Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Then unlocking info was removed from the post. But I asked the poster to send me the instructions. So I have them. PM me if you need the instructions to unlock the 8125. When I get a chance I may post them on my web site.
    taylorh....just PM'd you for the unlocking instructions
    Why does the Microsoft site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...e;americas;239

say it has 640x480 res?

Also, does anyone know what BT profiles it has?

I still have a Treo 600 so I'm curious at how slow this device really is in comparison to the 600.

Links to reviews if anyone has them. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    So what are you looking to get for the 2125?

Also, were you able to find a case for it? I can't find a suitable one anywhere except maybe one place.
    I've never used cases with any of my phones or PDA's - only a screen protector and an empty pocket (front). Right now I'm thinking over your suggestion of keeping the 2125 for light duty or spare.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Interesting that you and Lady Treo like the T-Mobile MDA's looks better. I actually like the "boxier" look and darker color of the Cingular 8125. I've been looking at a lot of other handhelds, but looks like I'll have to get one of these since some of the others are slated for a European release only and I won't be able to afford them without U.S. carrier support. 8125 here I come! (maybe )
    The MDA/Qtek/i-Mate design, with its rounded corners, give you the illusion of a smaller device (much like the rounding on the Treo does the same thing). It's not just for hand fit that the Treo is slightly narrower and rounded front to back on the edges - again adds to the "look" that it is actually smaller than it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The MDA/Qtek/i-Mate design, with its rounded corners, give you the illusion of a smaller device (much like the rounding on the Treo does the same thing). It's not just for hand fit that the Treo is slightly narrower and rounded front to back on the edges - again adds to the "look" that it is actually smaller than it is.
    Yeah, I'm warming up to the rounded edges based on exactly what you are talking about - smaller look. I definitely wish the MDA was a darker color though now that I think I'll be sticking with T-Mobile since their phone and data rates seems a bit cheaper. Compromises, compromises...
    Yeah, I'm warming up to the rounded edges based on exactly what you are talking about - smaller look. I definitely wish the MDA was a darker color though now that I think I'll be sticking with T-Mobile since their phone and data rates seems a bit cheaper. Compromises, compromises...
    Here's a pretty good review with pics of both:

http://www.mobilitysite.com/articles/link.php?id=320

However, since I can't beat the price on the 8125 ($299 after rebate with second year extension on my contract) I can't complain. It will have to do until I can get a razr thin flip phone with a WM5 touch screen, WiFi, real 3g (whatever GSM flavor), and regular phone pad - THEN I be closeto heaven.
    Thanks for that review - seeing them side-by-side made me want the Cingular model even more
    Thanks for that review - seeing them side-by-side made me want the Cingular model even more
    I think I'm going to "like" it even more considering I'm saving $330 over a Qtek and $430 over a k-Jam.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 02/14/2006 at 09:11 AM.
    Great review.....I assume that the 8125 with Activesync will allow me to wireless sync my corporate e-mail, contacts, calendar and such right? I currently use my OWA settings to sync calendar and e-mial with Activesync on my Treo 650. Is the same true with WM5?
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Great review.....I assume that the 8125 with Activesync will allow me to wireless sync my corporate e-mail, contacts, calendar and such right? I currently use my OWA settings to sync calendar and e-mial with Activesync on my Treo 650. Is the same true with WM5?
    Anyone?!
    txschfers - I would hope that this would be true w/ WM5 but I don't know for sure - I'm new to WM5 - sorry I can't be more help.

On a side note - I ordered the 8125. It will be a learning experience and I have 30 days to test it out. Hopefully I like it because it is a great deal for $299 with all those features. Anyone know of good forums like treo central that are dedicated to WM other than the WM sections of TreoCentral? I'm sure I'll be looking for some great "getting started" tips when I eventually have the 8125 in my hands. I keep my treo 600 very stable and clean with utilities like Uninstall, Cleanup, PalmInternals, Backup, etc... I'm lost when it comes to WM and don't even know if such programs exist for it??? Good software sites? Thanks in advance.
    Assuming it can do wireless Activesync like the 2125 I have (a pretty safe bet) then the answer is yes. Mine won't be here until today to confirm. I never got OWA to sync my email right more than once or twice on my old Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    txschfers - I would hope that this would be true w/ WM5 but I don't know for sure - I'm new to WM5 - sorry I can't be more help.

On a side note - I ordered the 8125. It will be a learning experience and I have 30 days to test it out. Hopefully I like it because it is a great deal for $299 with all those features. Anyone know of good forums like treo central that are dedicated to WM other than the WM sections of TreoCentral? I'm sure I'll be looking for some great "getting started" tips when I eventually have the 8125 in my hands. I keep my treo 600 very stable and clean with utilities like Uninstall, Cleanup, PalmInternals, Backup, etc... I'm lost when it comes to WM and don't even know if such programs exist for it??? Good software sites? Thanks in advance.
    TreoCentral has been great to me, so I hate to recommend any others, but howardsforum has a lot of PPC and WM5 related threads for newbies and advanced users alike.
    Assuming it can do wireless Activesync like the 2125 I have (a pretty safe bet) then the answer is yes. Mine won't be here until today to confirm. I never got OWA to sync my email right more than once or twice on my old Treo 650
    Thanks.....I am ordering mine hopefully tomorrow through or corporate purchasing. I get the same 30 day look but do not have to pay for the phone until the 30 days is up.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Just wanted to give you guys my initial impression of the device. However, some caveat before I speak - 1.) I am not an overtly techy genius 2.) I am your average consumer whose eyes light up when they see a new toy 3.) I have no brand loyalty to Windows or Palm OS 4.) As much as I want the latest and greatest, it has to be simple and easy to use.

I got the 8125 last Thursday and immediately began powering it up. With regards to overall size, the unit has a good feel and feels compact. In the belt holster, despite it being thicker than the Treo 650, I find it easier to carry. It is not as heavy and the lack of antenna is a good thing (and you will see later, a bad thing). The keyboard has a good locking feel to it but when using it as a phone, I do feel a little give and have to "click" it back into place.

Going from a small keyboard on the Treo 650 to a wider keyboard on the 8125 is weird. The best way I can describe it is that it is like going from a regular keyboard to one of those natural keyboards where there is a large split down the middle. Your landscape is wider and all of sudden you feel like an computer typing amateur again. I am used to KeyCaps on the Treo and must say that I did not like the way Windows incorporates the shift and symbol key. You also have to make changes to registry to display the indicator of the symbol and Shift key. I do like the OK buttom and Windows button being included on the keyboard like I am used to on a regular keyboard.

Reception is hit or miss. I am not sure if it is just my unit. However, when I take the unit out of the belt case, the signal indicator has no bars. After 5 seconds out of the holster, the bars pop up instantly. I am aware of the fact that signal indicators are a poor judge of actual signal quality but it is worrisome to think that you may not have a signal when placed in the belt case. I spoke to my brother last night and he said that I sounded muffled and was cutting in and out. Not sure if it is the phone or Cingular's signal at rush hour time. I will have my wife use it tonight so I can hear the quality.

Like I said, I am not an overtly techical person and talks of benchmarks make my head spin. I just want to know if it is fast. Compared to the Treo 650, the 8125 is definitely not as snappy or zippy. Pressing on the Start menu will give you a bit of a lag. I also noticed some lag when I opened up the settings and tried to tab over to a different tab. I am talking about a 4 or 5 second lag. It does not sound like much but you will notice it. What really bothers me is that I am using my fingers at times to hit the touch screen. I eventually get into this mode where I ask myself, is it opening or did I not hit it correctly? Then 3 seconds later, whatever I am choosing opens up.

Microsoft Voice Command is great although I have not used it much. You have to change the registry in order to make it work properly with a headset. I lost my Sony Ericsson HBH-660 so I tested it with a Moto 810. There were times where I felt like a dork because the mic is not that great. I am reserving all comments about the 8125's voice command feature until I get a decent headset.

Camera sucks. Don't need to elaborate. Just sucks.

Just like the Treo 650, there are things that you will need to do and 3rd party programs that you will need to purchase in order make the 8125 work the way you want it to.

Another little quirk, for me, is the ringer. I just don't feel that it is loud enough and full enough. I am using the Cingular default ring tone and it could be the ringtone that is not loud enough. I will have to try it with a different ringtone and maybe one with a higher gain.

Any questions or thoughts, fire away.
    First 30 minutes impression:

> I know there has been a lot of talk about "sluggishness" and no new software added in yet, but when opening and closing the keyboard the screen orientation switch is almost instantaneous.

> A little thicker than I'd hoped, but manageable. Otherwise a very small device.

> Booted up first thing from my existing Sim card

> PIE is much peppier than my 2125, although dslreports shows same speed as 2125

> Screen is great, but again, pretty small fonts for old eyes (still, better than 2125)

> Keyboard is great to type on, much better than the Treo 650, but the color scheme is bad for old eyes (keep having to tip it to see where everything is).

> Incoming sound quality of call is good - no complaints from the other end.
    First 30 minutes impression:

> I know there has been a lot of talk about "sluggishness" and no new software added in yet, but when opening and closing the keyboard the screen orientation switch is almost instantaneous.

> A little thicker than I'd hoped, but manageable. Otherwise a very small device.

> Booted up first thing from my existing Sim card

> PIE is much peppier than my 2125, although dslreports shows same speed as 2125

> Screen is great, but again, pretty small fonts for old eyes (still, better than 2125)

> Keyboard is great to type on, much better than the Treo 650, but the color scheme is bad for old eyes (keep having to tip it to see where everything is).

> Incoming sound quality of call is good - no complaints from the other end.

How about wireless Activesync with e-mail, calendar, contacts...etc
    Wow, that is really a nice smartfone. The form factor is more attractive to me than the Treo, especially because of the larger screen real estate (not pixels). Now if Cingular will announce the smaller Palm OS 8215, I'll be buying! :-D

http://www.churchoflivingfaith.com/i...C8125v8215.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    How about wireless Activesync with e-mail, calendar, contacts...etc
    Works great - I use it with mail, calendar and tasks. I leave contacts for a USB sync just to save batteries on wireless syncing. You can do it by schedule or set the server (through Activesync) to send blank SMS messages that tell the phone you have new mail which then syncs - a pseudo push until real push arrives with the Microsoft WM5 update later this spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Wow, that is really a nice smartfone. The form factor is more attractive to me than the Treo, especially because of the larger screen real estate (not pixels). Now if Cingular will announce the smaller Palm OS 8215, I'll be buying! :-D

http://www.churchoflivingfaith.com/i...C8125v8215.JPG
    What makes you think there will be a Palm OS 8125?