Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 173
  1. tut00's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #121  
    I also agree with you guys. I have owned a palm since they were made by US Robotics, and have loved them ever synce. I did leave them breifly early last year to use a PPC, and i have to say it was a pleasant experience. The only reason I got the treo, was I was tired of carrying two devices. Now that there are finally some good PPC phones out there and Palm not looking like they are really doing any more inovating, I feel that I might as well make the switch.

    I think in time, most of us will have made the switch. Its a shame, becuase the POS can be a beutiful thing... But come on now, we live in a multi-tasking world. I have to be able to do more than one thing at a time. You have to be willing to give the consumer a compeling reason to stay with you. No wifi? Old bluetooth stack. Get with it already!!

    Sorry for the long rant.

    I can't wait for my new phone to arive. Will have it by tuesday.

    -John
  2. #122  
    so when are these supposed to be in stores? i stopped in a store today and they didnt even have a dummy unit and they had no clue when they would have a working model.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  3. #123  
    I just got mine and is is syncing right now. I have a question for anyone who has one. On the today screen in the upper left hand corner is the Windows logo and the Start text. Is there anyway to navigate to the programs via Start without having to use the stylus or extending the keyboard and hitting the Windows button?
  4. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #124  
    CP - I suspect they are doing all they can to fill web based and b2b orders at the moment. Lots of folks over on hofo are getting backordered. They will also have to have enough of a knowledge base at the retail level to help consumers anwser basic function questions once they hit shelves. That, in itself, is a tall order. If they got a bazillion of these things right off the bat, imagine how flooded the CS lines would be for weeks on end with basic questions! This is annoying as consumers, but not nearly as annoying as having to wait on hold for an hour to ask how to do a reset or install a 3rd party app - and it'll happen! Just think, if we didn't have the 'net or forums like this, we wouldn't know this thing existed yet. Wait, without that sort of stuff we probably wouldn't need the silly thing, anyway! I'd give it another 2-3 weeks before stores have them en masse (being liberal - maybe sooner). I've got three different stores that are supposed to call as soon as one arrives...

  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    CP - I suspect they are doing all they can to fill web based and b2b orders at the moment. Lots of folks over on hofo are getting backordered. They will also have to have enough of a knowledge base at the retail level to help consumers anwser basic function questions once they hit shelves. That, in itself, is a tall order. If they got a bazillion of these things right off the bat, imagine how flooded the CS lines would be for weeks on end with basic questions! This is annoying as consumers, but not nearly as annoying as having to wait on hold for an hour to ask how to do a reset or install a 3rd party app - and it'll happen! Just think, if we didn't have the 'net or forums like this, we wouldn't know this thing existed yet. Wait, without that sort of stuff we probably wouldn't need the silly thing, anyway! I'd give it another 2-3 weeks before stores have them en masse (being liberal - maybe sooner). I've got three different stores that are supposed to call as soon as one arrives...

    makes sense, due to my financial situation right now i cant buy one anyway, but id like to get my hands on one to know if its something worth looking forward to picking up.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Wow, more old-timers abandoning the Palm OS. I wonder how many of you will be back. I tried out the Sprint PPC-6700 for two weeks and ended up switching back to the Treo 650. But with the leak of the Treo 700p which looks to be a little ways off and have pretty much the same lame browser and Access/PalmSource's way-off announcement of a new version of the OS (which licensees may not even be interested in), I think that I'll eventually have to switch to a WM5 device.

    FWIW, the PPC-6700 was problematic for me primarily because of the poor one-handed usage. I'm talking about wanting to quickly look up my wife's phone number while in the car or discreetly checking email or surfing the web. The slow time to rotate the screen (every time you slide open the keyboard and every time you close it) was highly annoying as well. The poor WM5 compatibility with most apps didn't help, either (though I knew that would improve with time).

    Ah well. Sorry for the fairly useless post.
    I may be looking at the HP 6900 for that very reason(perfect alternative to the 700w). Although I'm still interested in the Wizard. We will see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #127  
    txschafers, you should have a hard button with the Windows symbol on the front of the device (when closed), no? You push that and it will drop-down the Start menu.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  8. #128  
    Oops. I guess I was wrong. The PPC-6700 has a Windows and an OK key on the front of the device (in addition to having them within the keyboard). It looks like the 8125 doesn't have that but, instead, has two hard buttons for two applications (one for the web browser and one for something else). You may be able to remap those two buttons if you so desire.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I just got mine and is is syncing right now. I have a question for anyone who has one. On the today screen in the upper left hand corner is the Windows logo and the Start text. Is there anyway to navigate to the programs via Start without having to use the stylus or extending the keyboard and hitting the Windows button?
    Two solutions:

    1. you can download a program to your 8125 called smartskey.exe (if you can't find it, PM me). It converts the two softkeys so a press and hold on the left key opens the start menu, and press and hold on the right key executes the OK/Close function. Regular taps of these keys remain the same. Only downside is if you do a soft reset you'll have to restart the program.

    2. remap the Message and PIE buttons at the top to do these functions.

    I really prefer choice 1 as it make the operation one-handed.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Wow, more old-timers abandoning the Palm OS. I wonder how many of you will be back. I tried out the Sprint PPC-6700 for two weeks and ended up switching back to the Treo 650. But with the leak of the Treo 700p which looks to be a little ways off and have pretty much the same lame browser and Access/PalmSource's way-off announcement of a new version of the OS (which licensees may not even be interested in), I think that I'll eventually have to switch to a WM5 device.

    FWIW, the PPC-6700 was problematic for me primarily because of the poor one-handed usage. I'm talking about wanting to quickly look up my wife's phone number while in the car or discreetly checking email or surfing the web. The slow time to rotate the screen (every time you slide open the keyboard and every time you close it) was highly annoying as well. The poor WM5 compatibility with most apps didn't help, either (though I knew that would improve with time).

    Ah well. Sorry for the fairly useless post.
    It truly is sad. As I noted earlier, I started with that first USR Palm Pilot, and even had the very first wireless handheld (a Palm Pilot Pro upgraded with a Motorola two-way pager card). I'm betting the "Hollywood" is a WM5 device, and we are about to see the last of the line of real Palm OS smartphones, if and when the release the 700p (good luck Perry).

    I've had the 8125 up and running for 5 days now, and it is a gem. Not a single reset nor dropped/garbled call (knocking on wood) and that was not my experience with the 650. I am convinced that Garnet IS TOO ANEMIC to juggle the hardware necessary for a good smartphone experience.

    I never thought I'd see the day that Windows Mobile would be more stable than Palm OS - and now with the 700w, I'm reminded of the immortal words of Bill Murry (Dr. Peter Venkman):

    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

    I never thought I'd see the day that Windows Mobile would be more stable than Palm OS - and now with the 700w, I'm reminded of the immortal words of Bill Murry (Dr. Peter Venkman):

    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!
    WM has been stable for quite some time in my experience. My nearly 3 year old Toshiba e755 has NEVER spontaneously reset itself as my 650 has been known to do. And I can't remember the last time I've had to do a forced reset. (I will do a soft reset before doing backups, etc, but I can't remember the last time I've had to soft reset my device because of a hang.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It truly is sad. As I noted earlier, I started with that first USR Palm Pilot, and even had the very first wireless handheld (a Palm Pilot Pro upgraded with a Motorola two-way pager card). I'm betting the "Hollywood" is a WM5 device, and we are about to see the last of the line of real Palm OS smartphones, if and when the release the 700p (good luck Perry).

    I've had the 8125 up and running for 5 days now, and it is a gem. Not a single reset nor dropped/garbled call (knocking on wood) and that was not my experience with the 650. I am convinced that Garnet IS TOO ANEMIC to juggle the hardware necessary for a good smartphone experience.

    I never thought I'd see the day that Windows Mobile would be more stable than Palm OS - and now with the 700w, I'm reminded of the immortal words of Bill Murry (Dr. Peter Venkman):

    Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!

    compared to treeo 650 -

    1. How's the one handed operation?
    2. How's the memory management?
    3. How's the email?
    4. Do you think this device is comparable in features and function to the 650?

    Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  13. #133  
    The Cingular 8125 whsould be in stores the week of february the 20th. I cannot wait to get my hands on mine. I have been waiting since october for this to come out.
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I just got mine and is is syncing right now. I have a question for anyone who has one. On the today screen in the upper left hand corner is the Windows logo and the Start text. Is there anyway to navigate to the programs via Start without having to use the stylus or extending the keyboard and hitting the Windows button?
    You should be able to go to Start > Settings > Personal tab > Buttons to see current assignments and options under the Program Butons tab. This may be sufficient for you.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Two solutions:

    1. you can download a program to your 8125 called smartskey.exe (if you can't find it, PM me). It converts the two softkeys so a press and hold on the left key opens the start menu, and press and hold on the right key executes the OK/Close function. Regular taps of these keys remain the same. Only downside is if you do a soft reset you'll have to restart the program.

    2. remap the Message and PIE buttons at the top to do these functions.

    I really prefer choice 1 as it make the operation one-handed.
    Thanks!! I'll look for it and get back with you if I cannot find it. I have another question but thnk I know the answer. Is there anyway to enable network time like on the Treo? I cannot find anything that will link up the time and date with the network.
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    compared to treeo 650 -

    1. How's the one handed operation?
    2. How's the memory management?
    3. How's the email?
    4. Do you think this device is comparable in features and function to the 650?

    Thanks!
    One handed is ok but to type you need to extend the keyboard. the Treo I think has the advantage here. However, the keyboard is VERY easy to use and I love the bigger keys since I have large bumbling fingers.

    No problems with the memory.

    E-mail is GREAT!! I have it pulling it down every 5 minutes and I can easily send e-mails. A very Outlook interface. Also I love being aboe to not only accept and send meetings but invite people to events. This is something the Treo 650 cannot do. Also, being able to easily e-mail, text, call someone from their contact info is fantastic!!

    The jury is still out on question four. In many ways I like this device much more then my Treo. It is VERY stable. However, the ability to do almost anyting one handed is huge fro the Treo. I will probably keep this phone but if a WM5 Treo for GSM is launched the mid to end of summer I will be making another purchase I'm sure.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    One handed is ok but to type you need to extend the keyboard. the Treo I think has the advantage here. However, the keyboard is VERY easy to use and I love the bigger keys since I have large bumbling fingers.

    No problems with the memory.

    E-mail is GREAT!! I have it pulling it down every 5 minutes and I can easily send e-mails. A very Outlook interface. Also I love being aboe to not only accept and send meetings but invite people to events. This is something the Treo 650 cannot do. Also, being able to easily e-mail, text, call someone from their contact info is fantastic!!

    The jury is still out on question four. In many ways I like this device much more then my Treo. It is VERY stable. However, the ability to do almost anyting one handed is huge fro the Treo. I will probably keep this phone but if a WM5 Treo for GSM is launched the mid to end of summer I will be making another purchase I'm sure.

    great, any AIM apps that use Data and not SMS? I placed my order on mine today and hopefully i'll have it sometime next week.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Thanks!! I'll look for it and get back with you if I cannot find it. I have another question but thnk I know the answer. Is there anyway to enable network time like on the Treo? I cannot find anything that will link up the time and date with the network.
    Haven't found network time, but to tell you the truth I haven't tried hard because that always caused glitches on my Treo 650. There's a separate thread and FAQ over on HoFo about getting WiFi working, and now it is a dream. At home, I can use EDGE, but then turn on the WiFi radio and it automatically switches PIE to the faster connection. EDGE is no slouch (125-140kbs around here; that was ISDN territory just a few years ago), but kicks when the WiFi switches on (750-900kbs on a 1.5mb dsl - pretty good for a 200mhz processor). Then you turn off the WiFi and it automatically goes back to EDGE. Too cool.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Haven't found network time, but to tell you the truth I haven't tried hard because that always caused glitches on my Treo 650. There's a separate thread and FAQ over on HoFo about getting WiFi working, and now it is a dream. At home, I can use EDGE, but then turn on the WiFi radio and it automatically switches PIE to the faster connection. EDGE is no slouch (125-140kbs around here; that was ISDN territory just a few years ago), but kicks when the WiFi switches on (750-900kbs on a 1.5mb dsl - pretty good for a 200mhz processor). Then you turn off the WiFi and it automatically goes back to EDGE. Too cool.
    I cannot find startskey.exe...can you post a link?
  20. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I cannot find startskey.exe...can you post a link?
    Here you go. It's in the Wizard forum on the xda developers site:

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0
    Jeff
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions