Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 173
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    There are also overclocking apps available that pump up the speed. I'm just waiting to get one of these things in hand at a Cingular store. I'm going to compare this and the 6515, and get the one that performs AND feels best. I'm leaning strongly toward the 8125 because of ergonomics and the newer OS.
    Can you post any links to the overclocking apps you were talking about?
  2. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #102  
    I posted one early in this thread. I did a google search for omap overclock and came up with the link. I'm on my Treo right now, or I'd pull it up again.

    Meanwhile, I just left a Cingular store that just got their "dummy" model. Ergonomically, I LOVE IT! As big a fan as I have always been for the Treo's form factor, I REALLY like the way this thing feels and it's layout. I also confirmed the retail purchase price of $449. I can't upgrade until June, so I think I'll be buying one as soon as I can play with an operational unit. I have to say, it felt better in hand than I expected.

    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I just ordered the 8125 through my office. i'm transferring my personal # to the corporate line. It should take a few weeks.

    Question: Does the 8125 have a backlit keyboard? (I kind of like that feature of my Treo).
    It does, but it is a little frustrating because it times out quickly (10 seconds?) and I haven't found a working hack yet to stay on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    people here are complaining about the speed of the 8125. does the lagging have anything to do with more applications running on the device or the abilty to run more than one application at a time?
    I think what Lady Treo is referring to is a dual core processor - I seem to remember reading that the Wizard's all have those. I don't think the speed is bad at all - I've had 6-8 programs open at once (granted, most are stock, not installations of my own) and no real lagging. It does slow down at times, but nothing near "hair ripping" if you know what I mean.

    I think the "slow" processor thing is way overblown. Will it put a man on the moon - NO - but for most things (other than Skype and high level gaming) it shouldn't hold you back.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5. #105  
    Maybe I've missed it, but has anyone overclocked and been able to use Skype?
  6. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #106  
    On hofo they were talking about overckocking in the 265 range and Skype being usable.
  7. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    hehehe - I've already downloaded an app to overclock the 200mhz OMAP! Maybe I'll get an 8125 to load it onto in the near future People on Howard are running it pretty well at 240mhz so far without issues and seem to think it makes a pretty significant difference.

    here is a download link if anyone is interested -
    ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com...Clock_v0.2.zip

    here is a link to the discussion -
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=840086

    fingers crossed!


    Here is the post with the overclock links...
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    On hofo they were talking about overckocking in the 265 range and Skype being usable.
    Nice. Thanks for the info. I am easing even closer to this device with all the bits of info since its release. Hopefully the T-Mobile MDA is just as promising.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Here is the post with the overclock links...
    I am getting my phone tomorrow. Is there anything in advance that I need to know about installing the overclocking program? Does it simply load on the device and then you configure the amount of overclocking from the 8125? I have never overclocked a device before so sorry if this is a stupid question.
  10. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #110  
    You need to go to the software site and read up on it. I'm still at least a few weeks from getting an 8125, so I'm no where near that far along! There are several messages in that hofo thread about the overclocking software and how it works, etc.

  11. #111  
    Wow, more old-timers abandoning the Palm OS. I wonder how many of you will be back. I tried out the Sprint PPC-6700 for two weeks and ended up switching back to the Treo 650. But with the leak of the Treo 700p which looks to be a little ways off and have pretty much the same lame browser and Access/PalmSource's way-off announcement of a new version of the OS (which licensees may not even be interested in), I think that I'll eventually have to switch to a WM5 device.

    FWIW, the PPC-6700 was problematic for me primarily because of the poor one-handed usage. I'm talking about wanting to quickly look up my wife's phone number while in the car or discreetly checking email or surfing the web. The slow time to rotate the screen (every time you slide open the keyboard and every time you close it) was highly annoying as well. The poor WM5 compatibility with most apps didn't help, either (though I knew that would improve with time).

    Ah well. Sorry for the fairly useless post.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  12. #112  
    Does anyone know the maximum capacity miniSD card this will handle? I'm assuming the 2GB card I'm about to buy will be O.K. I know the Treos handled 2GB no problem but couldn't go over that. Not that I've seen any 4 GB miniSD cards out yet, but would be good to know for the future. Thanks.
  13. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #113  
    I'll miss one handed use. The thing is, the 600 was my first POS tool. I got used to it and loved it. I had very few issues with it. As soon as I started hearing rumors about the incredible screen that would be available on the 650 (and Bluetooth and the likelihood of WiFi), I was ready to dive even deeper. Since getting one of the first GSM 650s in my area, I have had problem after problem - not 3rd party software stuff, mind you - just stuff like freezes, random resets, the normal complaints. I'm on my fourth one since April. A few issues have gotten better since the 1.17 fw update, but now Blazer access has slowed to a mind numbing crawl. I'm ready to leave Palm. Will I be back? I've always been a loyal customer where loyalty was warranted. I don't feel like Palm has earned my loyalty. I may try a Palm device again in the future, but it'll take another mold breaking product like the 600 was to get me back. It LOOKS as though the 8125 may offer all the stuff that I was looking for with the 650, albeit with a few compromises. After holding the "dummy" today, I am even more convinced this will be a good transition for me - at least ergonomically. We'll see in the coming weeks if people are still singing praises for the 8125...

  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Wow, more old-timers abandoning the Palm OS. I wonder how many of you will be back. I tried out the Sprint PPC-6700 for two weeks and ended up switching back to the Treo 650. But with the leak of the Treo 700p which looks to be a little ways off and have pretty much the same lame browser and Access/PalmSource's way-off announcement of a new version of the OS (which licensees may not even be interested in), I think that I'll eventually have to switch to a WM5 device.

    FWIW, the PPC-6700 was problematic for me primarily because of the poor one-handed usage. I'm talking about wanting to quickly look up my wife's phone number while in the car or discreetly checking email or surfing the web. The slow time to rotate the screen (every time you slide open the keyboard and every time you close it) was highly annoying as well. The poor WM5 compatibility with most apps didn't help, either (though I knew that would improve with time).

    Ah well. Sorry for the fairly useless post.
    I have been a Palm user since I had an old Vx. Part of the reason I never warmed up to a BB was becuase of the no touch screen and the total difference in navigation. ( 8700c was the closest I have been to becoming a BB convert )
    However, I think it is Palm that is kind of abandoning us. I love my Treo 650 but I would be lieing if I said it was not buggy....usable but buggy. Going to WM5 IMO is not as big a leap as going to a no touch screen jog dial BB. I may be back to Palm but the mere fact that so many of us are willing to look at other non-Palm devices tells me that Palm is losing ground that the new entrants are gobbling up quickly.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    On hofo they were talking about overckocking in the 265 range and Skype being usable.
    It's possible, though we may all have different expectations for "usable". Skype itself says 312 mhz is the minimum requirement; that may be what it takes for it to work well.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  16. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #116  
    Keep in mind this is a brand new device, and people are just getting their hands on a few. Skype will suggest a processor speed a little on the high side to give the product a little padding, and I suspect using it in the 265mhz range is probably pushing it a little. I'm not a Skype user, myself - so this is not an issue for me. I only quoted what I read elsewhere by an unknown source who claims to have tried it. How was that for a broad disclaimer?
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Does anyone know the maximum capacity miniSD card this will handle? I'm assuming the 2GB card I'm about to buy will be O.K. I know the Treos handled 2GB no problem but couldn't go over that. Not that I've seen any 4GB miniSD cards out yet, but would be good to know for the future. Thanks.
    I can answer this for how it works in photography. Look for the FAT or file allocation table spec to see whether it's FAT 16 or FAT 32 (32 bit). FAT 16 is the one that is limited to 2GB. BTW, in the case of compact flash, Sandisk made a switchable 4 GB card that allowed FAT 16 devices to read the card as two 2GB volumes. I'd guess that newer phones like newer cameras are going to be FAT 32; otherwise a switchable mini SD might be developed.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I can answer this for how it works in photography. Look for the FAT or file allocation table spec to see whether it's FAT 16 or FAT 32 (32 bit). FAT 16 is the one that is limited to 2GB. BTW, in the case of compact flash, Sandisk made a switchable 4 GB card that allowed FAT 16 devices to read the card as two 2GB volumes. I'd guess that newer phones like newer cameras are going to be FAT 32; otherwise a switchable mini SD might be developed.
    Thank you Rodolofo. I use a 2GB SD card with my Treo and that is a good amount. It fits a sufficient amount music/videos/documents. More memory is always better but 2GB should be fine.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Wow, more old-timers abandoning the Palm OS. I wonder how many of you will be back. I tried out the Sprint PPC-6700 for two weeks and ended up switching back to the Treo 650. But with the leak of the Treo 700p which looks to be a little ways off and have pretty much the same lame browser and Access/PalmSource's way-off announcement of a new version of the OS (which licensees may not even be interested in), I think that I'll eventually have to switch to a WM5 device.

    FWIW, the PPC-6700 was problematic for me primarily because of the poor one-handed usage. I'm talking about wanting to quickly look up my wife's phone number while in the car or discreetly checking email or surfing the web. The slow time to rotate the screen (every time you slide open the keyboard and every time you close it) was highly annoying as well. The poor WM5 compatibility with most apps didn't help, either (though I knew that would improve with time).

    Ah well. Sorry for the fairly useless post.

    Palm can only get away with the amazing form factor for a while before people will decide to give it up for a handheld that has more features. I never upgraded from my treo 600 to the 650 mainly because I think they could have done much more with it (memory, wifi?, better BT). I think if I wait for the next GSM Treo, I will once again be disappointed. I think a lot of people are switching because they are tired of the trade-offs associated with having the nice one-handed use.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Palm can only get away with the amazing form factor for a while before people will decide to give it up for a handheld that has more features. I never upgraded from my treo 600 to the 650 mainly because I think they could have done much more with it (memory, wifi?, better BT). I think if I wait for the next GSM Treo, I will once again be disappointed. I think a lot of people are switching because they are tired of the trade-offs associated with having the nice one-handed use.
    I agree...I was also going to hold out for the new GSM Treo but after reading the reviews and actually handling one at a Verizon store, I do not think it is all that compelling an update to make the move from my 650. As buggy as my Treo can be at times, I do love it but it says a lot for the Palm OS when people like me that have had Palm devices all the way back to the Vx are looking to jump to a different OS.

Posting Permissions