1.    #1  
    Can someone help me out on syncing documents (XLS and DOC files) onto my 8125's Storage Card? I need step by step instructions because the files are loaded to my miniSD card, but when I make changes on my handheld, it doesn't sync with my laptop's file or vice versa. If possible, I would like the same functionality as Docs2Go on Palm, where my original file is left in it's original directory, and then syncronizes with my handheld. I would prefer not to use the WM'S documents folder as the place to store the documents. I followed some tutorial on Microsoft's Site with creating the 'My Documents' folder on my miniSD card and copying and pasting my XLS file from my laptop to the handheld, but this has not worked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    you have to enable file sync in active sync. It will then create a folder under your 'My Documents' folder on your desktop and place everything from your 8125 there and vice versa.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    PLEASE HELP ME SYNC?!?!?
    sorry for yelling.
    After spending 2.25 hours on the phone with an uncharacteristically helpful Cingular rep, I have gotten my 8125 to sync via IR. I don't have to tell anyone here how brain numbingly slow that is. My device or computer will not let me sync via usb. I suspect it's the device. I tried installing the software on three different XP computers with the same results. Windows hardware wizard recognizes a device, but not the correct device. It has installed it as a netwaork adapter, an HTP device (?), but not the smartphone. After pairing it via IR, I hoped it might make the leap to usb, but no luck. Any ideas?? Obviously people are getting this thing to work, but there are apparently those of us who aren't, as well. Ideas, please!?!

not so
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    you have to enable file sync in active sync. It will then create a folder under your 'My Documents' folder on your desktop and place everything from your 8125 there and vice versa.

What about syncing to storage card? I would rather save my documents to the storage card.

Vinman - have you tried a different cable? Another option is to get a cheap BT USB adapter for your laptop and sync wirelessly. I don't use my cable except to charge. BT sync is pretty quick. Does your cable charge the phone when it is plugged into the USB port?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    the cable does charge the device. I tried a different cable and it provided the same results. I have tried to connect via bt, but didn't go in depth enough to get it to work. From what I understand, bt is not as fast as the usb connection, so loading mp3 and video onto the device takes a long time. It's also the point - this thing was expensive enough to work properly (sound familiar :-/ ).

I also decided to trake a half day off work and bite the $35 bullet and call MS. That was an error in judgemet. I paid the money, spent 35 minutes building a case file only to be told that the queue was closed and I'd get a call back within 24hrs. WTF?

Now, you did raise an interesting idea - memory card? How do I do that? I am going to buy a car reader today. I mean, if I can't install 3rd party apps, music, video, sync my stuff - I don't really need this thing. I'm intrigued - please tell me more...

by the way, I did buy a 1gb card for this thing, so storage room shouldn't be an issue.
  6.    #6  
    I'm sorry vinman...sorry to get your hopes up. My 'storage card' comment was to ryanc2's comment about syncing documents. I'm having trouble syncing documents to my storage card. I don't know of a way to sync everything to storage card then to sync from storage card to device. You can install 3rd party apps by loading the '.CAB' file to the storage card, then running it from your device. But in terms of syncing contacts, email, tasks, etc..., I don't know how to do that via card.

You would definitely want a mem card reader anyway if you're going to load up the card with videos and mp3s. Yes, the USB is faster than BT (not by much - I'm pretty surprised at how fast BT syncing is), but it will still take a while to load media via USB. Definitely better off going with a reader to load that stuff.

That really sucks about the syncing through the cable. I used the ActiveSync that was on the CD that came with it. I installed that first, then plugged in my device. I have read that problems arised when people used a different USB port than the one they originally plugged it into. I'm not sure what to tell you. It could be your device and it isn't communicating properly to your computer when it is plugged in via USB. You should try to setup BT properly. The ActiveSync 'Help' file tells you exactly step-by-step how to do it - I had no problem following those directions. Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    There is a tab I had unchecked once in my Active sync window. First make sure you are using version 4.1 then check this tab. File\connection settings check allow USB connections. Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    A side note. I have bluetooth sync setup with mine. I like how it syncs all the contacts and crap, but it take forever to try and sync any kind of media. Definetly glad my lappy has a SD card reader.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    ls3mach
    that window is checked - good idea, though.

phatty,
    I'll set up bt, but I want to talk to ms tech first. I'm really determined to get this thing to work or replace it with one that does. I'm morally opposed to paying this much for a device that doesn't do everything it should. My biggest issue is that my time is worth WAY more than I've already spent to get it fixed!

Thanks

phattysalz -

didn't read your post close enough about the sd part. I will need to do the same thing once my 2GB card arrives. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Please do the same.

Thanks...
  11.    #11  
    ryanc2 - I was never able to figure it out. I also keep forgetting that this 8125 has quite a bit more memory than the treo, so right now I'm having no problems syncing normally to the device memory. I sync the documents that will need modification and I simply copy documents that I need for reference only to my miniSD card. This has been working fine, though I would eventually like to sync to the storage card.