Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Take at look at the official website, and tell me what it is:

http://www.origamiproject.com

Here are some clues:

This sounds awfully close to what InterMec and NEC Mobile Pro series started ( http://www.necsam.com/mobilesolution...MobilePro/900/ ).

I guess we now have to wait until March 9th to find out for sure.
    I think you will have to wait for origami "orgasm" for at least a year.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    As much as I'm very interested in this "Origami" device, I think there are plenty of other options out there. This does kill my interest in the Nokia 770 and Pepperpad but not the OQO, FlipStart or DualCor device coming.

It kills my interest in the Nokia 770 and Pepperpad just because it will be easier to find Windows apps than what I could find for these Linux-based systems. If I'm gonna invest in a new hybrid device, I want it to be a bigger suppliment to my laptop than what a PDA brings and not deal with converting document formats and that kind of garbage.

The question is does my next hybrid replace my Treo 650 and my lineage with Handspring/Palm. I'm still not sure because I don't know if any of these fit all of my needs yet. I love the concept of DualCor but misses a keyboard which is huge. FlipStart and OQO I venture to say are pretty much similar devices both closer to a laptop replacement than a smartphone/pda replacement. This leaves me to "Origami" which again has no keyboard (bad) but replaces laptop and PDA functions but no phone (I think).

So which way am I leaning towards? I'm more interested in FlipStart or OQO that "Origami" at this point mostly because of the lack of keyboard. I've never owned a tablet but I do remember my old Visors and how much nicer it was once the Thumboards came out. That being said, I will keep using my Treo 650 but it may be the end of the line for me with Palm and PalmOS especially if no built-in WiFi comes (no matter which OS the Treo is).

This new form of hybrids really are clouding the convergence that is known as "smartphones" today. If I buy one of these, it may change the way I use the PDA functions of my smartphone. If I'm carrying one of these, why do I need a smartphone once my 650 dies?

In reality, the DualCor could be the killer of all of these IF it had a keyboard and was sized right to be a comfortable phone to the ear. That being said, Palm could still be in this space in time. We're not there just yet but soon a "Smartphone" and these ultra-small hybrid PCs will converge as well. Palm knows how to make a good form-factor and now has a partnership with Microsoft so you just never know....
    BTW ,flip start is coming soon for last 2 years . Easy to eliminate . Peeperpad seems clumsy.
    So the future is now mini-PCs afterall? I asked this before in another thread and people said no.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Mini-pc's with built in phone precisely.
    You don't need smartphones when you have portable phonecomputers.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    So the future is now mini-PCs afterall? I asked this before in another thread and people said no.
    I didn't....I said that there is a diffident market for it!
    Actually, I was thinking of those people who said the other model was for multi-media only. I found it hard to believe since the device also has a bunch of web browsing capabilites.

You know what thread I mean? I think it's still around.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i honestly can't wait for this to come out. i'm actually posting from my nokia 770 right now, i use it sometimes.

to be honest, i hate it, but it's definately a better web browser than the treo, but it never leaves home. Despite the fact that it runs linux, there are approximately 3 or 4 apps for it. there's a promising rdp client that's not finished (abandoned) and it's taking me forever to write this. the geeks sure do love porting the command line tools tho!

ugh when an affordable pc based device comes out, i'll happily sell this and trade way up.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Ahhhh....saw ya thread this morning when Iwas looking at pictures so I didn't bother to post em.....now gotta find them again
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    i'm actually posting from my nokia 770 right now, i use it sometimes.

to be honest, i hate it, but it's definately a better web browser than the treo, but it never leaves home. Despite the fact that it runs linux, there are approximately 3 or 4 apps for it. there's a promising rdp client that's not finished (abandoned) and it's taking me forever to write this. the geeks sure do love porting the command line tools tho!

ugh when an affordable pc based device comes out, i'll happily sell this and trade way up.
    I was at one point really drooling at the 770....until I played with one in CompUSA!
    I think one of the cool things about some of tese Origami devices is they will run both Windows and WM5.
    Dualcor seems more attractive than origami .
    I do n't think origami has built in phone . Also origami seems to be a bit bigger than dualcor .
    I don't know what's exciting about it , there are laptops of that size already available from NEC and sony as Hobbes said.
  14.    #15  
    I cannot see the video......Is it just my system (or one of it's firewalls or security programs blocking it) or can you see this video:

http://www.origamiportal.com/modules...c_id=4&forum=1
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I cannot see the video......Is it just my system (or one of it's firewalls or security programs blocking it) or can you see this video:

http://www.origamiportal.com/modules...c_id=4&forum=1
    Works for me with firefox on a mac with pop block.
    It's too big , definitely not pocketable.
    Seems like the guy needed a separate professional camera, there was a separate keyboard on a leather case wired to the Org., and even the cell phone/cam was separate. Evidently you needed wifi as well.

Not a treo or an untra-small-laptop killer to me.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    "As shown in the leaked video, Origami machines will feature a touch-sensitive screen a la Microsoft's tablet PC line, will run Windows XP, and will be priced lower than most full-size laptops, running from around $500 to $1,000"
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Seems like the guy needed a separate professional camera, there was a separate keyboard on a leather case wired to the Org., and even the cell phone/cam was separate. Evidently you needed wifi as well.

Not a treo or an untra-small-laptop killer to me.

Right on !!
    I thought about the same thing . Where is the integration ? There are devices out there doin the same thing with a smaller size.
    BTW, "This is still work in progress" per microsoft.
    guys,

that is an old video. check out engadget, over this week they have put out more details. it is pretty much a bare screen probably running xp tablet. No phone, no pocket pc integration (that's only the dualcore).

also, probably won't have the big clunky design of this old marketing video, but still not very pocketable.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/o...sung-hardware/
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast