Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    ok, so I'm one of those who has become completely frustrated with the 650 - not because I couldn't figure it out - simply because it was unreliabe and lacking. Some weeks ago, I came back into this forum hoping to find some new solutions and found a few other things instead. I found the 700W. That was interesting. Not because I don't like Palm, mind you; but because I knew they couldn't get away with releasing a Windows product that was super buggy. Then I see talk of the device I now hold in my sweaty hands - the 8125. I was vowed and determined to see one in person before buying, and after persistently calling every Cingular store in a 50 mile radius almost daily for over a week, I found one. I went, I saw, I wrote a check. Within an hour of getting home I fried my laptop's power supply (so I haven't gotten to sync it yet), read through the pathetic "quickstart guide" (I sure hope there is a better manual on the cd), made a few phonecalls, got WiFi working (took some persistence and a trip to hofo), and set up my email account on Outlook.

My overall impression of this thing is that it's fantastic. The ability to use WiFi is, well, if you have it you understand. That alone has made it a worthwhile purchase for me. My Treo had become so slow (we have edge in our area) that sometimes it would take 5 minutes to download a full forum page at treocentral/mobile!

There are a few things that I'll have to get used to. For example, I'm not crazy about this keyboard (I'm using it now). It takes a little too much pressure to press the keys. It's a little annoying. I'm having to get used to the new OS. It's not bad, just different. I'll be much happier when I get my laptop going again so I can sync my contacts and read a real manual.

So far though, I have to say WOW!

I agree. The keyboard takes some getting used to. But now that I am used to it, I can type very fast. I really like the keyboard design. Widescreen internet browsing is nice (I know it is still 320 pixels, but the look just seems better). WM takes some getting used to but it is very stable.
    can't wait to get mine later this week.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Today I hit my first snag - seems there's an issue with activesync. My computer tries to install this thing as anything BUT what it is. I'll take some time tomorrow and track down a tech number. :-( Still digging the wifi, though! Oh yeah, wifi does, in fact, EAT batteries!

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Can anyone compare the keyboard of the T-mobile MDA vs the Cingular 8125?

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    It truely is a great device. I dig my PPC-6700. I dont use wifi too much, but I like the option. The keyboard for me is fine, I just kinda dislike the slide. I wouldnt mind it so much if I could leave the thing in landscape mode. Landscape is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Can anyone compare the keyboard of the T-mobile MDA vs the Cingular 8125?

Timmay
    Aren't they the same device? (only the firmware is different?)
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    They are on the inside, but the design is different on the outside.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Cingular 8125 has square flat keys very close to each other. It can make typing difficult. The MDA has oval spaced keys, its defintely different from what I've seen. I love my MDA, its unlocked now and I have it running my life for the moment. Even my Law professor was blown away when I sent one of my assignments to him during class on his laptop via bluetooth. No problems what so ever...so far.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    It truely is a great device. I dig my PPC-6700. I dont use wifi too much, but I like the option. The keyboard for me is fine, I just kinda dislike the slide. I wouldnt mind it so much if I could leave the thing in landscape mode. Landscape is awesome.
    I think you can leave it in landscape mode... check the settings.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    I think you can leave it in landscape mode... check the settings.

Not that I have found. When you slide the keyboard it will get swapped back,
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Any of you have problems setting up the device for activesync? I've found a few articles on the subject, but I can't even try the suggestions because I'm waiting for a new power supply for my laptop. Any good solutions? Oh, I just ordered a Sandisk 1gb mini SD from ecost for $45!! If I can get this thing to sync, I'll be able to load stuff onto it

Oh, and regarding WiFi battery usage...
    Today, while off work, I got about five hours with the WiFi radio on and connected before I got my first low battery warning. That pops up at 20% remaining. I guess that means about 6.5 or 7 hours tops with moderate active usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Not that I have found. When you slide the keyboard it will get swapped back,

Start->Settings->System->Screen. You can put it in landscape mode there (right or left handed). Not the most convenient way to switch the screen orientation, but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Start->Settings->System->Screen. You can put it in landscape mode there (right or left handed). Not the most convenient way to switch the screen orientation, but it works.
    In addition - when the keyboard slides out, the screen will rotate the correct way no matter what, however when it is slid back in, it goes back to portrait. Should be a better way - I like how the LifeDrive has the button right on the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    The Cingular 8125 has square flat keys very close to each other. It can make typing difficult. The MDA has oval spaced keys, its defintely different from what I've seen. I love my MDA, its unlocked now and I have it running my life for the moment. Even my Law professor was blown away when I sent one of my assignments to him during class on his laptop via bluetooth. No problems what so ever...so far.
    Which do you recommend for smaller fingers? MDA or 8125? I might get the 8125 afterall, if I can unlock it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Another one of those "try before you buy" moments I'm afraid. I only tapped on an MDA after buying the 8125, but really glad I bought the 8125. I've NEVER liked little chiclet keys, even those as good as a Treo 650. The 8125 just seems to be a real keybaord when you are typing on it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    this thing is never going to get off backorder.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Yeah, it's off the website. Is it no longer in stores too?

Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Today I hit my first snag - seems there's an issue with activesync. My computer tries to install this thing as anything BUT what it is. I'll take some time tomorrow and track down a tech number. :-( Still digging the wifi, though! Oh yeah, wifi does, in fact, EAT batteries!

Note that there is an adjustment for wi-fi: In the Communications Manager (I have the MDA, but I presume the 8125 also has this.), hit the settings key and select wi-fi settings. The go to the Power Mode tab. The Best Battery choice on the slide adjustment makes a big difference for battery life and for me the performance has still been excellent (no noticeable difference on my home ofice network). (8125 MMV, but you should see a significant improvement)
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 03/02/2006 at 06:06 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Does anyone know if the 8125, mda, and the 700w operate at different processor speeds? I don't mean from a web-surfing or any perspective that's based on a carrier or wi-fi, I just mean from the perspective of speed of the device. I had the mda for 2 days and it "moves" very slow compared to the 650. Also, beyond the 700w, is there a WM device that uses a regular sd card and not the mini sd?
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast