Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    Here you go. It's in the Wizard forum on the xda developers site:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0
    got it...Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Haven't found network time, but to tell you the truth I haven't tried hard because that always caused glitches on my Treo 650. There's a separate thread and FAQ over on HoFo about getting WiFi working, and now it is a dream. At home, I can use EDGE, but then turn on the WiFi radio and it automatically switches PIE to the faster connection. EDGE is no slouch (125-140kbs around here; that was ISDN territory just a few years ago), but kicks when the WiFi switches on (750-900kbs on a 1.5mb dsl - pretty good for a 200mhz processor). Then you turn off the WiFi and it automatically goes back to EDGE. Too cool.
    I have to say I like this device. I can't seem to get the WiFi fully working. It connects to my wifi network and gets a valid IP address, but Pocket IE doesn't want to use that connection. IE works fine over EDGE. I tried looking for the seperate thread/FAQ @ HoFo but couldn't find it. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Regarding one handed use...
    I find the only time I use the Treo one handed is while driving - which we ALL know is a REALLY BAD HABIT. Maybe I'll miss it more than I am expecting, but maybe I'll live longer as a result
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    I have to say I like this device. I can't seem to get the WiFi fully working. It connects to my wifi network and gets a valid IP address, but Pocket IE doesn't want to use that connection. IE works fine over EDGE. I tried looking for the seperate thread/FAQ @ HoFo but couldn't find it. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    All the answers are in this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=850316

Look for FoxBat's summary on page 2 - it's excellent. The key is deleting proxy settings. Mine's working great now. If at home, I can use EDGE, or turn on WiFi and it immediatley connects to our wireless network in preference to the EDGE connection, until I turn off the wireless radio, then it auomatically defaults back to EDGE. A perfect solution for me.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    sweet! Thank you dstrauss. Worked great!! Up and running. I like how it defaults to EDGE when no wifi is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    compared to treeo 650 -

1. How's the one handed operation?
    2. How's the memory management?
    3. How's the email?
    4. Do you think this device is comparable in features and function to the 650?

Thanks!
    I would agree with txschafers on everything but number 4 - I feel the 8125 is far more feature packed and functional than the 650:

1. Seems Smaller: To start, although it is slighlty thicker (0.1 inch) it is slimmer, shorter, and absent the antennae just looks smaller on the table and in hand.

2. This is a Mini-Computer: Despite being smaller, this is truly a mini-computer in your pocket. Software very well integrated with desktop; Outlook a good email program; Pocket Word and Excel much better than prior PPC versions. PIE beats Blazer hands down.

3. WiFi: What more can I say. Once set up, it defaults to any WiFi connection you set up (over EDGE/GPRS) then goes back to EDGE when you turn off the WiFi radio. Brilliant.

4. Memory: No shortage here. I've had 6-8 programs open at same time with no glitches; can go from Word, to PIE to a telephone call and not lose your place in the other programs. If gets to full, you may need to go to the memory program and really close all programs, or use one or more of the button hacks to do that.

5. Phone Quality: Incoming and outgoing an excellent sound quality. No more "what did you say" on either end of the conversation.

6. No Spontaneous Resets. Stable. Enough said.

7. Better Keyboard. It's just bigger and better to type on - Period.

8. Better Screen: No, it's not 320x320, but it is clear, crisp, and landscape is a boon for surfing because it's a little bigger.

9. Email: If you have an Exchange Server 2003, this is a must have device for wireless syncing of email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. Versamail NEVER correctly synced with our Exchange Server two times in a row.

10. Voice Tags: Work great (takes time setting them up) but work good not only for dialing, but starting programs!

I could go on, but I do have to do some work today. Is it flawless; no way.

But there are lots of hacks out there to speed it up and make WiFi better: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=850316

The program smartskey.exe is a must because it makes a push and hold of the softkeys open the start menu and select the ok/X button: http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0

Overall, I'd say WM5 is somewhere between Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. Much more stable and flexible; not yet Windows XP but getting there.

Without a doubt, the best converged device I've ever used, and actually one of the BEST PDA's I've had (including the gold standard Palm Vx).
    Last edited by dstrauss; 02/19/2006 at 05:09 PM.
    I have a question about Activesync. When I am "not" connected to my computer my e-mail, contacts and calendar sync perfectly. When I am connected only my non-exchange items sync and I get an error that I had a network problem. However I am connected to my network via my laptop and in the laptops docking station. I know my Treo using Active Exchange would not sync my calendar and e-mail when I did a hotsync but it seems that WM5 is suppose to when I am connected via USB. Any help in this would be appreciated.
    Can't say I know that one. Mine seems to sync okay whether USB or not. Might to a search over in HoFo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Can't say I know that one. Mine seems to sync okay whether USB or not. Might to a search over in HoFo.
    Will do....Also....are you able to create e-mail distribution lists? I have been trying to figure that one out and am stumped.
    Selling off my PSP and accessories to get me a Cingular 8125
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=107573
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Will do....Also....are you able to create e-mail distribution lists? I have been trying to figure that one out and am stumped.
    Only distribution lists I use were created in Outlook on the desktop. Sorry again.
    $750 with one day to go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cingular-8125-Po...QQcmdZViewItem

It can't possibly be worth that much to a reasonable person [can it]?

I was interested in checking this phone out, but at these prices, I'll wait awhile.
    Last edited by Jazzi; 02/20/2006 at 02:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    $750 with one day to go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cingular-8125-Po...QQcmdZViewItem

It can't possibly be worth that much to a reasonable person [can it]?

I was interested in checking this phone out, but at these prices, I'll wait awhile.

$750!!! That's ridiculous! I think you buy it retail from Cingular w/ no contract for $450. Mine ended up being $299 w/ 2yr contract. It's a great handheld but don't pay $750 for it!
    phattysalz is right - a typical eBay run up. There are always good deals on eBay, but also an equal number of buyers who are too dumb to look up retail pricing. $450 retail, without contract, or $299 (after rebates, 2-yr contract, and data plan) should be tops. Maybe I'll go sell mine and pocket $300 after replacing it.
    so is it def $450 retail?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    My local store "didn't have one yet" but their price sheet showed $449 without contract.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I've asked two retail stores and both have said it's $449 to buy it outright.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    What size headphone/earpiece jack does this thing have? Does it have just one jack, or does it have separate ones for stereo and phone? Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it. It doesn't specify on the Cingular site. Thanks.

1 jack on the bottom by the USB port. The device comes with stereo headphones w/ inline mic.
    Sorry, the size is same as Treo - 2.5mm
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast