Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering a jump from POS to WM (aging Treo600 > Treo700W). I just saw the pics and some specs of a new Samsung i320. I was awfully tempted by the thin Moto Q, but really didn't like the design. Then I saw this stunner! Does anyone know deets about when it would be available (unlocked, from wherever)????

Samsung i320
    Another product that was inspired by Motorola is i320. This is Windows Mobile smartphone that works on the new 5.0 version. There’s QWERTY keyboard, QVGA screen that is capable of displaying 65 K colors. Internal memory size is 120 Mb, there’s miniSD card slot. Stereo speakers, Bluetooth, extended voice control. Phone’s size is 111x59x11.5 mm, the weight is 95 grams.

Last edited by tDot; 02/23/2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: picture link didn't show up
  2.    #2  
    Just found this on Gizmodo

Samsung i320 Smartphone
    READ MORE: 3GSM, Cellphones, Samsung, Smartphone, i320

samsung_i320_handset.jpg

Here’s another Samsung cellphone just announced at 3GSM in Barcelona. The i320 is pretty straight forward, running on Microsoft’s Windows Mobile 5.0 with 120MB of onboard memory (with a microSD slot just in case you need to add more storage). It’s uses tri-band GSM, supports Bluetooth and is capable of GPRS/EDGE where available.

Other features include a media player that supports MPEG4 / H.263 / H.264 / WMV video formats and MP3 / AAC / AAC+ / WMA / WAV / OGG audio formats and, strangely enough with all these big specs, only a 1.3 megapixel camera. Also dig the QWERTY keyboard and the light weight of just 3.4 ounces. Look for this around the second quarter of 2006.
    I like the way you can press two adjacent buttons for the numbers.

This phone looks great!

- mvk
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    keys look really small in the picture, hard to tell though without seeing one, or at least a side by side with a known device.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by tDot
    Here’s another Samsung cellphone just announced at 3GSM in Barcelona. The i320 is pretty straight forward, running on Microsoft’s Windows Mobile 5.0 with 120MB of onboard memory (with a microSD slot just in case you need to add more storage). It’s uses tri-band GSM, supports Bluetooth and is capable of GPRS/EDGE where available.
    Odd that they annonced this in barcelona without any inclusion of a true 3G radio. Again, understanding that EDGE is technically 3G but most of what came outta the 3GSM congress was UTMS /HDSPA oriented.

Love the form factor, could do without the miniSD. If they just install the little chippie shown here:

and give us 3.6 HDSPA, it would be Samsung's version of what many think will be the Hollywood.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I like the way you can press two adjacent buttons for the numbers.

This phone looks great!

- mvk
    That's super cool (adjacent buttons) particualrly if they work that way when typing - no more "Shift" key for numbers!

Check out this site for a side by side comaprison with Treo:

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2907#article
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    like it so far!
    Inability to edit basic MS Office documents in WM5.0 Smartphones makes this (otherwise sweet) phone a non-starter for me.
    kupe . . you can barely edit documents on the PocketPC version of WM5. I didn't realize how far ahead Documents To Go was until I used Pocket Excel!
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Check out this site for a side by side comaprison with Treo:

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2907#article
    Thanks for the link. I think the form factor has promise.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    kupe . . you can barely edit documents on the PocketPC version of WM5. I didn't realize how far ahead Documents To Go was until I used Pocket Excel!
    (I don't really intend to hijack but...) what is the issue with pocket excel? I agree that you don't have all the options of MS Excel on a desktop but then again, I don't have any sync issues that I had with DTG.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

There are even better alternatives to Documents to Go (check out Textmaker and Planmaker if you need PRECISE maintenance of formatting). Howevr, they aren't cheap, and I've found that the upgraded versions of Pocket Word & Excel in WM5 are much better than previous versions. Besides, things that are heavily formatted desrve a good notebook computer, rather than the pocket computer HTC has given us.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    DTG is a nice product, but comparing degrees of goodness for spreadsheet editing on a handheld device is like arguing whether or not Kia or Hyundai makes a better luxury car.
    All I can say is wait for the Treo "Hollywood" which is rumored to be a WM05 (not smartphone) based with antenna-less, and thinner form factor...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    All I can say is wait for the Treo "Hollywood" which is rumored to be a WM05 (not smartphone) based with antenna-less, and thinner form factor...
    Options are good. I cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Options are good. I cant wait.
    I don't like the number keys. Seems like it might not be very precise. Like you might end up with three 8's in a row when you just want one. Maybe I'm mistaken, but every key within the grey outline will function as that particular number?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I don't like the number keys. Seems like it might not be very precise. Like you might end up with three 8's in a row when you just want one. Maybe I'm mistaken, but every key within the grey outline will function as that particular number?
    I remember reading somewhere that the outlined keys worked as a single button; so you could type in a phone number by pressing in the center of the group of keys, or even enter numbers while typing by doing the same thing. It might take some time to get used to, but looks like a better solution than the usual embedded keypad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I remember reading somewhere that the outlined keys worked as a single button; so you could type in a phone number by pressing in the center of the group of keys, or even enter numbers while typing by doing the same thing. It might take some time to get used to, but looks like a better solution than the usual embedded keypad.
    Yeah, I realize that they work as a single button, but what if I accidentally apply pressure on the left side of the 'button' first followed by pressure on the right side...might that end up having the same effect as pressing the button twice?

I think that would probably be problematic for me, considering how often I'd use it while walking around and whatnot. Still though, I can't help but to salivate over this baby...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    This looks very very promising. I won't die waiting for the Treo Hollywood. If this comes out, the specs look good, and there has been no announcement about Hollywood, I'd probably be inclined to consider one of these.
    If Hollywood is WM5 and GSM with Cingular I am on board!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast