Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just a heads up:

The Cingular 8125 is now available for ordering through b2b.

More info here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...9&page=1&pp=15

What's funny is Cingular added the pink RAZR to it's site instead of the 8125. I hope they add it soon.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Guys:

A question, not a poke: I have seen only two Cingular handsets up close and I have to say that their network seems very poor compared to VZW. In both cases, my handset was functional in areas where the Cingular handset could not make calls.

What is your experience with their network availability around the country? Surely it cannot be that bad??!!

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
  4.    #4  
    I admit, Verizon DOES have a spectacular network. (My friend has VZW)

As with all Wireless Carriers however, you just have to pick what works best for you.

From the area where I am at, (Southern Cali), Cingular works perfectly fine here.

I travel at times, so a GSM network has its advantages for me.

HOWEVER, Verizon's EVDO is a cool deal-breaker.

Guess I am kind of rambling, but really I guess with Wireless Carriers, you just have to pick what works for you.
    Yes, EvDO is cool, but the $45.00 a month to get it is not so cool.

I agree with choosing the network that works best for you, but I was just curious as my experiences with these two different Cingular users in two different areas, kind of impressed me that a possible trend was developing.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I have seen only two Cingular handsets up close and I have to say that their network seems very poor compared to VZW. In both cases, my handset was functional in areas where the Cingular handset could not make calls.
    It's gonna depend where you are sitting. Cingular has an ad in Sunday's paper quoting a NY Metro area study which showed that no one has less dropped calls then they do. In marketing speak that probably means they have say 1.00 % and somebody else has 1.0000001 %. Personally, I have both verizon and cingular on eastern LI and I get better service with Cingular despite the signal boost I'm suppossed to get with the "in vehicle" Verizon phone.

It all comes down to the ability to buy tower space and with Cingular only slightly larger than verizon, I gotta believe that each is buying a comparable amount of tower sites. So if Cingular buys 10 here and Verizon buys 8, then Verizon gonna have some extra cash left over to buy 2 sites more than Cingular somewhere else. Obviously that's an over simplification but you see where I am going. If any carrier was remarkably better everywhere then the other carrier simply wouldn't have any customers.
    Cingular works fine in major metro areas, from what I've seen. I could be wrong, but I think GSM doesn't extend well into the boonies.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Verizon's network is just so freakin old and superior it goes everywhere including the boonies. Cingular's is pretty extensive and goes 97% of all places most of us would typically travel in to.

That being said I have a SimpleFreedom pre-paid phone which uses the Alltell/Verizizon network. I use it in the rare places where my Cingular GSM doesn't work (rural northern California.) So if I have to have a Verizon pre-paid to suppliment my Cingular coverage, then what does that tell you. By the way so far I've never had the opposite where Cingular worked and Verizon didn't.
    Verizon's pre-paid is redicoulous, that's why I have the SimpleFreedom. I keep it as a back up and hardly ever use it. It just remains charged with minutes.

If you want the most complete voice coverge, there's no arguing that Verizon is more complete. Verizon is however more expensive, and the data coverage does not necessarily work in those rural areas where you roam in to.

That being said I still like Cingular more for several reasons.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Cingular works fine in major metro areas, from what I've seen. I could be wrong, but I think GSM doesn't extend well into the boonies.
    I am out on eatsern LI in "farm country" ...near the infamous "hamptons". I have both Cingular and Verizon phones and Cingular gets far better coverage.

We have conferences each year in a place called Rennselearville NY (sp ?) There are no TV's in rooms...they just added room phones 2 years ago. This isolation is intentional as the place is world renown as a conference center and the lack of distraction is key selling point.

When you drive into town, you automaically start hearing "deliverance music" in your head.

My Verizon "boosted" (OnStar) phone gets a signal if I park in one spot on the property. My Treo gets workable signal almost everywhere.

I think its just a matter of how much tower space they rent in each area. Whatever they spend in my area, that's less money they have to spend somewhere else.

The one area where I think one carrier has a real advanatge is in commercials....Verizon had the best commercials ....well up until Sprint's superbowl "theft deterrent system" commercial.
    My GSM phone popped and crackled badly in smalltown WI, but it was on T-Mobile, so maybe that was it.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Verizon's network is just so freakin old and superior it goes everywhere including the boonies. Cingular's is pretty extensive and goes 97% of all places most of us would typically travel in to.

That being said I have a SimpleFreedom pre-paid phone which uses the Alltell/Verizizon network. I use it in the rare places where my Cingular GSM doesn't work (rural northern California.) So if I have to have a Verizon pre-paid to suppliment my Cingular coverage, then what does that tell you. By the way so far I've never had the opposite where Cingular worked and Verizon didn't.
    Verizon's pre-paid is redicoulous, that's why I have the SimpleFreedom. I keep it as a back up and hardly ever use it. It just remains charged with minutes.

If you want the most complete voice coverge, there's no arguing that Verizon is more complete. Verizon is however more expensive, and the data coverage does not necessarily work in those rural areas where you roam in to.

That being said I still like Cingular more for several reasons.
    Cingular must have upgraded the towers recently, 6 months ago I would agree with coverage in NorCal, but now I get great reception.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    for whatever reason, this is not showing up on our Corporate b2b site. how can I order it?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I wouldn't mind getting the MDA or this 8125 then getting it unlocked. I have to admit as bad as my Cingular service was here in Denver they do have some of the coolest phones. To bad T-Mobile hasn't released any of the phones from their international sites. OMG have you seen the phones they have listed???
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am out on eatsern LI in "farm country" ...near the infamous "hamptons". I have both Cingular and Verizon phones and Cingular gets far better coverage.

We have conferences each year in a place called Rennselearville NY (sp ?) There are no TV's in rooms...they just added room phones 2 years ago. This isolation is intentional as the place is world renown as a conference center and the lack of distraction is key selling point.

When you drive into town, you automaically start hearing "deliverance music" in your head.

My Verizon "boosted" (OnStar) phone gets a signal if I park in one spot on the property. My Treo gets workable signal almost everywhere.

I think its just a matter of how much tower space they rent in each area. Whatever they spend in my area, that's less money they have to spend somewhere else.

The one area where I think one carrier has a real advanatge is in commercials....Verizon had the best commercials ....well up until Sprint's superbowl "theft deterrent system" commercial.
    This was the single best commercial of the 'bowl, and made me very happy as I was a HUGE fan of Brian Barker's (Trench Coat Man) commercial's. I think his leaving was the worst part of the Sprint/Nextel merger (the best part being looking at all those hicks who love their Nextel and saying "Welcome to the family yokles!")!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    I wouldn't mind getting the MDA or this 8125 then getting it unlocked. I have to admit as bad as my Cingular service was here in Denver they do have some of the coolest phones. To bad T-Mobile hasn't released any of the phones from their international sites. OMG have you seen the phones they have listed???
    Yes, and I was very depressed looking at the UK T-Mobile site. But the MDA and SDA are coming in the middle of February for US T-Mobile. FINALLY!!

I know. Try getting one of those phones for a reasonable price...forget it. Now if T-Mobile decides to get the WM Treo I might look into that, as I'm currently looking for a new WM phone for T-Mobile.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    So people on Howard Forums are saying they're getting the 8125 for anywhere from $250-$350 depending on what kind of contract renewal they get and if they get corporate discounts. I think it's reasonable to expect you can get one for under $400.

I think I'm going to wait for a WM5 with HSDPA. I'm hoping we'll see one later this year.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I just emailed my b2b rep at Cingular. I am standing at the handrail, ready to leap off the 650 ship. I just hope I'm not too seasick to jump Hopefully, in a week or two, I can give my girlfriend my 650 and she can give her 600 to her sister! This is the first time I have been at the TOP of the hand-me-down chain!
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    So people on Howard Forums are saying they're getting the 8125 for anywhere from $250-$350 depending on what kind of contract renewal they get and if they get corporate discounts. I think it's reasonable to expect you can get one for under $400.

I think I'm going to wait for a WM5 with HSDPA. I'm hoping we'll see one later this year.
    Is it available for corporate buyers only as of now? I have not seen it on the consumer site.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    I know. Try getting one of those phones for a reasonable price...forget it. Now if T-Mobile decides to get the WM Treo I might look into that, as I'm currently looking for a new WM phone for T-Mobile.
    I read somewhere that the SDA would be $299 and the MDA $399; it didn't say whether that was a plus-plan price.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast