Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Because I never got too deep into researching it, the lowest I saw was about $800. I'm sure there are cheaper offers out there (eBay?).

    I'm also nearing the "need right now" stage. I'll probably be jumping ship by April 15.
    I'm scared to death to get a Universal on EBay, because if there is something wrong with it the only recourse I have is against the seller and they all seem to be overseas. But, at that price-point its too much because I would like to add a GPS solution as well.....

    My need is immediate, my 600 can't get my email any more. I must move soon......
  2. #22  
    Good point about buying from Ebay - too many scams going on these days to buy expensive items from there.

    So is it the MDA for sure then, or are you looking at any other devices?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Good point about buying from Ebay - too many scams going on these days to buy expensive items from there.

    So is it the MDA for sure then, or are you looking at any other devices?
    Well, I'm still torn on getting a 650, but I just don't think I do that on the verge of a 700p supposedly coming out. It'll be a while before anyone sees a GSM version of a 700p, and I can't wait. I'm still searching, but it seems like the choices avaiable in the next 30 days are a 650, MDA, or a Universal. A keyboard is the number one requirement, and use on T-Mo is number two so there isn't much else I could get right now.

    I see the Loox is coming, but I'm afraid to get the first version of this from an overseas supplier because I will have no one to go to for support. At least with the Universal I have a community I can turn to for help.

    All that summed up means I'm....
  4. #24  
    Sounds like just getting a 650 might work for you, unless the MDA has something extra that you would need like wifi, more advanced bluetooth, or multitasking.

    Of course getting an MDA would be cheaper than a new, unlocked 650 if you're ready for the form factor and OS adjustment. Also consider whether or not WM5 versions of your favorite PalmOS apps are available, because that would definitely add to your total device cost.

    I know - I'm not helping.
  5.    #25  
    If you do decide on the 650 I want to move to the MDA I will sell my unbranded/unlocked for cheaper than an MDA

    "I know - I'm not helping. " hahah
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Sounds like just getting a 650 might work for you, unless the MDA has something extra that you would need like wifi, more advanced bluetooth, or multitasking.

    Of course getting an MDA would be cheaper than a new, unlocked 650 if you're ready for the form factor and OS adjustment. Also consider whether or not WM5 versions of your favorite PalmOS apps are available, because that would definitely add to your total device cost.

    I know - I'm not helping.
    A 650 would work, but $600 for that phone is a lot to ask, and the limited on-board memory might drive me crazy. Of couse, a slower processor on the MDA might drive me crazy too.......

    The only app I can think of that I would really miss that I don't think is available for WM5 is Directory Assistant. That program I love. I haven't updated my 600 in a long time with some of the newer apps because something I did about a year ago sent it into a forever loop spiral and I just got sick of trying to recover from those.

    So, I don't know what to do. If the Universal were less than $1000, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Since I want a GPS add-on, I have to find something cheaper. Both the 650 and MDA have Edge support, and while I like the Palm form factor I'm not sure I love some of the problems with the 650 implementation like crippled bluetooth, etc.

    I guess I don't really know what I am doing, do I.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
    If you do decide on the 650 I want to move to the MDA I will sell my unbranded/unlocked for cheaper than an MDA

    "I know - I'm not helping. " hahah
    How old is your 650? Why sell it?
  8.    #28  
    One month old, and I switched jobs and they perfer WM based phones as for as support and paying for my plan and services. I liked the Treo, will be hard to part with it as I had really bad luck with my Ipaq and WM3, hopefully the MDA and WM5 will be alot better.
  9. #29  
    So, it may be an MDA after all. I found a link to a weblog that shows how to get direct push email off an Exchange 2k3 SP2 server with IPA 2004 running on it. Direct push email would be a deal maker.

    Also, the best I can find on an Universal is $900. That is just too pricey for me no matter how cool that thing is. The one pimple on the Universal, by the way, is no EDGE.
  10. #30  
    No EDGE on the Universal? Somehow I never noticed that.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    No EDGE on the Universal? Somehow I never noticed that.
    Yeah, they opted for UMTS instead, though it does not have HSPDA either. Still, for that processor, screen, and cool design I'd look the other way of EDGE if it weren't so expensive......
  12. #32  
    I'm curious about something that I have not figured out for the MDA---can it run multiple bluetooth items at once?
  13. Silver5's Avatar
    Posts
    529 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #33  
    I think it can use multiple bluetooth items at once. If I remember correctly, my Jam could, so I expect that this phone will, though I have not tried it.

    Also, you said that push email was mandatory...well, it is now here. Not just the SMS triggered push from the Exchange server, but the full push that everyone has been waiting for with WM5. Once you have the MDA, just download the ROM update for the I-Mate K-Jam and put in on your phone. It works perfectly on my Qtek 9100 and most others seem to really like it as well.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    So, it may be an MDA after all. I found a link to a weblog that shows how to get direct push email off an Exchange 2k3 SP2 server with IPA 2004 running on it. Direct push email would be a deal maker.

    Also, the best I can find on an Universal is $900. That is just too pricey for me no matter how cool that thing is. The one pimple on the Universal, by the way, is no EDGE.
    I'm surprised that people aren't bothered by the lack of an external display of any kind on the Universal. So you have to open it just to see who is calling or to view any alert/notification. Unless you leave it open all the time, I suppose...
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I'm surprised that people aren't bothered by the lack of an external display of any kind on the Universal. So you have to open it just to see who is calling or to view any alert/notification. Unless you leave it open all the time, I suppose...
    Well, you can turn the screen around and close the clamshell so it looks like the MDA when closed, right?

    Yeah, here is a photo I found. Actually, whats cool about the Universal is that you can leave the screen on the top like the MDA, but also turn it around and close it with the screen protected.

    http://www.mobileplanet.com/zoompic....em&code=126948
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions