Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Yeah, HTC only makes Palm OS phones(Treos) for Palm. No one else is interested in the Palm OS as of now.

Hey if they made the K-Jam with Cobalt, that'd be cool, but it won't happen!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    First 30 minutes impression:

> I know there has been a lot of talk about "sluggishness" and no new software added in yet, but when opening and closing the keyboard the screen orientation switch is almost instantaneous.

> A little thicker than I'd hoped, but manageable. Otherwise a very small device.

> Booted up first thing from my existing Sim card

> PIE is much peppier than my 2125, although dslreports shows same speed as 2125

> Screen is great, but again, pretty small fonts for old eyes (still, better than 2125)

> Keyboard is great to type on, much better than the Treo 650, but the color scheme is bad for old eyes (keep having to tip it to see where everything is).

> Incoming sound quality of call is good - no complaints from the other end.
    They should have an option for large fonts on WM5, I saw it on my iPAQ. Under "screen".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    They should have an option for large fonts on WM5, I saw it on my iPAQ. Under "screen".
    Found it - thanks - much better for the "old eyes" generation. Also, the lettering on the keyboards is tough, until you realize there is method to the white/red lettering madness. Tilt the top of the screen slightly towards you, and the letter keys are sharp and clear; tilt it slightly away and all the special red "symbol" keys do likewise.

SO far, very impressed with this phone. Although it's a little thicker than I'd like (of course, we all want a Razr format WM5 device with thumb board), it's still very pocketable, and the overall form factor is smaller (lengthxwidth) than even my HP 4155. The keyboard is sturdy and MUCH easier for typing than the Treo 650 in my experience. The keys themselves are responsive and big enough for large thumbs.

One-handed operation is not as good (needs a speed dial screen overlay that pops up when you first push the phone button), but I never really thought the Treo was that great to begin with. Besides, barreling down the street at 45 mph and trying to dial your phone is a little insane anyway (the MS voice tags work as a great substitute).

It's great to have a touch screen and keyboard back (although, the 2125 is a good candybar style phone that really looks like a phone). Only drawback so far has been trying to connect to my WiFi network. The 8125 can see it, but no connection. We'll work on that this weekend.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Just ordered mine through my purchasing department.....should have it tomorrow or Thursday. Will post reviews as soon as I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Just ordered mine through my purchasing department.....should have it tomorrow or Thursday. Will post reviews as soon as I get it.
    Welcome to the growing crowd. I'm afraid the tide is swiftly turning against POS and in favor of WM5 OS smartphones.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Welcome to the growing crowd. I'm afraid the tide is swiftly turning against POS and in favor of WM5 OS smartphones.
    I think you are right. I love my Treo and even though this is the most satble of the "15" I have had ( VERY long story ) it still has it's issues at times. I was going to hold out for a GSM Treo 700W but this phone looks very promising. Also, from reading some of the 700W Verizon posts it does not seem like everyone is convinced it is a great Treo version.

I have two Treo 650's rigtht now and if the 8125 works I am probably going to sell one on ebay and keep the other as a fallback.
    I think you are right. I love my Treo and even though this is the most satble of the "15" I have had ( VERY long story ) it still has it's issues at times. I was going to hold out for a GSM Treo 700W but this phone looks very promising. Also, from reading some of the 700W Verizon posts it does not seem like everyone is convinced it is a great Treo version.

I have two Treo 650's rigtht now and if the 8125 works I am probably going to sell one on ebay and keep the other as a fallback.
    i was thinking about holding out for the 700w for gsm but it seems that it is about a half a year away anyways. after playing with the hp and the k jam, i am looking forward to switching becasue of two reasons:
    1) OS
    2) larger screen
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    My main concern when I saw the phone was the sliding keyboard. It does seem easier to use when typing but I was concerned about the one handed aspect of using the phone like I can my Treo. Unfortunatly or fortunatly depending on how you look at it...this will probably keep me from driving down the road responding to my e-mails like I do with my Treo. For the driving public, my purchase of this phone might be the best thing to happen to Texas roads in the last 5 years!
    i think im in love with this thing. and i could prolly get away with selling the 650 on ebay for at least 300, leaving my 50 bucks or less to pay out for the 8125..hmm
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"

2 Treos! I'm curious, do you sync them using the same name to the same computer or? (I'm in a similar situation right now...)
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I was one of those people that thought I'd never go to WM because I do like PalmOS. But now I have ordered the 8125 and am very excited about trying it out. I left this morning for business and it turns out the phone arrived at home today. If it only came a day earlier I could have messed around with it on the long flight! It sounds like people are enjoying this phone quite a bit.
    ...this will probably keep me from driving down the road responding to my e-mails like I do with my Treo.
    Tex, don't fret: It's probably your personality more than the Treo capability that has driven your suicidal-homicidal email behavior. After a couple of weeks of dedicated practice, you should be able to master the 8125 two-handed-touch-type-left-leghold-on-steering-wheel system. The Texas advantage will be that you should be able to type twice as fast!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    2 Treos! I'm curious, do you sync them using the same name to the same computer or? (I'm in a similar situation right now...)
    Actually one was a refurb that came with a very small scratch on the silver part of the phone that surrounds the screen. The phone worked flawlessly but I was upset that as much as I paid I was getting a scratched replacement. Cingular sent me a brand new one in the box and did not want the refurb back. I may sell it if the 8125 works well and my wife does not want the Treo. Both are unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Tex, don't fret: It's probably your personality more than the Treo capability that has driven your suicidal-homicidal email behavior. After a couple of weeks of dedicated practice, you should be able to master the 8125 two-handed-touch-type-left-leghold-on-steering-wheel system. The Texas advantage will be that you should be able to type twice as fast!
    ROFLOL!!!
    I just ordered the 8125 through my office. i'm transferring my personal # to the corporate line. It should take a few weeks.

Question: Does the 8125 have a backlit keyboard? (I kind of like that feature of my Treo).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I just ordered the 8125 through my office. i'm transferring my personal # to the corporate line. It should take a few weeks.

Question: Does the 8125 have a backlit keyboard? (I kind of like that feature of my Treo).
    From the reviews I have read it does. This is a great review on the phone with a lot of pictures: http://www.mobilitysite.com/articles/link.php?id=320
    Last edited by txschafers; 02/15/2006 at 10:45 PM.
    people here are complaining about the speed of the 8125. does the lagging have anything to do with more applications running on the device or the abilty to run more than one application at a time?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Two things about speed. First, HTC only put in a 200MHZ processor, not sure why. I think there's supposed to be something special about the brand they used, but I'm not sure. Something about it being the equivalent of a faster processor, don't quote me on it though. Second, WM5 is kind of slow to begin with.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    There are also overclocking apps available that pump up the speed. I'm just waiting to get one of these things in hand at a Cingular store. I'm going to compare this and the 6515, and get the one that performs AND feels best. I'm leaning strongly toward the 8125 because of ergonomics and the newer OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Two things about speed. First, HTC only put in a 200MHZ processor, not sure why.
    From everything that I've read, the slower processor was to improve battery life. most of the reviews seem to give it positive marks on battery life, but the slower processor is the trade-off.

-Q