Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "January 3, 2006 – Pepper Computer, Inc., today announced the Pepper Pad Plus, an enhanced version of its Pepper Pad handheld media computer. New hardware features include: a new battery with more than 60 percent greater capacity; Wi-Fi 802.11g; a 30-gigabyte hard disk; and Bluetooth 2.0. The Pad Plus will also include a new software revision that will include: SIP-based Internet telephony (VoIP); Windows Media 9 Series audio and video; plus Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), which enables the Pad to stream music, photos and videos from other UPnP devices and PCs. The new Pepper Pad Plus will be available in the second quarter. There will be an upgrade program for existing Pepper Pad owners to obtain the new hardware features. Current Pepper Pad owners will be able to upgrade to the new software for free using the Get Updates button included in the existing software. The Pepper Pad, launched last summer, is the only device that enables consumers to hold in their own hands the world of digital media and broadband services. Rugged and splash-resistant, the Pepper Padprovides Mozilla Firefox-based Web browsing, e-mail and AOL instant messaging; streaming or downloading videos, music and photos plus photo sharing via Yahoo! Flickr; eBooks from Mobipocket; the TitanTV online programming guide and TV and stereo remote control. Upon release, the Pepper Pad Plus will be available to U.S. customers through select online retailers; it will be available to European and Canadian customers through Pepper.com"

The web site starts out

"If you could design the perfect handheld media computer for your customers to wirelessly access the world of digital media plus their favorite broadband services, what would it look like?

Portable, lightweight, splash resistant and rugged? Definitely.

Able to instantly connect to all their favorite activities via Wi-Fi - Mozilla Firefox based Web browsing, e-mail, AOL IM, streaming and downloaded music and video, photo sharing, remote control and more? Absolutely....."

Oh...only problem is ya may have a bit of trouble finding a holster for it....and oh yeah....it weighs 2.3 pounds

I started reading the blurbs with a little excitement and was a bit disappointed when I linked to the site and saw the pictire Their definition of handheld a bit different than mine

http://www.pepper.com/
    They said rugged. Can you drop it and not break the screen? 802.11b - not upgradable? Voice functions to be added later. Hmmm, at $845, looks like a lap top. No full cell phone support or is that to be added later?
  3.    #3  
    The way the guys holding it looks like he's about to crown someone. I saw phone and VOIP and started getting anxious Doesn't look like phone radio only internet calls.
    LCD display is no way rugged. One hard hit on the display, that PC is a goner.
    So are mini-laptops competing with PDAs in the near future? If there's no cell phone service, stand alone PDA's what this will really be competing with.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think people are going to begin trading off the smaller handheld stuff to have a larger screen (at least that's what I see in terms of newer handheld/'pads' that are coming out.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

People will never trade their small phone for a large phone with large screen. People who need that will eventually buy a video iPod (when a 5" screen iPod is available.)
  8.    #8  
    Put a Treo docking station in that bugger and I might be interested ! With its small 30 Gig HD, (Vista will probably require 12 Gigs just for the OS) it must have some stripped down OS in resulting in, I expect, quick load times. Something like that in the breifcase, Treo in pocket....and a wireless full size KB that works on both.

Then again, a WindowPC lalptop would probably make me grin a bit more.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I read about this thing a while back on one of the home theater forums. That's actually the market they were after then (still?). It's more of a home theater convergence device. I doubt they ever intended us to want it for a smartphone!
    I still think they're also targeting stand alone PDA and laptop people.

Favorite online activities
    Web Browser-Directly access the Web with our Mozilla™ based browser. Keep and organize bookmarks and Web page clippings (for offline viewing)
    E-mail-Send and receive e-mail using the virus and spyware resistant Mail application. Mail keeps all messages until they are deleted, remembers every address mail was sent to, and automatically completes known addresses. Includes POP3, IMAP4 and AOL® Inbox support
    IM client-A completely integrated AOL® Instant Messenger ™ compatible IM client with tabbed session management.

Mobility
    802.11b Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth device support, which lets the Pepper Pad "talk" to other high tech products, such as a full-size keyboard and/or mouse

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I still think they're also targeting stand alone PDA and laptop people.

Favorite online activities
    Web Browser-Directly access the Web with our Mozilla™ based browser. Keep and organize bookmarks and Web page clippings (for offline viewing)
    E-mail-Send and receive e-mail using the virus and spyware resistant Mail application. Mail keeps all messages until they are deleted, remembers every address mail was sent to, and automatically completes known addresses. Includes POP3, IMAP4 and AOL® Inbox support
    IM client-A completely integrated AOL® Instant Messenger ™ compatible IM client with tabbed session management.

Mobility
    802.11b Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth device support, which lets the Pepper Pad "talk" to other high tech products, such as a full-size keyboard and/or mouse

You would be surprised with all the attorneys at work that rely on just a PDA. I think the standard PDA has a good year or two left befor the PDA/phone hybrid is the standard. I know I was one of those guys who always wanted to get the perfect PDA/phone combo. Now that I've come across a few, I just can't wait to get perfect one. I mean sooner or later everything will be as small as the JasJar, phone, laptop...and the kitchen sink. That thing there looks like an oversized gameboy or is it just me? I mean it looks interesting but I just don't know...
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    That's bad if laptops become too small. I use them to build websites, I need screen real estate. But I hate desktops. Hopefully the "desktop replacement"-type laptops will stay with at least 17" screens. But they are getting thinner I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    People will never trade their small phone for a large phone with large screen. People who need that will eventually buy a video iPod (when a 5" screen iPod is available.)
    Look at all the 6600 customers....or the Universal customers in EU....it is happening right now.

There will always be a selection of bigger and smaller screens, but there are a lot of legit reasons and needs for a larger screen (both pro and personal) .
    • Spreadsheets
    • Surfing
    • Remote Administration
    • GPS
    • Games
    • Movies
    • Word Docs

I am not saying one is better than another, but there is certainly no doubt that there is a market for it.
    It looks like a big PSP.........
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Man that thing's a lot bigger than what I was expecting. I'll just stick with my Treo, and my three pound laptop.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Man that thing's a lot bigger than what I was expecting. I'll just stick with my Treo, and my three pound laptop.
    Same here...except my new laptop will weigh close to 13 pounds....I call it a "luggable".
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Same here...except my new laptop will weigh close to 13 pounds....I call it a "luggable".
    Will weight? You havent gotten it yet?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Will weight? You havent gotten it yet?
    Specc'ing it out ATM

https://www.widowpc.com/
    What games do you want to play on it?

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    What games do you want to play on it?
    AutoCAD. No one makes a Hi performance business machine anymore making us move to hi end gaming boxes to design bridges and buildings and stuff. Kinda odd that improvements in bridge design owe themselves in part to fragmeisters. Your top of the line CAD machine is essentially a gaming box with a Quaddro vid card instead of the normal 7800GTX. Next month widow will have 19" screen SLI laptops.

I build all of our desktops but am not quite ready to take on laptop construction.

Now not that I am past firing up a good game like FEAR, Morrowind, SeriousSam, or the Saga of Ryzon afer hours.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast