Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...US-RIM-NTP.xml

RIM said it paid U.S. patent holding firm NTP Inc. $612.5 million to settle the dispute

That is a nice chunk of change
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I bet it would have been much larger had the patent office not started to revoke the NTP patents on review.

I think NTP took the money and ran.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Amazing how much money was wasted since RIM ended up paying , more than it was going to orginally and it cost heaven only knows in legal fees,

BTW I think BB is way over rated!! Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Too bad RIM didn't pay last June when the deal was for $450M.
    The lawyers win everytime.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    now hopefully the carriers will release BB connect with the newest "BIG FIRMWARE RELEASE"

sigh
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Too bad RIM didn't pay last June when the deal was for $450M.
    One more time, I am sure that shakespear was right...kill all the lawyers! take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    meh,

i think we should concentrate on killing patent trolls, NTP being first in line.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I wonder how the Visto suit against Good, Seven and MS will end up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jw68
    I wonder how the Visto suit against Good, Seven and MS will end up?
    I doubt Visto will succeed because they took on one too many defendants - no one, not even the federal government, can outspend M$oft on a deal like this if they choose to fight.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    NTP had all of their patents invalidated by the patent office. I read that in thier suit against Seven, Visto was ablt to have at least one of their patents reaffirmed.
    It was more complicated than just $450M or not. The reason RIM had not settled for 450 is at least because NTP would not agree to not follow through and sue RIM's carriers and other partners. I think that NTP also wanted continuing royalties or higher royalties. The extra bucks must have gotten the concession on not suing partners and an agreement on royalties or no royalties -although NTP is already getting royalties from others. Also, stalling until the last patent in question was denied probably got RIM a) the concessions it needed to settle and b) the judge's continuing choice to not order the US shut-down that NTP had won.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    So that's why RIM refused to settle the last time? Well OK, I thought they were just being stubborn. But I still wonder if they might not have taken a hit to their service. Once other devices were discovered, who went back to BB? Unless they offer another great updated device like the 8700, who would return to BB after the Treo or a PPC?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They did take a hit. They announced the settlement but also warned that their quareterly earnings (and new subscriber counts) were going to fall far short of forecasts.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.