1.    #1  
    ...the cool ones at least. If and when Palm disappoints me with the release of the next GSM Treo (either by spec or by a release date too far into the future - I need something by end of summer), I may be getting something other than a Treo.

It seems that a lot of the other devices I've been looking at (T-Mobile MDA, FS Loox T810/830, Nokia e61) all use miniSD. Not a huge problem I guess since miniSD is becoming more and more affordable, though not at the rate of regular SD. Other than a higher price-per-MB with miniSD, are there any other drawbacks? I don't really ever see SDIO mentioned with miniSD, now that I think about it.

Anything else?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I don't know of anything SDIO/MiniSD compatible at this point. I can't really figure out why everything is going this route - I mean, really - is SD just too darn big? My son's ROKR came with a MiniSD and that thing is RIDICULOUSLY small! I wouldn't want to have to keep up with more than one of those things.

Also, I just imagine the next GSM Treo is going to be the 700W. That's only a guess, but it seems only logical. I'm all but ready to order the Cingular 8125. I'm not anxious to leave the Palm OS, but they have really dropped the ball as far as innovation AND reliablilty. Both used to be hallmarks of the OS. The form factor is about all the Treo has going for it anymore. It's a shame, too - as a 600 and 650 owner, it would be nice if they could make the product less buggy, give it more memory, and give the SDIO enough thought to make it compatible with a bigger range of accessories (such as WiFi cards with the 650). I guess, eventually, we all have to move on...

3.    #3  
    OK, so I have found a miniSD wifi card used successfully on the HP IPAQ 65xx series:

http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7967

http://mobilitytoday.com/news.php?n=...00_minisd_wifi

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=125665

At least there is development going on in the miniSD/SDIO area, which is encouraging. I'm sure there will be more for other uses (like various scanners and adapters).

I guess another thing to keep in mind is that even if a device has a minSD slot, it doesn't mean that it's SDIO-compatible. Unfortunately I have not read anything that includes "SDIO" when researching the Cingular 8125/T-Mobile MDA (aka HTC Wizard).

Plus their miniSD slots have a 1GB max capacity (I think 2GB miniSD cards are only a few months old now).

The search continues...
    I noticed that too. Looks like mini and micro SD are finally going to be accepted. People used to hate them, I'm guessing because of limited space and they were a bit more expensive than full size SD.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I don't know of anything SDIO/MiniSD compatible at this point. I can't really figure out why everything is going this route - I mean, really - is SD just too darn big?
    Note, it's just not the size fo the card, but the space required to fit card socket on the board as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Note, it's just not the size fo the card, but the space required to fit card socket on the board as well...
    Yeah, the more I read about this I realize how manufacturers are moving to miniSD to fit in GPS, wifi, etc. while trying to keep overall device size down. I guess since miniSD is a growing trend it will be widely supported and not quite as big a negative for me as before (though I need a 2GB card soon and the 2GB miniSDs are still pretty high priced since they've only been out for a bit.)
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I guess if a device has built in wifi and bluetooth is fully functional, the need for sdio devices is diminished. A smaller socket does make sense - these things are just TINY. I guess a 2gb card would be adequate for most folks to use (myself included). I think part of it is resentment of the need to buy new products to maintain functionality. I've gone to great lengths to buy ONLY sd compatible devices over the last two years - now I have to buy a new card(s). At least I can put the miniSD in an adapter and use it with my other devices if the need arises.

Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.