Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
       #1  
    The qualifier is that you must actually own one to answer
    I've read very few reports of people being unhappy with it, so far. If you don't like it, what are you unhappy with?

  2. #2  
    I own one and I am very happy with it. The only thing I'm unhappy with is learning WM. I've been a long time palm user and it's a big switch. I'm sure when I become proficient with WM I'll be fine. This device is really slick. I don't think you'll hear too many people complaining about it. I certainly don't regret the purchase.
  3. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #3  
    I think this is basically the same as the 6700. I love my PPC-6700. Great device. I miss my Treo 650 a lot, but the features of the new device destroy the Treo. The multi-tasking is amazing.
  4. #4  
    I agree with phattysalz..the learning curve I think is bigger with WM 5 then POS. The only issue I have is that contacts one handed is really easy with the Treo. However, I have read that many people have found ways like voice tags on contacts to make them easy. The bottom line on the one handed thing though is it is easier to drive down the road and perform functions one the Troe and a little more challenging with the 8125. However, who needs to be e-mailing while they are driving down the road? I am guilty of this. IMO if one handed was easier to access contacts to make calls this would be a Treo killer.

    That being said, I think WM 5 blows POS away. I have never been happier with the ease by which my e-mails, calendar and contacts wirelessly sync. The phone/OS is super stable. After using WM5, I would never buy another Palm OS device unless they made major changes. I hear people talking about a 700P...I would never buy it. Now a GSM Treo 700W or Hollywood that runs WM 5 I would buy in a second and probably will when it is released.
  5. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
       #5  
    I wondered if the 6700 was the same device. I am trying to convince my fiance to get one of those as she is a Verizon user. Thanks for the input! In fact, I just shared this with her. I am trying to convince her that if she bought the cheapo data plan, she'd never know the difference because she would use WiFi all the time, anyway! It just sucks that Verizon MAKES you buy a data plan at all - I guess that's free enterprise for 'ya!

  6. #6  
    I for one DO NOT like the 8125 (but still own one) -contradictory???

    I am using my 650 as my main pda/phone and the 8125 as a IE WIFI browser...

    I prefer the T650 over the 8125.

    Reason why I am still holding on to the 8125 is because I know there is still potential.

    I love the chatter/verichat combo too much on the T650 to move. This is probably a WM5.0 (lack-of apps) fault and not HTC's.

    Oh yah, and the no-light keyboard (once slide out) is a deal breaker for me too.


    I am pretty confident that this device have potential though...just not a Treo killer yet
  7. BD1
    BD1 is offline
    BD1's Avatar
    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #7  
    I am sending my 8125 back. I prefer the one-handed form factor of the Treo 650. After playing with a friend's Treo 700 along with the 8125, it confirms for me that the Treo form factor with the one-handed usage is most important. I don't really care about Palm OS vs WM. Both can get the job done. I just prefer the Treo form factor (the new Siemens Loox device looks interesting). I had a t-mobile pocketpc before I got a Treo 600, then 650. I need a GSM device so while I like the 650, I will be looking for the next best GSM device with this form factor. I could be the Hollywood device or something like the Siemens device.
  8. #8  
    BD - at first I didn't care for the form factor either with the 8125 because of the lack of 1-handed operation, however, after getting used to the device and loading the softkeys program, I can do most everything without pulling out the stylus or keyboard (except to type obviously).
  9. #9  
    I REALLY like WM5 over the POS. However, the form factor might end up being a deal breaker for me in the end. I had to type in a phone number on the screen driving in today and it was a pain. I did set up some voice tags and they worked very well. I also figured out how to scroll quickly through my contacts which was helpful. IMO the only thing the Treo clobers the 8125 on is the one-handed use. I HAVE to have GSM for my international business travel so a Verizon 700 is not an option for me. I have a feeling that in the end I am going to be going with a GSM WM5 Treo when it comes out the end of Summer. ( hopefully ) In the mean time I have a little less then 30 days to give this phone a chance.
  10. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
       #10  
    the most annoying problem I have with the 650 is that I can't send email - consistently. I have the newest version of Versamail and a registered version of Chattermail, and both will randomly allow me to send and the other times I get the dreaded "550" error. I use email for work, and this is acritical issue for me. It's great being able to read my mail, but sometimes I need to reply quickly. Then I have to log into my acct via Blazer (boo) and go through all that. Factor in how SLOW data service has become in my area (and apparently others) and the email feature is not very useful. NOW factor in all the reliability issues with the 650 and what we're left with is a cool pda/phone that is pretty good when it works, and an absolute nightmare when it doesn't - which is too frequently. I wish this thing just worked all the time.

    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
  11. #11  
    I just don't get the one-handed "love" for the Treo 650, particularly when everyone talks about "dialing in" while driving. As good as teh Treo keyboard is ("was" for me") it is so far down on teh unit that it was very hard to dial the phone pad numbers while keeping it steady in your hand. Maybe my hands are jsut too small for a guy, but it was too hard to dial one-handed.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  12. #12  
    I saw some initial complaints that the 8125 was "really slow." They were referring to the user interface. Now I don't know what, if anything they were comparing it to. Now that being said, how you would compare it's speed or responsiveness to the Treo 650? Would you say faster, slower, or roghly similar?
    I only ask because my brother is very interested in this and I told him to hold off until I got an answer to this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  13. #13  
    I think that this is like the old argument I gave against giving up my i500 for a thumb-board phone (t650). "I can grafitti just as fast as any 'ol thumb-board!" .....NOT!!

    Anyway, now with the 650 for over a year, I could never go back, and it is faster and more convenient than the Grafitti.

    My point? We all resist change, I guess. Personally, I tried the CDMA version of this phone for a week and sent it back, one of the reasons being I did not like the keyboard and felt it required two hands.

    I call, email, and text with one hand all the time with my treo all the time while driving (and haven't even wrecked yet)
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I just don't get the one-handed "love" for the Treo 650, particularly when everyone talks about "dialing in" while driving. As good as teh Treo keyboard is ("was" for me") it is so far down on teh unit that it was very hard to dial the phone pad numbers while keeping it steady in your hand. Maybe my hands are jsut too small for a guy, but it was too hard to dial one-handed.
    i actually have larger hands, and i encounter the same problem.


    (dont get me wrong, the Treo one handed works great for the most part and ive got nothing but love for my 650 and my 600 before that.)
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  15. BD1
    BD1 is offline
    BD1's Avatar
    Posts
    228 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    I think that this is like the old argument I gave against giving up my i500 for a thumb-board phone (t650). "I can grafitti just as fast as any 'ol thumb-board!" .....NOT!!

    Anyway, now with the 650 for over a year, I could never go back, and it is faster and more convenient than the Grafitti.

    My point? We all resist change, I guess. Personally, I tried the CDMA version of this phone for a week and sent it back, one of the reasons being I did not like the keyboard and felt it required two hands.

    I call, email, and text with one hand all the time with my treo all the time while driving (and haven't even wrecked yet)

    I agree. I text msg and do short emails all the time. The keyboard along with Textplus is a great way to quickly reply to a text msg.

    I also use favorites when in the phone app and with one key press it is easy to phone, go to a web site, or application with on key press.

    This is why I am returning my 8125.
  16. tut00's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    BD - at first I didn't care for the form factor either with the 8125 because of the lack of 1-handed operation, however, after getting used to the device and loading the softkeys program, I can do most everything without pulling out the stylus or keyboard (except to type obviously).
    Wher did you get softkeys? I went to the forum where they were talking about it but didn't see a spot to download it.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tut00
    Wher did you get softkeys? I went to the forum where they were talking about it but didn't see a spot to download it.
    You have to register at the site first before you can see it for download
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I saw some initial complaints that the 8125 was "really slow." They were referring to the user interface. Now I don't know what, if anything they were comparing it to. Now that being said, how you would compare it's speed or responsiveness to the Treo 650? Would you say faster, slower, or roghly similar?
    I only ask because my brother is very interested in this and I told him to hold off until I got an answer to this.
    As a former Treo 650 user, it is a little less "snappy" (you'll see the replacement for the hourglass on occassion) but not that noticeable. For most all operations its a fast as my Treo was, and much more feature rich and functional.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    I think that this is like the old argument I gave against giving up my i500 for a thumb-board phone (t650). "I can grafitti just as fast as any 'ol thumb-board!" .....NOT!!

    Anyway, now with the 650 for over a year, I could never go back, and it is faster and more convenient than the Grafitti.

    My point? We all resist change, I guess. Personally, I tried the CDMA version of this phone for a week and sent it back, one of the reasons being I did not like the keyboard and felt it required two hands.

    I call, email, and text with one hand all the time with my treo all the time while driving (and haven't even wrecked yet)
    Shadow - give the 8125 a try - you'll be shocked how much Windows Mobile has improved, and what a great little device this is; and best of all, no more "What did you say?" on your end or the other end of the conversation.

    If only we could get an i500 size WM5 devices with 240x320 touch screen and telephone keypad; WiFi; bluetooth; real 3g - oh well, here's to waiting for 2008!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Shadow - give the 8125 a try - you'll be shocked how much Windows Mobile has improved, and what a great little device this is; and best of all, no more "What did you say?" on your end or the other end of the conversation.

    If only we could get an i500 size WM5 devices with 240x320 touch screen and telephone keypad; WiFi; bluetooth; real 3g - oh well, here's to waiting for 2008!

    Dale

    any idea when that phone will be out "unlocked GSM" version?
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions