1.    #1  
    Ok, I feel like a trader after just coming home with a PPC 6700...after I have been a Treo user from early 300 to 650. However, I was woo-ed by the power of the 6700 (and the keyboard) and at the same time disappointed in the Treo 700w screen.

However, there is a huge learning curve on the new device (I almost took it back after the first day). I know I need to give it time, but there has to be an easier way to do the simple everyday tasks I did with my Treo 650 (which I still have, just incase).

Does anyone have any suggestions, articles or apps that might help me adapt to my new device?

Thanks,
    Gerald
    Hence my aversion to converting.

Check out the threads in other handhelds. Lots of PPC6700 folks in there(converted from Treos). Check the posts of dStrauss. (click on his name in one of his posts -- that takes you to a profile screen where you can review all his posts.) I believe he wrote a lengthy post on his experience in this regard within the last month.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by geralds
    Ok, I feel like a trader after just coming home with a PPC 6700...after I have been a Treo user from early 300 to 650. However, I was woo-ed by the power of the 6700 (and the keyboard) and at the same time disappointed in the Treo 700w screen.

However, there is a huge learning curve on the new device (I almost took it back after the first day). I know I need to give it time, but there has to be an easier way to do the simple everyday tasks I did with my Treo 650 (which I still have, just incase).

Does anyone have any suggestions, articles or apps that might help me adapt to my new device?

Thanks,
    Gerald
    I was a Treo 650 owner, switched to the 6700 for about 6 weeks, and am now back to the 650. I had the same issues with "simple everyday tasks" and was never able to find a satisfactory solution to my problems. However, there is a web site and discussion forum (http://www.ppc6700users.com) dedicated to the 6700, and it's seeing a lot of activity right now. I was a mod over there (still am, technically) and found a lot of good information about tweaking the 6700 to meet my needs. In the end though, I decided the drawbacks outweighed the benefits, so I'm back to my trusty 650.
    I think you are in the wrong forum. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by brickjr
    I was a Treo 650 owner, switched to the 6700 for about 6 weeks, and am now back to the 650. I had the same issues with "simple everyday tasks" and was never able to find a satisfactory solution to my problems. However, there is a web site and discussion forum (http://www.ppc6700users.com) dedicated to the 6700, and it's seeing a lot of activity right now. I was a mod over there (still am, technically) and found a lot of good information about tweaking the 6700 to meet my needs. In the end though, I decided the drawbacks outweighed the benefits, so I'm back to my trusty 650.
    What specific drawbacks did you find? I'm looking at jumping ship from a 700 and may not have thought of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    What specific drawbacks did you find? I'm looking at jumping ship from a 700 and may not have thought of everything.
    Well, the main thing was that it isn't as easy to navigate as the 650. Everyone brags about multitasking on the 6700, but it comes at a price. If you have several programs running in the background, you could wait as much as 10-15 seconds for a program you are trying to open. It doesn't sound like much, but it gets really annoying very quickly.

It's also just not as intuitive as the 650. Trying to do something that just takes a couple of button presses on the 650 takes a lot more effort on the 6700.

Looking at it from the other perspective, the things that I liked about the 6700 were the keyboard, wifi, and evdo. Unfortunately, evdo doesn't work where I live and I just didn't use the wifi that much. So the keyboard was the only big advantage, and it wasn't big enough to justify keeping it.

Finally, a lot of people say the 6700 is more powerful and has more memory. Well, WM5 programs are MUCH larger, so it NEEDS more memory. As for the power... I have yet to see something the 6700 can do that the 650 can't. I may be looking through tinted glasses though, because I think the 650 is an EXCELLENT device overall.
    Also see:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/f...play.php?f=174 for good 6700 advice.

Brickjr is right though, the best upgrade and hack info is on ppc6700users.

Good device, just very different from the Treo. I've adapted pretty well, but I came from the T600>XV6600 and then the 6700.

Bob Duckworth
    I went from Treo600 to PPC-6700 and back again to the Treo600. No experience with the 700 however so I don't mean to hijack the thread. I had the PPC-6700 for two weeks. Surfed ppc6700users at length; downloaded software to improve use of the device including focusing on task simplification and one-handed improvements (WebIS Pocket Informant, MS Voice Command, etc.); but at the end of the day, while I LOVED wi-fi and EVDO, it just was too cumbersome to use the device for simple functions even after the software improvements. Sent it back to Sprint. Maybe I didn't give it enough time or maybe I'm biased considering I've had the Treo since October of '03. I miss the advanced capabilities of the PPC but when in doubt...simplify.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yep, in depth; and many others as well. Voice Command really got me close but I think I just need the keyboard out and ready when I need it. Anyway, personal preference I suppose. I loved that I could surf the web QUICKLY via wi-fi while not missing incoming phone calls. But for everyday tasks such as adding a meeting, task, sending an email or sms or other repetitive functions, the Palm interface and OS (along with good software like Initiate, 2day, Takephone, Snapper, etc) is easier for me. I already miss the PIE web browser and speed though....:-(
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    ContactBreeze makes looking up numbers a piece of cake.

MajicButton allows you to easily view running apps and allows you to "close all" amoung other things.

PHM regedit allows you to chabge the registry so you can get the PPC to acct the way you want it.

MortButtons will stop accidental pocket calls.

The EV and wifi are nice, the screen is awesome! The KB is big enough to make it usable but a pain to open and close all the time.

My apps ran better and faster on the treo, the treos external KB makes it way easier to use. I still have programs that aren't compatible with the WM5 file structure on the card, (programs can't find their data).

Palm and the Treo are more user friendly.

I don't fully regret my PPC because I love new toys but palm and the Treo are the best of the best.

My advice, take the PPC back!

Hi brickjr, all at PPC6700user is kinda slow.