Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    TRY THIS IF USB IS UNRESPONSIVE

On the pc, go to START - RUN - then type msconfig
    when the screen opens go to the services tab
    uncheck ALL security boxes
    APPLY
    restart

That wasn't successful on it's own, but I think it was a neccessary step.

after reboot go to RUN again and re-enter msconfig
    go to the startup tab and UNCHECK EVERYTHING - APPLY and restart again.

this time after reboot, open activesync and connect the phone. This worked for me. It took about thirty seconds for the pc to initiate a connection with Activesync. Now, in my case, the phone became unresponsive and I had to do a hard reset (it did successfully sync first, though). Then I had to go BACK through these steps again. I suspect something in my startup menu doesn't like the activesync pairing with the 8125 via usb, so I'm going to start by uninstalling all my Treo software from the pc. Then I'll go through all the startup items one by one until I find the culprit. I hope it's something Treo related, though (pdanet or HotSync).

I hope this helps someone out who was as frustrated with this as I was.

wow...good to see you got it working vinman. I take it MS got back to you and helped you out with that? Thanks for the future reference.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    MS? Not a chance. As of 9am this morning, I hadn't heard a word from MS. I called them as soon as I got to work and had them issue a refund.

Now I'm going to do something seldom heard in forums such as this...
    I would like to commend Cingular tech support for getting me in touch with HTC support - they are responsible for walking me through the steps necessary for the fix. The lady who helped me at Cingular was EXTREMELY courteous and took ownership of this issue as if it were her problem. If just half the people in the support industry were of her ilk then the world would be a much happier place.

Last edited by vinman; 03/08/2006 at 03:27 PM.
    What would be an example of a "security box"? The only one I have is the "Security Accounts Manager" and we can't really disable that service.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Just tried this on the first machine with the problem. No luck. The machine still won't connect via ActiveSync on USB. It does work via I/R ... which is slow but effective.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    im glad i dont experience these activesync problems
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Driven,
    security box means ANYTHING which has to do with your pc's security features. Actually, just go straight to the "Startup" tab and do that. I've rethought the other part, and I've had to go back and work on this more as I haven't figured out which startup program is causing the issue. I think going into the "Services" tab may be unnecessary. Try the startup procedure and see if that does the trick. It'll shutdown everything in your startup that isn't absolutely imperative for your pc to run. I bet that fixes the usb problem.

by the way, you DO have to REBOOT after clicking apply. Then, if the startup warning window pops up (it probably will), click the exit without restarting option. THEN you should be able to sync... (fingers crossed)
    driven: You'll have to apply a kb fixpack KB890927_v3.exe. This only works on XP SP2 and it replaces a number of files e.g. rndismpx.sys, usb8023x.sys, and netrndis.inf. After that USB should work fine.
    Oh, and if you don't have XP SP2, find someone with SP2 to install the fixpack for you. Then copy those files out onto your machine.
    I'll try the fixpack. Yes, I'm running SP2. Firewall is turned off though.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    driven: You'll have to apply a kb fixpack KB890927_v3.exe. This only works on XP SP2 and it replaces a number of files e.g. rndismpx.sys, usb8023x.sys, and netrndis.inf. After that USB should work fine.
    Where can that file be found?

I got it from Microsoft support. Had to contact them for it as per this page -> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890927. PM me with your email addr, and I'll send it to you.

This problem would never occur if Microsoft didn't use some bonehead design which layers a NDIS layer on top of the USB port instead of using a virtual COM port like all other apps!