1.    #1  
    I've read through Hobbes' posts about new WM users, and am considering getting this device. Some additional questions:

1) How is battery life? I've read everywhere from 'better than 700w' to '2 hours with no use'.

2) Is there any equivalent (w/ hacks, etc) to the Treo's ringer off switch?

3) Any leaks of the 6800 yet?

4) What are the chances that I will be able to use it as the sole ISP for my laptop through DUN? (I know it's technically possible, but what is the bandwidth limit before Sprint starts to complain?)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I've read through Hobbes' posts about new WM users, and am considering getting this device. Some additional questions:

1) How is battery life? I've read everywhere from 'better than 700w' to '2 hours with no use'.

2) Is there any equivalent (w/ hacks, etc) to the Treo's ringer off switch?

3) Any leaks of the 6800 yet?

4) What are the chances that I will be able to use it as the sole ISP for my laptop through DUN? (I know it's technically possible, but what is the bandwidth limit before Sprint starts to complain?)
    My boss is on his second 6700 and he is starting to consider just getting rid of it all together. When it works with Active Sync and everything he loves it, but it does not seem to work. His last phone was having some real problems and the battery would only last about 5 hours after it was fully charged.

It does not have a hardware ringer off switch, I am sure there might be some sort of software version but that would not really be the equivalent.

Overall I really don't like the whole layout and design of the phone. The keyboard is hard to type on and you can't do anything one handed. I get annoyed at the speed of the device, especially with minor tasks such as switching from portrait to landscape mode. My boss was going to buy me one but I told him I'll hold off for something better and keep my 650.
    it totally does have a ringer off switch! i don't know what the other reviewers were smoking. i went into a verizon store yesterday to compare the 6700 and the 700w and i think i'm going with the 6700... it has a slider/jogdial style switch that turns the volume up and down. it's not one click- but you slide it down a few times and you're all set. the sprint model might not have one- but verizon's does.
    i was impressed by everything on the verizon model except the screen- it was small by comparison to the PPC screens i'm used to but very readable. the one handed control was overall pretty good but i did find myself a little annoyed that you had to slide out the keyboard to type and it was just right in front of you... the other crap thing is that the keyboard doesn't have a num pad similar to the treo and it just has the numbers in a row- but i guess that's ok.

there are registry hacks that you can use to tether it to your computer through the USB port. i don't know offhand where to find them, but i remember using one for a similar phone. it pretty much switches off activesync and allows the phone to be detected as a modem- with the proper driver on the computer.
    if i'm not mistaken- pdanet now works with any WM phone and not just the treo
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    It does NOT have a ringer off switch. Kenundrum is on crack. Multiple presses on a jog dial does not equal a ringer off switch like the Treos have.

Battery life has been about 6 hours for me. It's one of the worst things about this phone.

There is NO bandwidth limit from Sprint as long as you have the correct plan. Otherwise, there is no DUN at all.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    It does NOT have a ringer off switch. Kenundrum is on crack. Multiple presses on a jog dial does not equal a ringer off switch like the Treos have.

Battery life has been about 6 hours for me. It's one of the worst things about this phone.

There is NO bandwidth limit from Sprint as long as you have the correct plan. Otherwise, there is no DUN at all.
    Thanks 2000 Man.

When you say 'correct plan', do you mean Unlimited Power Vision or Phone-as-Modem. I've read that they can't track the 6700 so you don't need PAM, but I've also read about some people getting surprises on their bills.

Battery life: 6 hours I'm assuming with the regular battery and heavy use. For comparison purposes, what would you say you got with a 650?

FINALLY, and this is a HUGE deal for me: Has anyone been able to get Sprint to give you a 14-day trial and waive the activation fee if you return it? I specifically asked the Sprint Store and *2 and they all said the activation fee will not be waived. I've never paid an activation fee for my 300/600/650 so maybe I just need to keep calling back until someone gets it right. Any other suggestions?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Phone as Modem. It's my understanding that the Sanyo 9000 was the only phone that couldn't be tracked and that's why Sprint recently discontinued it. The PAM plans are pretty inexpensive though.

My 650 with stock battery gets about 16 hours of similar usage. With the high-capacity battery, it's about 24 hours of heavy usage. The 6700 doesn't have a high-capacity battery available that's the same size as stock. With more casual usage, the 6700 last almost a day and the Treo lasts about three days.