Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Dale

any idea when that phone will be out "unlocked GSM" version?
    I don't think this one will ever be unlocked GSM, because it is specifically branded Cingular 8125. There's an Asian version (Dopod 838 I believe) which is unlocked, but just not available like the K-Jam and QTek versions of the Wizard. I actually like the body style of the K-Jam, but the keyboard is so much better on the 8125 (IMHO).

There are all kinds of posts around the net, however, on how easy it is to unlock, and of folks using them on T-Mobile. That may be the way to go. Also, Cingular has been known to be fairly cooperative on new accounts after ninety days if you let them know you're going overseas and want to use a prepaid SIM.

Truthfully, this 8125 is a powerhouse. I'm enjoying it much more than I did the Treo; not the least of which is the superior sound (on both ends of hte conversation). WiFi works great - if you switch it on it will connect your data to any networks or hotspots you've set up; as soon as you turn the WiFi radio off, it immediately reverts to GPRS/EDGE and keeps going. I've even been surfing on WiFi and answered a call with a bluetooth headset (sorry, EDGE and calls still do not mix, BUT, you go right back to where you were surfing on EDGE when a call ends, instead of starting all over).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I've posted some initial annoyances that I have experienced with the device here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...65#post6774865

It looks like some folks have begun to address my concerns so I don't want to duplicate the thread here.

Hope this helps someone.
    '
    i cant wait till i get the 8125!!! my puppy chewed up my 650!!!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    The battery seems kind of weak. I suppose a hi-capacity battery will soon be available (or may already be - haven't looked). I never had a handheld that has wi-fi so I don't have anything to compare it to. I do use wi-fi a bit so I suppose that eats up the battery. Chatting on the phone via BT and using wi-fi is a huge plus! This handheld is really functional. The switch to WM hasn't been too bad.
    WiFi eats batteries like kids eat candy. Mine will drop 20-25% points in 30 minutes. I do tend to leave the screen on full brightness as well, so its even worse I guess. As a regular phone, with the usual PIM use and occasional EDGE browsing, I can go two days between charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    WiFi eats batteries like kids eat candy. Mine will drop 20-25% points in 30 minutes. I do tend to leave the screen on full brightness as well, so its even worse I guess. As a regular phone, with the usual PIM use and occasional EDGE browsing, I can go two days between charges.
    Go into your WiFi Settings and turn the power-mode slider all the way to the right (most power-saving)...I still get the same WiFi performance/throughput but it uses a lot less battery.

Also having your screen brightness to one or two notches below the brightest helps a lot too. I can leave my WiFi on for the whole day (12 hours) with email checking, heavy browsing, chatting and it'll be 40% at the end of the day.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
    Go into your WiFi Settings and turn the power-mode slider all the way to the right (most power-saving)...I still get the same WiFi performance/throughput but it uses a lot less battery.

Also having your screen brightness to one or two notches below the brightest helps a lot too. I can leave my WiFi on for the whole day (12 hours) with email checking, heavy browsing, chatting and it'll be 40% at the end of the day.
    I'll have to give those settings a try. I can't believe you can leave WiFi on all day and have nay battery left after 2-3 hours. Amazing.
    I've had this phone now for two weeks and I'm trying to force myself to like it by leaving my 650 home when I go on business trips. The one thing I've noticed is that the speed of the internet is very slow so I did some speed tests this morning on this phone and then on the Treo and I noticed that the Treo was pulling speeds twice as fast.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Haven't done an official speed test between the two but to me the ppc feels much faster in the internet. could be that blazer just sucks.

I have been using this phone for a while now and my treo is just collecting dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by tut00
    Haven't done an official speed test between the two but to me the ppc feels much faster in the internet. could be that blazer just sucks.

I have been using this phone for a while now and my treo is just collecting dust.
    If you wouldn't mind, could you go to www.dslreports.com/mspeed and run a few tests? I know it varys by area but I'm curious what you get. I'm averaging 50kbps with the 8125 and 120kbps with the 650.

Thanks!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12