Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Had my Treo 650 stolen in Vegas last week, so I'm unfortunately in the market for a new gadget. For the same price, I can get either another 650 or the 8125. Since I'm a degerant for gadgets, I was leaning towards the 8125 since it is different. I've seen a couple of pics comparing the size, but was hoping to hear from anyone making the jump on their opinions primarily on size difference (both size and weight) as well as functional use (I've heard the complaints on the one-hand usage of the 8125).

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by ryanc2; 02/25/2006 at 06:42 PM.
    I'll save you some time...

There's a wealth of info here and elsewhere comparing the Treo 650 to the PPC-6700 (the 8125's cousin) as well as the 8125 itself. Do a search here or Google it and you'll find people who moved from a 650 to one of these devices and loved it as well as people who didn't (I'm one of them).

The best advice I could give you is to go ahead and get the 8125 (if GSM is important to you, otherwise I'd recommend the PPC-6700 due to Ev-DO) and try it out for however long a trial period they give you. What's important and what's unimportant to one person is the opposite for someone else, so without trying it out for yourself, you'll just be wasting yours and everyone else's time by asking people to talk you in or out of one of these devices.

Now if you have *specific* questions, I (and others) can certainly answer those.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I believe dStrauss went from the 650 to the 6700, as well as TEM. Might give them a PM on what their thoughts are thus far.

Do you know how to scan a person's posts? Click on their name, click on public profile, click on view all posts. You might find their prior posts in this regard.

Cheers, Perry.
    i have to be on Windows Mobile and GSM for business reasons. left to my own choices I'd be on a 650.

There are some things I like about the 8125, and quite a few things that I don't like. The 8125 is a nice device, but the Treo 650 is superior IMHO. Whatever PalmOS based device that Palm releases next should be kickbutt.

I'll be posting a blog entry in a day or two about the 8125 from the perspective of a 650 user. I'll post the link here. Hopefully it will help.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Thanks for the intro Perry, and your right, do a quick search for more details.

Scott R is absolutely right - this is a purely personal experience. Mine has been just the opposite of Scott's and and driveno1 - I've had Palm PDA's since the original USR PalmPilot, and worked my way through a Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Audiovox 5600, Cingular 2125, and now the 8125. Every one is full of compromises, but for me, the 8125 is the best converged device I've ever used.

Will it be the last device I ever own - NO WAY. If Hollywood is really thin, light, and has all the features of my 8125 would I go back; there's a good chance. Would I consider a Symbian if it was the size of the Samsung i500 with all the modern features of the 8125 - you bet.

Size wise, I feel the 8125 "feels" a little smaller than my Treo 650 (it is a little thicker though), and the feature set is much more rich than the Treo. However, the one-handed operation is not as good. A good bluetooth headset and either Voice Command (a $39 addition) or training of voice tags, is a necessity. The 8125 keyboard is better to me than the Treo. I wouldn't go back to the Treo, but that's me.

BUT TAKE SCOTT'S ADVICE - use the trial period to test it out for yourself. Only you can decide if it's the right move. Remember, there are two theories about third party opinions:

1. They are only as good as what you pay for one; and

2. Opinions are like ***holes; everybody has one, and some are bigger than others. (some would say this is my particular category).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I started with a Vx and eventually a GSM Treo 650. I can honestly say that after owning the 8125 I am a WM5 convert. The OS works seamlessly with my companies exchange server. I have one single gripe wiht the 8125 and that is the 650 whips it on one handed usage. I may be sending the 8125 back to Cingular but I can guarantee you my POS days are numbered. I would not buy another Treo with the POS. For me I am going WM5 and will probably wait until 4Q06 ( according to our Cingular rep ) to get the GSM WM5 version of the Treo.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Size wise, I feel the 8125 "feels" a little smaller than my Treo 650 (it is a little thicker though), and the feature set is much more rich than the Treo. However, the one-handed operation is not as good. A good bluetooth headset and either Voice Command (a $39 addition) or training of voice tags, is a necessity. The 8125 keyboard is better to me than the Treo. I wouldn't go back to the Treo, but that's me.
    Thanks for comments, they are helpful. This certainly won't be my last purchase of this type, and I will most definately use the full 30 days of my trial to compare back to the 650. However, having to go sight unseen (since it is not in any store near me), the comparitive size is mainly what I'm looking for - which isn't a personal experience. The specs show it is smaller and even lighter (albeit a little thicker), but most everyone says it feels heavy. Does it fit easy in your pocket? Does it feel like it is going to shoot our of your hand without a case, or egrips? How is the dialing on the screen - clumsy or natural? Most pics I have seen haven't shown one screen shot of the phone app, and most debates seem to be by 16 year olds comparing it as a media device to a PSP.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Go to a Verizon store and check out a live version of the 6700 - it's basically the same device + an antennae. That's what I did. It looks like this thing isn't going to make it into Cingular stores (widespread) for a while, yet - so that's the route I took.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    Thanks for comments, they are helpful. This certainly won't be my last purchase of this type, and I will most definately use the full 30 days of my trial to compare back to the 650. However, having to go sight unseen (since it is not in any store near me), the comparitive size is mainly what I'm looking for - which isn't a personal experience. The specs show it is smaller and even lighter (albeit a little thicker), but most everyone says it feels heavy. Does it fit easy in your pocket? Does it feel like it is going to shoot our of your hand without a case, or egrips? How is the dialing on the screen - clumsy or natural? Most pics I have seen haven't shown one screen shot of the phone app, and most debates seem to be by 16 year olds comparing it as a media device to a PSP.

Thanks again.
    Try Fry's (or it's equivelent) they have them even though my local Cingular stores don't. The screen's wonderful, screen dialing is equivelent to Takephone (good), only drawback is one handed operation is far better with the Treo, best advice I've seen is to take the time to customise WM5 before making your decision.
    I'll be ordering mine on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2

Thanks again.
    It is smaller and lighter - even more so than I thought it would be. It just doesn't look as big and clunky as the Treo 650 - part of that is because the keyboard is hidden, which gives the Treo a larger look and feel

Fits easy in the pants pocket (it's solo, however, to protect screen)

Don't feel the need for eGrips like I did with Treo 650

Dialing on screen is clumsy, but I never found Treo's small keys easy either; the on screen keys are big enough, its just without tactile feedback, it's not an easy experience using them.

KEEP FORGETTING ONE MORE RAVE:

Mini-USB connector; solid connection every time; doesn't feel like you're going to break one of those dinky clips or exposed wires like all the other phones and PDA's out there -

RANT ON - I HATE THE PALM UNIVERSAL CONNECTOR - RANT OFF

What moron ever thought a connector that required you to "Tilt forward first before lifting out of the cradle to avoid damaging the pins." was a good idea. I've argued for years to go with a solid connector (like mini-USB) and hooray for HTC making it common across its PDA phones and smartphones.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 02/26/2006 at 01:04 PM.
    The 8125 is a pretty hot device. I have had one on order since October patiently waiting for the release (since it kept getting pushed back). Finally its here however none of the corp stores in So Cal have them. I had the opportunity to buy it at Frys but I would be spending $200 more than if I waited and got it at my friends store with his discount (yes, I am buying it outright but I am getting the corp discount since I am a rep also). I love my treo and I am getting this device until a WM5 version of the treo comes out for either Cingular or a GSM unlocked version. My treo has been acting up on me lately on the cing blue towers and I am hoping switching to this device will ease up the problem. I guess until I get my 8125, I will be using either one of my Motorola V3s (i have two), my Nokia N90 or my Sony Ericsson P900.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    This phone is essentially a K-Jam correct? It comes highly rated, and since I don't have Cingular I was thinking about getting the K-Jam to use with T-mobile, I like the 650 but its quirky, from cold weather reboots, to other random oddities, and I'm sure each phone will have its pro's and con's but I haven't read alot of negatives to the K-Jam.
    Well t-mobile has the MDA which is bascially the K-jam, just called something different and the MDA has all of the T-mobile settings already in it. It looks pretty cool and I played with one yesterday. However, if you arfe already with t-mobile, they are only doing new service acts with the MDA right now since it was just released last week. You might have to wait a bit to get the MDA if you plan on getting an upgrade through t-mo. Or you could just spend the extra money and get the Kjam. Both are excellent phones.

Well I just got my 8125 this past monday night and all I can say is WOW! Not to bash on the treo because I still love mine, but this thing blows it out of the water. Much faster than my treo and there are numerous apps available for it.

Sharp screen, much better than treo 650 screen
    Wifi, self explanatory
    Mp cam
    bigger keyboard
    mini usb charger/connector
    bigger screen
    WM5, I like it but I am not trying to flame. I have used Palm OS for many years. This is a nice change

Dislikes
    Two handed operation
    Broswer can be slow if you have multiple apps open
    No chat log style like the treo
    Battery life, one day at best if you are a power user like me
    A bit thick
    Screen/keyboard lock is in a crappy location. At the top of the device

This is my first Windows handheld device and so far after two days of owning/using it, I think that this is my favorite PDA phone that I have ever owned.

I just posted a blog entry on my conversion from the T650 to the 8125. It's rough as I haven't had a chance to edit it yet. I did not cover the camera but mostly the usability and PDA functions.

The comment feature is turned on. Use at will. Enjoy!

http://www.zsoldos.org/blog/2006/03/...-htc-8125.html
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have had this device for a week now, and while I used to think the Treo was the best PDA I ever owned, I now think that the 8125 is. The Treo was awesome and do miss some of its features, however, I love how the 8125 never crashes!!! Not one single one. My treo crashed at least once a day.

Want to use your bluetooth gps and car kit at the same time. No problem. Couldn't do that with the treo. I hate to say it but WM5 is light year ahead of POS.

As for size, I think that the 8125 is smaller. It feels smaller in my hands at least. I don't put it in my front pocket the way I did the treo though. The sliding keyboard is my reason. To me that is the week point of the device.

-John
    I agree with John. The 8125 is the best converged device yet. Got mine on 2/14, and not a SINGLE crash since then - NOR - a single conversation where I or the other party asked "what did you say?"

I'm getting used to the lack of ease of one handed use thanks to MS Voice Command.

DO NOT TRY THE DEMO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET HOOKED.

Even in noisy traffic, I can dial any entry in my Contacts with "Call ______ at [home, work, mobile]", and after a quick registry edit, it works flawlessly with my Cardo Scala 500 bluetooth headset. Programs start even better by voice command as well. To look at a contact record all you have to do is say "Show_____" or to open Word just say "Run Word." In fact, I'm not too sure its not worse for drive time email reading.
    I too believe that this is more stable than my treo. It was kinda funny/frustrating on monday night. It was raining pretty hard in so cal and it was about 8:30pm and I was (stupidly) doing about 80 on the 57 freeway and I went to grab my treo to make a phone call and it was not responding. The status light was flashing green and everything seemed okay but I could not get the screen to wake up. So while driving down the freeway I had to grab my treo off the passengers seat, take off the case, take off the battery cover, pull out battery, put back in battery, put back on the battery cover, and put the case on before I could make my call. NO MORE! Luckly that trip I was actually picking up my 8125 from my friends store. It was sitting on the bac seat.

do any of you have to reboot your 8125 daily?

If I don't it gets very unresponsive and the battery life goes way down. cycling the power seems to fix it.

each time I only had 2 - 3 apps running (thanks to magic button)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Having used the Treo 650 for a year and then purchased and tried the ppc 6700(identical to the 8125 and Verizon's XV6700), I would be happy to say that, hands down, the 650 is by far the superior device. Even when you take into account the 6700's ability (and the 650's inability) to use high speed data (EVDO), the Treo is a far more functional device. While the 6700 has this great, roomy keyboard, the fact that it hides away is more an inconvenience when the novelty wears off. Windows Mobile 5, in this iteration cannot seem to compare to the Palm OS (whatever version is running on the 650). The OS seriously detracts from any benefit you get (novelty or otherwise) from the hardware. The OS is slow and gets slower the busier you get with the device. As you open programs and then switch to other programs, they all stay open and running, competing for resources. If you don't stop and use a utility to shut down those programs your device will slow down and eventually hang forcing you to reset the device. The versions of word and excel are not measurably better than Dataviz's versions in Documents To Go. As a PIM, mobile 5's outlook is no better than the native palm PIM and really, in my opinion, seriously inferior to a good Palm email client like SnapperMail.

After a month of trying the PPC 6700 I put it on Ebay and went back to my Treo 650.

I cannot honestly that in the year I used my Treo I experienced fewer problems than I did in the month I used the PPC6700/windows mobile 5 device(virtually same device as 8152/XV6700).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast