Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I am a real estate broker in Houston. I switched to my first “smartphone” device with my purchase of the Blackberry 7290 over a year ago. It had its strengths and weaknesses. Strengths include a fantastic email function (synching with Web client service is instantaneous; definitely a patent worth fighting for), nice QWERTY keyboard for the size, intelligent and relatively low profile holster, scroll wheel with push button select for one-handed navigation, Bluetooth capable, and simple USB synch to desktop. Weaknesses include horrible ‘web browser’ (part the fault of Blackberry, part the fault of Cingular I suppose), poor form factor as a handheld phone, no speakerphone, no memory card slot, poor handset volume, and average battery life.

I was intrigued by the Treo 650 as a possibly better real estate tool and hopefully just as good a phone. The Treo’s infrared function has Supra-compatible software for access real estate lockboxes for home showings. Plus the web feature was marketed as better than the GPRS-based Blackberry. So I picked up a 650 from Cingular online. And the disappointments began almost immediately.

1) First, this thing reboots on its own. Out of nowhere, the device goes blank, and next thing I know I’ve got Palm logos and reboot bars on the screen. Same for the radio. I’ll be minding my own business, and the phone chimes and says, “Goodbye,” and then may or may not say “Hello” to me again seconds later. Very strange. Is Cingular doing software or firmware upgrades three times a day? I read forums that said I may have corrupt software. So I did a native whatever reboot. No luck. Next I read it may be a missing rib on the SIM card holder. Strike two. Can’t figure it out. One Point to Blackberry.
    2) There is no holster/case that for the Treo that compares to the Blackberry. I’ve tried the skin/seido holster combo (yes, I got the holster that supposedly accommodates skinned Treos). It snags the upper skin cutout, and the lower part of the treo is too snug. I’ve tried the zipper case/clip combo. The ones with the built in screen protector result in phantom stylus commands when poking the screen at the other end. So I have to take the treo out of the zipper case anytime stylus commands are required. I don’t want the super foam fitting cases, because they don’t fit in car mounts, and they are bulky in pockets, and they don’t have clip options for belts. Blackberry’s case was great. The phone buzzed when holstered, rang when unholstered, which is simple and intelligent. There is no Treo case that I have found that comes close. Two more points to Blackberry.
    3) Bluetooth headset volume is horrible. I read several forums that said due to compatibility issues, your best and safest Bluetooth headset is the Treo brand. Although battery life is very good, volume output is awful. Installing the Volumecare Freeware does not help Bluetooth volume, only handset/speakerphone/wired headset. I read some forums that say I should custom fabricate a Jabra eargel to the Treo headset. That seems absurd. My Jabra 250 worked great with my Blackberry. Why should I go through custom earpiece fabrication just to get solid Bluetooth performance from the Treo? Very puzzling. Two more points to Blackberry.
    4) Email on the Treo is awful. Unreliable. This is my most business-critical feature. Xpressmail works only 30% of the time, the other 70% of the time giving me an S7121 error message saying, “Cannot connect to desktop.” Maybe I have something configured wrong, but if I did, why does it work 30% of the time? A call to Xpressmail at Cingular says I need to take away the calendar function from the synching. But I have no Calendar function in the option menu of Xpressmail to even think of taking away. This remains unresolved. 5 more points to Blackberry.
    5) The keyboard is poor, but I could live with it were it not for the above disappointments.

So the only redeeming features of the Treo over the Blackberry are a better web browser (faster, better layout) and the Supra Key function. Otherwise, the Treo is hardly a Smartphone based on my 2.5 weeks experience. I must be missing something. There are so many users and publications that sing the praises of this Treo. But given the above, I don’t see any reasons to justify all the praise. I’d love to get some input from forum members to help me improve the Treo’s performance. But just kindly pass this thread by if your only suggestion is to attach a hyperlink to a thread that discusses preferences without addressing these very real functional shortfalls.
    Try Chatter for heavy email usage. Everyone loves it and the developer is on this forum to answer questions!

I don't understand the poor keyboard statement, though. I LOVE the keyboard.

However, about the constant reboot, Cingular has 30 day test period. Return the 650 for another and see what happens. But first, did you download the latest Cingular firmware update on the Palm site? Maybe try that first and if it still happens, then return it.

I can't see living with a BB after using a real PDA, unless the BB allows heavy calender and task functions(does it?). Then there's RIM's legal problems. they claim they have a workaround, but then NTP claims they will sue again because that is also an infringement. I'd wait untill BB clears up their problems before settling in with a BB.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm the exact opposite. I got a 7250 (same thing as the 90, just cdma) and it is horrible. It doesn't last me a day in bat life, and I won't even talk on the phone. The treo is so much better on everything, except i do like push email. Chatter seems like a good deal so maybe I'll try that out when I get my 650 (3rd time now) tomorrow
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minman
    I am a real estate broker in Houston............So the only redeeming features of the Treo over the Blackberry are a better web browser (faster, better layout) and the Supra Key function. Otherwise, the Treo is hardly a Smartphone based on my 2.5 weeks experience. I must be missing something. There are so many users and publications that sing the praises of this Treo. But given the above, I don’t see any reasons to justify all the praise. I’d love to get some input from forum members to help me improve the Treo’s performance. But just kindly pass this thread by if your only suggestion is to attach a hyperlink to a thread that discusses preferences without addressing these very real functional shortfalls.
    You raise a number of valid points...some of which I have experienced.
    In the end however, I believe you are comparing apples and oranges.

A compelling reason for me to have a Treo is the ability to receive email and then open, work with and forward the Excel, Word and PDF attachments. This is a very real business benefit to me.

I subscribe to a fax service that sends my faxes to me via email in PDF format. The end result is that with regard to documents I'm in my virtual office wherever I have my Treo.

As a real estate broker wouldn't it be helpful to to get a Seller's latest counter-offer while you are at a restaurant rather than when you get to your fax machine. Wouldn't it be better to open an Excel spreadsheet to do custom calculations for a potential buyer. You could carry a laptop...but I'd rather have a laptop equivalent in my shirt pocket. (OK laptop equivalent may be a stretch).

Also, I find the 320x320 screen to be functional and easy to look at.

I don't pretend the Treo is perfect...and I'd switch to something else immediately if it had all the tools I needed without the problems you mentioned. At this point I'm sticking with the Treo...warts and all.
    --Nelson
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Nelson...I agree that the attachment feature is more robust, but it is meaningless if you can't get the email tickler in the first place.

Since my original post earlier this evening, I've been tinkering with the Versamail option. Seems simpler, and I got it to work except the ESMTP authentication is erroring out on sent messages (my sbcglobal host requires authentication for outgoing messages). When I use the cwmx.com SMTP, I can successfully send, but it doesn't give the recipient my preferred reply-to address. So responses to messages originated from my treo are lost, unless I add yet another POP as a patch solution. I know there are 3rd party services that let you dictate the reply-to, but again, this seems like driving from Houston to Dallas via Atlanta. I never had any problems with the speed, frequency, or reliability of Blackberry's email solution.
    Any luck after downloading the Cingular firmware update?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There's people over at the BB thread saying exactly the opposite.
    Just call me Berd.
    berdinkerdickle - Saying the opposite of what?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Lady Treo,

I have firmware version 1.51, software version treo650-1.17-cng, and hardware "A". Is this outdated in your opinion?
    No, that looks like the update.
    Try returning the phone, then.

BTW, I have heard there's a difference between hardware A and B. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    BTW, I have heard there's a difference between hardware A and B. What is it?
    I've had an "A" and currently have a "B". There are no real differences other than the little bell icon on on the sound switch is black for "on".

Others have said there are more differences, but in my experience I can't say it's dur to the hardware version or just slight device-to-device variances in production. For example, my "P" key isn't smushy on my B version but some people with an A version didn't complain of a smushy "P" key. Some have said the A version has a brighter/whiter screen, but I can't really tell. There are a couple of threads around here about this.
    Lady Treo - Lok at this thread for a discussion about the differences (imagined and not). http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=100320
    Member pegleg near the bottom of the thread as a pitcure of an "A" and B" side-by-side as his/her avatar and you can see the screen color difference. I didn't have this problem with my "B", at least not that I can notice.
    I have had a 7100, 7290 and an 8711 and I can tell you of them all the 8700 is the only BB I almost gave my Treo up for. In the end I have way too much functionality that works better then any of the BB's. I have no reset problems and I use activesync to get my corporate e-mial and wireless calendar sync's. With BB connect coming out for Treo Feb/Mar I do not see any reason to own a BB.
    So Hardware A is bluish tint and B is yellowish tint? I'll do my best to keep A. I love blue, LOL!

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minman
    Nelson...I agree that the attachment feature is more robust, but it is meaningless if you can't get the email tickler in the first place.

.......... I can successfully send, but it doesn't give the recipient my preferred reply-to address. So responses to messages originated from my treo are lost, unless I add yet another POP as a patch solution. I know there are 3rd party services that let you dictate the reply-to...............
    I ran into the same 'reply-to' limitation with Versamail the day I got my Treo...after doing some research I got Snappermail which does everything I want. Others recommend Chattermail.

Is this extra setup more work...yes. Is it worthwhile to get the whole set of tools that I want...it is for me...YMMV...
    Last edited by nelson1; 02/11/2006 at 10:10 PM.
    --Nelson
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Lots of good points folks. And I want to like the Treo. Maybe I have a faulty unit regarding the random power and radio cycling issue. But Blackberry email works properly out of the box, no snapper chatter required. Xpressmail's feature of desktop document access is cool, but worthless when S7121 happens 70% of the time. And that still leaves case/cradle/holster and bluetooth volume shortcomings. My Treo being able to double as a tv remote or MP3 player doesn't quite make up for dropping the ball on handheld basics. If you want an antiquated phone and emailer with cool gaming apps, then the Treo fits the bill. Just doesn't seem to be the best choice for the business-critical crowd, if the best remedies for my Treo troubles are what's been shared above.
    Exchange the phone and try again if you're within 30 days. The 650 is PERFECT for business, that's exactly who the main target crowd is. Or try the BB 8700c, since you seem to prefer BB. But with RIM's uncertain future, wait until the ruling comes out first, I would say.

I just gave the 8700c a one week tryout after having my Treo 650 for nearly a year. I am going back to the Treo. Using Chatteremail, I have the same "push" functionality as the Blackberry, plus with Docs to Go (inlcuded) I can actually read attachments that are in word, excel, powerpoint or pdf. On the BB attachments are a nightmare. You have to buy a very expensive extra program that sends the attachment to a remote server for rendering and then back to you. Very slow. Text is easier to read on the Treo. From time-to-time there is an unexpected reboot--usually linked to a 3rd party software conflict or before I got chatter, Versamail. I also find the syncing more complete on the Treo (as a Mac user syncing with Microsoft Entourage).
    I may consider the 8700 when T-Mobile comes out with it soon. What is the expensive extra program, please, and did you try any others that didn't work? Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Blackberry is doomed - DOOMED, I tell you
    I don't know that for sure. I DID hear on NPR today that depending on how a judge rules very soon, 3 million Blackberries may stop functioning properly? I don't know enough about BBs to understand what I heard, but it sounded bad! I would at least research what all this means before I bought one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast