Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Afraid so. Since I've gotten the activesync to work, I can firmly say that I love this thing. I miss some of the elegant simplicity the Treo form factor offers, but the other features this device has more than makes up for it.

Sorry Palm - you had me but you lost me due to reliability issues and lack of reasonable development (primarily memory and features such as WiFi). Make a worthwhile product that is reliable AND offers front edge technology instead of lagging two years behind and I may someday return to the fold...

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    I will soon have 5(don't ask, LOL!) WM5 devices if they don't announce a Palm OS Treo with some significant updates SOON. They are almost losing me entirely too.

CP, is that Vito's Magic Button? I saw that somewhere but lost the link.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I will soon have 5(don't ask, LOL!) WM5 devices if they don't announce a Palm OS Treo with some significant updates SOON. They are almost losing me entirely too.

CP, is that Vito's Magic Button? I saw that somewhere but lost the link.
    i DL from here:
    http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    How do I connect via wifi? Everytime I use IE, it goes through the phone instead of wifi.. If I select the com manager and turn on wifi (and I have a good strong signal), it still goes through the phone..

?

-Matthew
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPiper
    How do I connect via wifi? Everytime I use IE, it goes through the phone instead of wifi.. If I select the com manager and turn on wifi (and I have a good strong signal), it still goes through the phone..

?

-Matthew
    Pg. 2, post #20, by FoxBat121:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6&page=2&pp=15
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    as of now I'm 100% happy with the 8125. wm5 was not hard to adapt to at all. activesync works so much better than hotsync and outlook work so much better than versamail. those were my 2 biggest complaints with the 650 I love so dearly. I thought I'd miss threaded sms...but I'm adapting well. I've already loaded my device up with some great software. weatherpanel, magic button, verichat...I'm satisfied completely so far.
    It's growing on me too.

I still like the following things better about the Treo:
    - I prefer Hotsync to Activesync ... less buggy (but not bug free).
    - I like some things better about VersaMail, but I like some things about Mobile Outlook too (so it's a wash)
    - I still like the phone operation MUCH better on the Treo 650 (although sound quality is better with the 8125)
    - I can type MUCH faster on the Treo 650 keyboard. I expect this to change as I get more used to the 8125.
    - I still have no need for Wi-Fi .... but it doesn't hurt to have it onboard.
    - Bluetooth works better on the Treo 650.

Overall I'm now officially happy with my 8125. Not blissfully happy yet, but at least I'm much happier than I was. This is the way the world is going (WM5)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    BT works better on the 650? That's good to know. I've seen too many posts where only like about 5 headsets pair properly.

I'm a bit surprised to hear call quality is better on the 8125. From what others have said, the MDA is bad. Maybe it's carriers and not the phone itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    BT works better on the 650? That's good to know. I've seen too many posts where only like about 5 headsets pair properly.

I'm a bit surprised to hear call quality is better on the 8125. From what others have said, the MDA is bad. Maybe it's carriers and not the phone itself?
    Let me clarify: The headphones work fine on both phones. I've never tried to pair more than 5 headphones at once (actually I've only tried one, so I don't know if that's a limitation or not).

I had a harder time getting the 8125 to pair with an Acura MDX. (I had to have the phone search for the car because it didn't just pick up that the car was searching for it.) <-- This was flawless on the T650.

I cannot pair the 8125 with my Mac Powerbook at all in any way shape or form. I *can* get it to work with File Transfer, but I can't get the mac to discover it, enumerate it's services or anything. It sees the phone, but that's about it. No problems with the T650 in this area. NOTE: I'm not talking about synching here, I know the 8125 won't sync with a mac, but I should be able to pair it. The Sony-Ericcson phones are the best in this regard.

Call quality: I have to admit it's loud and clear.
    I *have* had numerous problems where I have called someone and they couldn't hear me at all. (They just keep going "hello".) If I hang up and call back (sometimes twice) then it's fine. More of an annoyance then anything.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I should have been clearer, I meant that people keep saying that only about 5 or so brands of headsets seem to pair well with the 650. With no static, volume problems, and such. Not 5 a time.

That last problem you mentioned however could be a deal breaker for me. I can't call people 3 times to get us both to hear each other. Both they and I will get annoyed.

I played around with the 8125 a little today. I really like it, and was impressed with how small it was even though it was so stacked with features. It's the first non-Treo smartphone that got me thinking of making a switch.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    One more annoyance I should have mentioned: When I am using the phone the screen shuts off. There are times that I can't use it as a PDA while I'm on the phone, so forget about trying to look up information related to your conversation.

As for Bluetooth headphones, I've always used a Logitech with my phones. Wonderful headphone. I love it. (So I can't speak for the other brands.)

Again: Nice device ... far far from perfect.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    BTW: If anyone knows a way around these issues, please let me know.

EDIT: NEVER MIND ... I figured out how to regain PDA functionality. I simply hit the power button. The PDA turns back on during the phone call.

I must remember: It WON'T turn the device off while I'm talking. (Must have change in behavior here.) <smile>
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I agree. Looking at the Verizon 6700 and waiting on Cingular's version made me want to make the switch. It's really very similar in size and weight to the Tro 650, and this thing walks all over the Treo in every way EXCEPT ergonomics - and by that I really mean one handed use. Having the 8125 for a week now, and getting the activesync issue resolved, I'm really happy with the device.

For those thinking of making the switch primarily for memory issues, I'd like to make one comment (conjecture at this point) - you still have to manage memory on this device. It's just MUCH easier to do so. I added the very highly touted app "magic button" and had a pretty substantial slowdown as a result. I went for around 20mb program free to a little less than 16 and it made an appreciable difference in performance opening software and running multiple apps. I'm about to install and try the OMAP overclocking software from xda-developers and see how that works. With the stock software setup, it runs great.

I would also like to make one other observation comparing this device directly with the 650. If you have fringe service, I believe the 8125 gets slightly worse reception than the 650. At one site where I regularly had service with my 650 (one and occasionally two bars), I get none or inconsistent (one bar at most) reception with the 8125. Fortunately this site is not that important from a business standpoint, and it's not my house, so I'm ok with it. It's just inconvenient when I'm there. Cingular is my sole (home) telephone service provider, so as long as it works at my house, I'm fine with it!

Next purchase is a good suction cup car mount I can use in the mini (avatar). I made one that is functional, but tenuous at best. My phones get thrown all over that car when I drive it (it handles MUCH better that it looks like it could thanks to a few suspension modifications people on cycles frequently ask me what in the world I've done to it because they can't get away from me ), so I need it firmly planted when going on mountain drives. Oops, sorry I went on that little tangent...

Oh, and by the way - Lady Treo, your avatar has gone from intriguing to down right hottie territory! Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    Do any of you miss the threaded SMS? This was an awsome feature on the treo 600/650 and i'm surprized it has not caught on with other phones.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I'll have to try and run without Magic Button for a few days ... and see if that eliminates my ongoing need to reboot once every one or two days due to slow-downs. (Good catch!)

Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Oh, and by the way - Lady Treo, your avatar has gone from intriguing to down right hottie territory! Sorry, I couldn't resist!
    .. what do you mean? The rest of us weren't thinking that at all.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Do any of you miss the threaded SMS? This was an awsome feature on the treo 600/650 and i'm surprized it has not caught on with other phones.

Timmay
    Yes. I miss it.

In fact, the first developer that comes out with threaded SMS on the Windows Mobile platform gets my money.

(I'm already digging in the APIs .. if I can find a way to do it I will.)

I'm almost done writing an app to dump the call log to a file that you can download to your PC.
    ... the call log is dumped. I just need a little more time to finish it.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I played around with the 8125 a little today. I really like it, and was impressed with how small it was even though it was so stacked with features. It's the first non-Treo smartphone that got me thinking of making a switch.
    You know you want it. Go for it. You ought to get 6 good months, maybe a year, before the 700p ships so you can compare.

Seriously, its going to take some real upgrading of the Treo 7xx to lure this old fogy back to Palm.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk

Timmay
    i missed it at first, but now im VERY familiar with the SMS on the 8125..so i no longer miss it

and people keep saying Activesync is buggy? i havent had a single problem with it yet. installed the one on the disk(4.1) and have yet to experience a hicup.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    i put magic button on first thing so i never had a problem with programs slowing the device down. i also put smartskey on too, great tool.

i have free copies of Resco and Weatherpanel if anyone wants. PM me
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast