Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so the 8125, the MDA, the K-Jam are all the same phones on the inside, and despite dismal reviews some people give the MDA, everyone praises the 8125 and Jam for the most part. I had a sidekick II and dropped it, so I got the 650 because of the keyboard as I text, AIM, and browse the internet/email all day. The 650 although a great phone in many aspects constantly resets at random times, I have installed nothing, I have tried custom roms, real palm roms, and still just random resets or the phone won't wake up after sitting all night. Is the MDA a worth wild move for me based on what I use the phone for? Look forward to your responses.

J
    I took it for a spin the other day. While I must admit it is a sweet device, I need a 24/7 keyboard. Also, stylus use seemed unavoidable.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    I'm ok with the keyboard setup as I'm familiar with the SKII, stylus use is under my belt as well as I had a IPaq 6315 which by the way is the worst PDA phone ever. I used bluetooth and voice command on it when it worked and it was great so as a phone if its indeed stable, and BT and VC are installed I will be happy with the talking/phone part of the deal as well.

Could someone explain EDGE to me, I have T-mobile and I know they don't have it but they are flashing the MDA and that feature all over their website so maybe its something to come.
    I switched from a 600 to a QTek 9100 (same as MDA) and I can say that I find it a more compelling upgrade than the 650. It has many advantages that the 650 doesn't including Edge (T-Mobile does have edge, I'm happily using it now), WiFi, the ability to install apps into flash memory without a 3rd party tool and multitasking.

The big thing for me is I want to use my 9100 in multiple ways. IMO there is more development in WM5 than there is in POS. Tivo-to-go, Slingbox (soon), Orb and Skype are just some examples of software that is currently made for WM but not POS.

I also like watching videos on a 4:3 screen of the 9100 rather than the square screen of the 600/650.

Granted, the Treo still has the BEST form factor out of all smartphones, but I think the functionality of the 9100 more than makes up for it.

In the end I think they are both really good phones, the 9100 fit MY needs you'll have to make your own evaluation.

And BTW, you might have got a lemon of a 650, I would exchange it for another one. The 650 IS more stable than what you describe, especially if you haven't installed any 3rd party apps in it.
  5.    #5  
    Where and how much did you purchase the QTEC for? I noticed the MDA costs 399 which is alot cheaper than my unlocked treo.
    I paid a premium for it, but I've had it for months now. Now I would getthe MDA as its easy to unlock and I'm a T-Mobile customer anyway.
  7.    #7  
    yeah through my company I get them for 299 so I'm going to swing by tmo store and see if they have an active one.
    A couple of questions, because my Treo 600 no longer works with my corporate email and I now have to get a new phone (and am on T-Mo): can you get email from M$ Exchange 2003 Server wirelessly (if so, does/can it push); is there an MP3 player on the MDA that will play DRM files; is there a good GPS solution compatible for the MDA; does it come with the Pocket Office apps like Work and Excel?

Thanks!
    Pocket Office comes standard with all pocket pc devices. As for playing DRM files windows media player 10 can handle these (also standard with wm5).
    I read somewhere that the lighting on the keyboard is pretty bad, and if so that would be a deal breaker for me. I'm otherwise just about to get one of these MDA's.
    The keyboard lighting is a very nice blue and looks and works great in the dark. Unfortunately, the color doesn't work well in normal or bright lighting; the black letters on the silver keys would work fine without the lighting. I'd like to have the option to turn the lighting off to improve visibility as well as battery life, but I don't think that's possible -at least not with the stock device. It seems like a simple fix or mod with a ROM update or perhaps a registry edit.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I can finally say that the device now has push functinality. This is not the SMS triggered version, but the full-on push that MS has been talking about with WM5. You may wait until T-Mobile releases their update, or you can just load the one that I-Mate released for the K-Jam. It is pretty fast too. I was previously only syncing my email, but now, with this ROM update, I sync my calendar, tasks, contacts, and email fast than I was doing just email before. this really is a nice update.

The battery life seems to have improved dramatically for me as well. I was previously seeing six to seven hours of use per charge (two or three days worth) but right now my battery is at 40% with an indicated 5 hours of use left (and the indicator is always nicely accurate)! That will be WELL over ten hours of use...Certainly equal to or maybe beating the 650. We'll see if this lasts or turns out to be a fluke. It has even been on bluetooth and connected to the net all day!
    That's about what I'm getting too. But I'm having serious reception problems at a critical location for me -one where I also would be setting up an Exchange push. I can't even get phone calls there. I'm also having problems with pulling my Comcast mail. Correspondents have gotten responses bounced back with "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently" messages. This has happened from three different servers: an Exchange one, Yahoo, and gmail. I've had a service order in since last Wednesday to deal with the reception problem. Reception in most locations has been fine. I've had a full four bars in my home office and most other areas.

Edit - I fixed my email problem; it was my error in setting it up as .com instead of .net. dahhh... Actually works quite nicely now...

I'll learn tomorrow if the reception/coverage problem was solved -crossing my fingers, because otherwise I'm 85-90% pleased with the MDA.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 03/06/2006 at 10:34 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    These are very nice reviews/posts for someone looking at the MDA to replace a T600, so thank you! Its a really bad market for convergence phones right now, lots of compromises and choices, but unlike when the 600 came out, not one real stand out choice in the crowd, unless you want to import a European device at a pretty hefty cost and run on regular old GSM (not edge) until HSPDA comes out.

Its looking more and more like the MDA for me, because I'm on T-Mo, don't want to spend $600 on an unlocked 650, can't wait for a hypothetical 700p, and don't want to add $50 a month to my cell bill so I can use EvDo.
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    These are very nice reviews/posts for someone looking at the MDA to replace a T600, so thank you! Its a really bad market for convergence phones right now, lots of compromises and choices, but unlike when the 600 came out, not one real stand out choice in the crowd, unless you want to import a European device at a pretty hefty cost and run on regular old GSM (not edge) until HSPDA comes out.

Its looking more and more like the MDA for me, because I'm on T-Mo, don't want to spend $600 on an unlocked 650, can't wait for a hypothetical 700p, and don't want to add $50 a month to my cell bill so I can use EvDo.
    I'm right there with ya - one more freelance project and I'm getting the MDA. Can't wait any longer since my 600 isn't doing it for me anymore.

I've played with the MDA in the store and liked it, and these reviews are very helpful. Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I'm right there with ya - one more freelance project and I'm getting the MDA. Can't wait any longer since my 600 isn't doing it for me anymore.

I've played with the MDA in the store and liked it, and these reviews are very helpful. Thanks all.
    I'm looking at the HTC Universal/i-mate JasJar/O2 XDA Exec, etc. Have you considered that PDA? There are some reasons not to like that one either, but I think it compensates for the one bad part of the MDA=slower processor.

I've decided right now is a cruddy time to be looking into a new converged device.
    I'm looking at the HTC Universal/i-mate JasJar/O2 XDA Exec, etc. Have you considered that PDA? There are some reasons not to like that one either, but I think it compensates for the one bad part of the MDA=slower processor.

I've decided right now is a cruddy time to be looking into a new converged device.
    I have briefly (VERY briefly) considered the Universal, but a) it is way outta my price range, even used, and b) admittedly without having demo'd one myself, I think it will be a bit too bulky for me. I must say that I love the overall spec though. Given my budget, needs, and a little bit of bulkyphonephobia thrown in, I think the MDA will get me by for a year or so (until I get richer and the Loox T830 shrinks in size a little, incorporates the 850 band, and its UMTS can be used on North America bands ).

I actually think this is the beginning of a great time for converged devices. Unlike 2 years ago, we have one or two dozen choices these days, with numbers that seem to go up every month or so when new devices are announced. Compromise may be a bit of a problem still, but having a lot of options is lovely. This is just the beginning.
    So, what was the best price you saw on the Universal? I'm thinking that is may be out of my range as well, but its sure a nice looking device. I've also seen the Loox, but its not available right now, and I have a need right now......

I guess this means I'm giving up on Palm OS, at least for now.
  19.    #19  
    lol, so where can I sell my unbranded, unlocked, one month old treo 650 at? I must have the MDA
    So, what was the best price you saw on the Universal? I'm thinking that is may be out of my range as well, but its sure a nice looking device. I've also seen the Loox, but its not available right now, and I have a need right now......

I guess this means I'm giving up on Palm OS, at least for now.
    Because I never got too deep into researching it, the lowest I saw was about $800. I'm sure there are cheaper offers out there (eBay?).

I'm also nearing the "need right now" stage. I'll probably be jumping ship by April 15.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast