Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This sounds awfully close to what InterMec and NEC Mobile Pro series started ( http://www.necsam.com/mobilesolution...MobilePro/900/ ).

I guess we now have to wait until March 9th to find out for sure.
    That's funny, to me it sounds awfully close to Apple's Mobile Me.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    ...tell me what it is:
    It's an expensive marketing push for the next Microsoft failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I think one of the cool things about some of tese Origami devices is they will run both Windows and WM5.
    Yeah....this will hopefully allow us to boot to the other OS to fix devices that are no longer working under th other one.
    I saw this announced on TV this morning. Is it for sale now, or was that just an announcement?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Origami devices aren't for sale yet, they were just "announced" at CeBit today. They should be coming out in the next couple of months with a sub-$1000 pricetag, but the first generation Origami devices will almost assuredly be well above their $500 price target. They'll come down as the holiday shopping season nears.

It's an interesting concept, and definitely a viable alternative to the OQO (how long have we been waiting on them to get it right, and be affordable?) and the DualCor.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Interesting that the two devices listed on MS's website are made by Samsung and Asus, I would have expected people like HP, Dell, Siemens Fujitsu, Toshiba, etc to be first out with a device

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/hardware.mspx
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Interesting that the two devices listed on MS's website are made by Samsung and Asus, I would have expected people like HP, Dell, Siemens Fujitsu, Toshiba, etc to be first out with a device

Don't read too much into it, you'll hear more from the bigger names soon.
    I'm back!
    Samsung isn't considered a big name?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not in the North American PC market, no.

But apparently TazUK was looking for a Dell announcement today as well.
    I'm back!

Thanks for the link!

I am so not interested in an Origami device.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It seems that the hardware spec was defined by Intel, here's some info on their website

http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/platform/umpc.htm
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Sure they're big but generally not a brand that would expect to see at a product launch like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    I am so not interested in an Origami device.
    I am somewhat, if it's usable for short business trips where you don't need to access desktop programs, which it looks like it might be good for. I like the Dualcor a bit better though. But neither can totally replace my laptop(due to the programs on it), so I'm not sure I'm going to get one. I never know when I may need to access a program when travelling.

I am somewhat, if it's usable for short business trips where you don't need to access desktop programs, which it looks like it might be good for. I like the Dualcor a bit better though. But neither can totally replace my laptop(due to the programs on it), so I'm not sure I'm going to get one. I never know when I may need to access a program when travelling.
    Seeing the Origami and DualCor devices makes me wonder why I'm not paying more attention to the Universal.
    I'm back!
    It seems pretty cool, but I think I'll just stick with my ultra-portable laptop, and my Treo(although a couple of WM devices have been catching my eye lately...)
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Sure they're big but generally not a brand that would expect to see at a product launch like this.
    It's not really a product launch; it's a platform launch. Samsung and Asus are ahead of the others -again- in having prototypes of it. I'd bet on Acer or another smaller company to get ready ahead of the Dells. Dell was late to Mp3 as well and never caught up even with the smaller players, including Samsung.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Actually it can make for a pretty sweet PMP replacement, IF it doesn't cost double that of a PMP.

I can run Meedio on it.
    This is a Tablet XP-based platform, so it runs virtually any Windows program, plus it has pen/touch-screen and other functionalities. The main attraction I see for this is ultra-portability, meaning low weight and high battery life. And I'd imagine built-in wireless access to networks as well as our other wireless and virtual devices including Treos, MDAs, Blackberries, Mp3 players, Sling devices, X-Boxes, Tivo and other video boxes, and probably even Apple stuff.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Think of it like this. For $600 you get a full computer. With our Treos or WM5 devices you get a PDA/Phone for about the same $$'s, no hard drive, less memory, less peripheral options, smaller screen, some without wifi...etc...

Makes the price look a lot better. Now pair that with a Slingbox and I may be a serious customer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast