Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    the MDA is touted as being slow on every review I have read, if its the same as the 8125, which is the same is the K-jam, then I'm disappointed, is there any fast/reliable phones out there? No one mentions the K-jam being slow, it gets great reviews but everything I read leads back to MDA/8125/K-jam same phone different look
    PIE is fast.

otherwise people who say the k-jam is fast have never used a PalmOS device.

Windows CE has multi-tasking.
    Palm has speed.

pick your poison.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    driven01:

I'm sorry, but I can't stay out of this any longer. You may have a slower than usual unit, or you feed your Treo with NO2, but I had both the 600 and 650, and they were only marginally faster than my 8125.

I've been a Palm user since 1997, and had nearly every model line they (and Sony) released. The 8125 is as solid a device, speed and operation wise, as any of the Palms. As a converged device it is much more stable, and RF capabilities are much better. Not a single random reset, nor a "what did you say" on either end of the conversation in 3 weeks.

It is not as adept at one-handed use, but that is over-sold when trying to dial or run programs in your car at 60 mph. Besides, add Voice Command and you can call any contact, voice dial, and open/operate nearly any program.

I've run 6-8 programs at one time with very little slowdown. It's a pleasure to take a call and go right back to where you were in PIE or an Office document. No doubt that PIE is better and faster than Blazer. And if you shut off the proxy server in your Media Net account, it will switch seamlessly between EDGE and WiFi as you start and stop the Wifi radio.

To each his own, but the 8125 is not the dog you keep portraying in countless postings.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    From other posts, I think he's a serious Palm OS fan. He said his company is making him use WM5. I like Palm OS too, I understand. I'm just sick of Palm the company.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am not portraying it as a dog. in fact, I like the hardware and of course it is MUCH more stable. WM5 has some serious shortcomings though and to say otherwise is to ignore the obvious.

the difference is that Microsoft can and will improve WM5. will Palm ever improve PalmOS? We both know the answer, so yes I am sticking with the 8125 and am happy about it.

My feelings echo those of Lady Treo.

sorry if I upset you to the point you had to keep your opinions bottled up inside.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I am not portraying it as a dog. in fact, I like the hardware and of course it is MUCH more stable. WM5 has some serious shortcomings though and to say otherwise is to ignore the obvious.

the difference is that Microsoft can and will improve WM5. will Palm ever improve PalmOS? We both know the answer, so yes I am sticking with the 8125 and am happy about it.

My feelings echo those of Lady Treo.

sorry if I upset you to the point you had to keep your opinions bottled up inside.
    I owe the apology driven01. Got a little cranky late last night, and I just think the 8125 is a good compromise of battery life, speed and features.

Like you, I'm sad to see the sunset of a formerly great company that was a true thorn in M$oft's side. Palm will not be significantly improving the Treo line from here on in. In fact, all of the Treo "buzz" centers on the Hollywood model, which, while slimmer and "sexier" doesn't offer anything over the Samsung i320 and Moto Q which are already out there (at least pictures and pre-reviews - all we get from Palm is third party Photoshop concept pictures).
    dstrauss, no apology neccessary. I agree it's a good compromise of all the things you mentioned, and it's the best way to go at the moment. (In spite of the little things that annoy me about it.)

Palm is the one who's late to the game now. Unless they blow our socks off with somethng (doubtful) then I think we are watching the down-slope of the company.

I still don't understand their recent stock performance though. Am I missing something?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    driven01:

I'm sorry, but I can't stay out of this any longer. You may have a slower than usual unit, or you feed your Treo with NO2, but I had both the 600 and 650, and they were only marginally faster than my 8125.

I've been a Palm user since 1997, and had nearly every model line they (and Sony) released. The 8125 is as solid a device, speed and operation wise, as any of the Palms. As a converged device it is much more stable, and RF capabilities are much better. Not a single random reset, nor a "what did you say" on either end of the conversation in 3 weeks.

It is not as adept at one-handed use, but that is over-sold when trying to dial or run programs in your car at 60 mph. Besides, add Voice Command and you can call any contact, voice dial, and open/operate nearly any program.

I've run 6-8 programs at one time with very little slowdown. It's a pleasure to take a call and go right back to where you were in PIE or an Office document. No doubt that PIE is better and faster than Blazer. And if you shut off the proxy server in your Media Net account, it will switch seamlessly between EDGE and WiFi as you start and stop the Wifi radio.

To each his own, but the 8125 is not the dog you keep portraying in countless postings.
    I'd confirm all of this for the MDA as well. These overnight or weekend reviewers should be dismissed. I haven't used Voice Command, but the built-in voice tag (Voice Speed Dial) program is already satisfactory, although it is only for dialing. I taught it a dozen names in a minute or two the first day and now I just thumb a side-button from any application, hear a beep, say a name and it dials -all in 3 seconds. It echoes the name back to you, so you don't even have to look at the screen to confirm. Haven't had one miss in a week. (You can also set up a touch-screen speed dial system using your contact list.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I'd confirm all of this for the MDA as well. These overnight or weekend reviewers should be dismissed. I haven't used Voice Command, but the built-in voice tag (Voice Speed Dial) program is already satisfactory, although it is only for dialing. I taught it a dozen names in a minute or two the first day and now I just thumb a side-button from any application, hear a beep, say a name and it dials -all in 3 seconds. It echoes the name back to you, so you don't even have to look at the screen to confirm. Haven't had one miss in a week. (You can also set up a touch-screen speed dial system using your contact list.)
    Voice Command is cool. You can also use it to start applications (I have one set up to bring up the tasklist)

Question: HOW can I get this thing to dial a number that's NOT in my contacts list. For example: I like to use a calling card for international calls. The number tends to look like this:

1-800-555-1212,,,PINCODE,,,,<phone number>

I obviously don't want to add that long string to a contacts entry. On Palm OS this was easy ... I set up a separate entry in the "quick dial" screen. How do I do this on Windows Mobile 5?

(Other than dialing long hand each time ... )
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I'm pretty sure you can record voice tags to open programs as well - you might to a search around here, but I thought I could at least open Calendar or Tasks, etc. even before buying into voice command.
    You're right. I just set up three of them.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    well, still no activesync. I REALLY like this thing, but this is a pretty significant issue. I'm going to attempt to install the software on another computer this weekend because I can't decide whether the problem is with the computer or the device. I've gotten activesync to get as far as "connecting" but after a few minutes the laptop just locks up. Without activesync, I can't load new software, mp3s, video,or anything else. Some of the activesync options on the 8125 aren't active, so that could be the problem. Microsoft recognizes this as a "known issue" so I guess those of us with the "issue" are at their mercy...

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    You can always use a mini sd card reader for loading software. For loading large files such as mp3s and videos card reader is a must as Activesync is very slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    well, still no activesync. I REALLY like this thing, but this is a pretty significant issue. I'm going to attempt to install the software on another computer this weekend because I can't decide whether the problem is with the computer or the device. I've gotten activesync to get as far as "connecting" but after a few minutes the laptop just locks up. Without activesync, I can't load new software, mp3s, video,or anything else. Some of the activesync options on the 8125 aren't active, so that could be the problem. Microsoft recognizes this as a "known issue" so I guess those of us with the "issue" are at their mercy...

vinman - are using the Activesync on the included disk, or version 4.1 from the M$oft website? I went straight to the 4.1 version before hooking up my 8125, and it worked flawlessly. It let me chose to wirelessly sync with my MS Server 2003 for email, calendar & tasks, and I set it to physically (USB) sync everything else. So far, no errors in almost 3 weeks (knocking on my wooden noggin).
    Also try disabling your firewall to get it to sync. Yes, I know what you're going to say. I didn't believe it either, but I have to use this method on my laptop. It works.

I can't understand how such software makes it out the doorr.
    Disable your firewall. I'm running Sygate Personal, and have configured exactly to the suggestions, but cannot sync without disabling it.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    All my virus/adware/firewall stuff gets disabled before I install any new software. I didn't get a chance to try an install on a different pc today, but that's first on my list tomorrow.

As far as version 4.1, the microsoft site explains that the activesync verion shown on the install is 4.0, but the actual version is 4.1. That being said, I had already planned to install next time from the site. That's a really good suggestion, though. I'll report tomorrow after the next attempt...

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    I've had my 8125 for 24hrs now and I'm convinced its wm5 for now for me. palm just can't compare. I love this thing, I'm post using it now and the keyboard is great. haven't had any problems with activesync and I'm loving the stability of outlook. verichat is also great, just like the palm version so I adapted well.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Palm lost another one, huh?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    as of now I'm 100% happy with the 8125. wm5 was not hard to adapt to at all. activesync works so much better than hotsync and outlook work so much better than versamail. those were my 2 biggest complaints with the 650 I love so dearly. I thought I'd miss threaded sms...but I'm adapting well. I've already loaded my device up with some great software. weatherpanel, magic button, verichat...I'm satisfied completely so far.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast