Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Nice. Damn that thing is stacked. FM radio even. Wow. I don't really care for the design though...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  2. #22  
    The flip is dettachable.



    And then dimensions/weight are reduced from 114x57x25 (155g) to 114x57x22 mm (145g) vs Treo 650 (113x59x23 mm, 178 g).

    And as already stated the features are far beyond Treo650:

    - UTMS + GPRS + 3 band gprs
    - WIFI (Skype will support this model).
    - Bluetooth 2.0 Including support for stereo headsets.
    - 80 Mb RAM.
    - FM Radio.
    - 2 Mpix autofocus camera.
    - Symbian 9.1 + UIQ 3.0.
    - Support for several push mail providers

    Minor cons:
    - Keyboard / 5 way of treo seems better than this Keyboard/ 3D rocker.
    - Non standar output connection.
    - Sony propietary memory card.

    In summary, a clear winner vs. T650 ( hollywood?).

    By the way, I had a T600->T650 for years and changed to Qtek 9100 only because wifi + skype + browsing, pretty happy with the change so far, will go back to palm if they raise the bar again.... or straight to this beauty.
    Last edited by margnoz; 02/28/2006 at 07:50 AM.
  3. #23  
    an amazing 9hours! in GSM/GPRS!!!! this is another nice feature. (sony ericsson phones always have been pretty good battery-wise)
  4. #24  
    Has Symbian's library of apps increased to be competitive with WM and POS?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Has Symbian's library of apps increased to be competitive with WM and POS?
    Way much better than it used to be few years ago.

    Also this phone has a USB connection.
  6. #26  
    Though I don't like it, it is a real killer...

    If they do a decent job of marketing (and they *have* done it,
    having created all the hype the past few months) and delivery,
    it will kill off a lot of phones, notably the current breed of Nokia
    Communicators. I hope.

    In my view, the *only* downside is the sick Symbian OS. Should
    have been Linux. Sony did have a few cutting edge phones in the
    past... T68i comes to mind, was way ahead of its time, and
    successful too.

    - mvk
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Shame it uses Sony's proprietary memory sticks rather than normal SD cards
    Despite all the books written about the BetaMax<->VHS, MiniDisc<->? etc.
    Sony probably feels that it can dominate the world with proprietary technology.

    - mvk
  8.    #28  
    Available for sale from this website.
    http://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=5234

    Expensive................
    I am not sure how reliable is this site.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  9. #29  
    If they ever make this thing available in the US, I'll wait for the day I can walk into a TMobile or Cingular store or surf their site and get one.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  10. #30  
    Is this phone compatible with Cingular's network? On phonescoop it says the company uses "both the cellular (800 / 850 MHz) and PCS (1900 MHz) bands." The phone's specs says it uses "E-GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900 and UMTS 2100." Since only the 1900 MHz is compatible with Cingular will this phone get good reception if it does in fact work??
  11. #31  
    I'm trying to come up to speed on the whole GSM thing so don't take my word for gospel, but for now it appears you may have better luck with this puppy on T-Mobile's network. On the other hand, I hear T-Mobile's UMTS rollout is not expected to be in full swing until late 2007 early 2008. Cingular's UMTS rollout is already underway and expect to be in full swing by end of this year-early 2007. With all that said, I think SE will still need to produce a version of the SE P990 for North America which incorporates the 850 band like they have for their current 910a model.

    Someone or anyone for that matter who has a better handle on this, feel free to chime in.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  12. #32  
    Any word when this device will become available (if ever) in the US?
  13. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #33  
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    Any word when this device will become available (if ever) in the US?
    Below is Sony-Ericsson's response to my email when I asked them that very question a couple of weeks ago:

    -- SE's response begin
    "In regards to your email stating that you would like to know what our plans are for releasing a P990 in North America; unfortunately there are no plans at this time to release the phone in the North American market. The main reason is that the P990 is a UMTS phone with multiple features that will simply not work here in North America as we still do not have a fully operational UMTS network. It is possible that we will be releasing the phone in the future, but not guaranteed."
    -- SE's response end

    So with that said, I suspect they will as soon as Cingular and TMobile get their UMTS rollout in full swing. Look at my earlier posts as to when they are projected to do that.

    For what it's worth the P990 should be shipping overseas in the late June/early July 2006 timeframe, so you could hopefully find an unlocked version on eBay and try to use it here in the US... your mileage may vary on what type of coverage you get if any depending on which carrier you use, where you live, etc. I'm sure a lot of desperate folks out there will try this. Personally, for now I'm going to try and wait for an official North America version.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  15. #35  
    engadget.com states the keyboard is not that good. i have had se pdas in the past, they are not as good as palm based pdas. After playing with windows based pdas, the palm os is not that good either.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    I'm trying to come up to speed on the whole GSM thing so don't take my word for gospel, but for now it appears you may have better luck with this puppy on T-Mobile's network. On the other hand, I hear T-Mobile's UMTS rollout is not expected to be in full swing until late 2007 early 2008. Cingular's UMTS rollout is already underway and expect to be in full swing by end of this year-early 2007. With all that said, I think SE will still need to produce a version of the SE P990 for North America which incorporates the 850 band like they have for their current 910a model.

    Someone or anyone for that matter who has a better handle on this, feel free to chime in.

    You're correct. You'll have gaps from the missing 850 MHz band. I think you'll still get decent reception though - I believe the 1900 MHz band is used more.

    In reference to UMTS - The P990 uses UMTS2100. I don't believe the US UMTS uses that band. Someone correct me on this. I can't think of the band the U.S. uses.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    You're correct. You'll have gaps from the missing 850 MHz band. I think you'll still get decent reception though - I believe the 1900 MHz band is used more.

    In reference to UMTS - The P990 uses UMTS2100. I don't believe the US UMTS uses that band. Someone correct me on this. I can't think of the band the U.S. uses.
    Cingular uses UMTS1900.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  18. #38  
    ahh yes...that's what it uses!
  19. #39  
    This is an awesome phone and i absolutely love it, but in my opinion, it's a little way too overpriced.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    engadget.com states the keyboard is not that good. i have had se pdas in the past, they are not as good as palm based pdas. After playing with windows based pdas, the palm os is not that good either.
    To each their own, but I'm not sure if toying with its keyboard for 5 minutes qualifies as a real review .
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions