Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You know you want it. Go for it. You ought to get 6 good months, maybe a year, before the 700p ships so you can compare.

Seriously, its going to take some real upgrading of the Treo 7xx to lure this old fogy back to Palm.
    Yeah. I know I want it. There's no disputing that. The question is though, do I want it to replace my Treo? Maybe it could just complement my Treo? Damn it, I'm too addicted to gadgets!
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Honestly, I don't think slide-out keyboards really replace the Treo, if you really like one-handed operation. That is actually the one feature that is my least favorite about the Wizard and all it's offspring. Although I don't necessarily mind two hands, it'll be less of a chance for my clumsy self to drop it, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And less of a chance for it to break, too. I actually like slide-put keyboards though. There's a big part of the time when I don't use my Treo's keyboard, after all. I once saw a smartphone that had a readily-accessible qwerty keyboard, and then a bigger slide-out keyboard. How redundant is that?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I much prefer the Treo formfactor and keyboard. I also find the Treo easier to type on.

as for Activesync, I've gotten to the point that I've had to reinstall Windows to get it to work. we've seen this a lot. (granted I work with thousands of deployments .. ActiveSync problems would problably number a hundred or so)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    The only problem I had with Activesync on the MDA was that it was the slowest syncing I've ever had with any device -much slower than the last time I used it on an iPAQ 2215. But I changed the setting to not sync on connection, and voila! Now I do it manually by pressing the Sync button after double-clicking on the taskbar icon, and it's instantaneous. I don't know if you could do this with thousands of deployments -or how popular the solution or you'd be- but this may help.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The fist sync is apparently very slow (hours) , but subsequent syncs should not be. Try it again on automatic sync and see how it goes.

Surur
    once again, i dont understand the Acivesync problems you are having. very first time i synced up flawlessly and the first sync wasnt hours, it was on a minute or 2 to sync all my outlook contacts (about 190) and all my calendar appointments. and i dont have any problems syncing and installing apps. m very confused where the activesync problem is..

i have big hands so maybe thats why i find it rather easy to type onc handed with my 8125, it reminds me of typing on my SK2 one handed.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Honestly, I don't think slide-out keyboards really replace the Treo, if you really like one-handed operation. That is actually the one feature that is my least favorite about the Wizard and all it's offspring. Although I don't necessarily mind two hands, it'll be less of a chance for my clumsy self to drop it, LOL!
    I just don't understand the one-handed attraction (no pun intended). Maybe it's just old hands, but I couldn't reasonably use it one-handed. Dialing on those small buttons wasn't all that great either. Touch screen dialing, basically stinks, What is really needed is a is a small flip-down telephone dial pad.

I really do prefer the 8125 keyboard to the Treo. And the sound quality, at both ends of a conversation, is so much better than the Treo (no more "what did you say)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    The only problem I had with Activesync on the MDA was that it was the slowest syncing I've ever had with any device -much slower than the last time I used it on an iPAQ 2215. But I changed the setting to not sync on connection, and voila! Now I do it manually by pressing the Sync button after double-clicking on the taskbar icon, and it's instantaneous. I don't know if you could do this with thousands of deployments -or how popular the solution or you'd be- but this may help.
    I guess it's worth a try, but the real problem is this:

- ActiveSync just stopped detecting ANYTHING that's plugged into the USB port.
    - Once it gets into this state, it does this for ANY device that's plugged into the machine.

If I find a solution to this, I'll post it.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The fist sync is apparently very slow (hours) , but subsequent syncs should not be. Try it again on automatic sync and see how it goes.

Surur
    I've re-set it to automatic and it's working fine now. I must have just been impatient the first week because I was loading music, ebook files, installing new programs, trials, etc., so I didn't want to go through the syncing each time I connected when there was nothing to sync. In any event, it's fine now and I've slowed down on my trialing and installing. Thanks.

(CP, I had not reported any problems with Activesync.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The AvantGo conduit is very slow (unfortunately) ... but the OTA sync isn't bad because you can choose when it runs.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I posted a very detailed fix for this specific problem. Have you checked it out? Essentially, there is something in your startup that is creating a problem with activesync working properly. Look it up and follow the steps and hopefully it'll solve the problem.

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Vinman, as soon as I find your post I'll give it a try. I certainly need a fix for this. (Hopefully yours will work).

My 8125 has gone back into the mode I had early on where the keyboard is constantly in caps mode and won't go back to lowercase. I can double-press the shift-lock and that works, until I go to compose the next message. The problem even survives a reboot. <sigh> I thought this problem was gone.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    i put magic button on first thing so i never had a problem with programs slowing the device down. i also put smartskey on too, great tool.

i have free copies of Resco and Weatherpanel if anyone wants. PM me

PM sent yesterday.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Yes. I miss it.

In fact, the first developer that comes out with threaded SMS on the Windows Mobile platform gets my money.

(I'm already digging in the APIs .. if I can find a way to do it I will.)

I'm almost done writing an app to dump the call log to a file that you can download to your PC.
    ... the call log is dumped. I just need a little more time to finish it.
    Not exactly what you are looking for, but this software is freaking awesome. It will backup and arcive text, phone logs, contacts and most importantly your pictures. You can then check these anywhere you have internet access. It will tell essentially thread your SMS to a specific person or list every call you two have ever had together. The picture backup is the coolest though, as you can make the pictures public and use them as uploaded images. Truely awesome program.

Magic button is a must have, but yes it does come with a performance hit. I noticed it immediatly. I havent found a smaller footprint memory manager though.

I would love to have threaded sms. One company has a ****ty beta. I tried it, totally worthless in my opinion. Plus it requires .net CF 2.0 eats up the memory.

Forgot to post the link.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    driven,
    look for the thread in this section "fix for unresponsive usb...". that's it. hopefully it'll help your 8125 issue - it sounds just like mine.

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Not exactly what you are looking for, but this software is freaking awesome. It will backup and arcive text, phone logs, contacts and most importantly your pictures. You can then check these anywhere you have internet access. It will tell essentially thread your SMS to a specific person or list every call you two have ever had together. The picture backup is the coolest though, as you can make the pictures public and use them as uploaded images. Truely awesome program.

Magic button is a must have, but yes it does come with a performance hit. I noticed it immediatly. I havent found a smaller footprint memory manager though.

I would love to have threaded sms. One company has a ****ty beta. I tried it, totally worthless in my opinion. Plus it requires .net CF 2.0 eats up the memory.

Forgot to post the link.
    This looks REALLY nice. As soon as I get a break today I'm going to download it.

The CF .NET memory hit isn't a big deal. I'm using it to author my own apps so I won't be writing anything much smaller. I'll tell you this though: If more apps start being authored this way vendors better start adding more RAM to these devices.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Two things:
    1) The app above I can't use. It's nice, but it appears to want to upload all the data to one of the companies servers. I can't expose data like that. I have no idea of what controls they have on it. If there was a way to run it locally that would be better. But it did inspire me ... maybe I'll write something myself.

2) Does anyone have any idea on how to get the caps lock to turn off on my 8125 and have it *stay* off before I totally lose my mind?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Is that last problem common, cap lock sticking?

It's the second time it's happened to me.
    Knowing my luck I'm the only one on the planet with this problem.
    There's no indicator that it's on either, so I don't NOTICE IT UNTIL MY LETTERS ALL APPEAR IN CAPS.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast