1.    #1  
    I've had every Treo since inception (except the 650 because TMobile did not upgrade - still don't know why) and since it does't look like the 700 series is that much better Im not going to wait any longer and want to get a NEW phone. So...

What is better than a Treo? Price is not an issue.

I keep reading these and other board but I dont really get a sense of what is better:

These are some of the candidates:

Motorola PMx 300 (I guess these are not coming back - not sure why, but GREAT form factor)

Motorola Q (RAZRBerry seems interesting)

UTStarcom PPC-6700 / XV-6700 / HTC Apache (seems very cool)

HTC Wizard / 8100 / 8125 / MDA / K-JAM (maybe cooler than Apache)

Samsung i730

Samsung SPH-M7000

Siemens Pocket Loox T800/T830

What do you think?
    Last edited by Steve340; 02/03/2006 at 01:54 PM.
    so what are the requirements? What features do you want/need?
    ???
  3.    #3  
    Windows compatible PDA (WM5 or POS)
    Keyboard
    Bluetooth
    WiFi
    Camera/Video
    Speakerphone
    Strong battery life
    SD expansion slot
    Strong internet experience (EVDO/EDGE, Java)
    GSM (preferable)
    GPS (would be great)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Take the MPx300 off that list...It was horrible and has been cancelled for a while now.

The Samsung i730 is ok, but if you are staying with T-Mobile it is of no use to you (Verizon only).

I don't know much about that last Smasung you mention.

The rest of those phones are ALL great devices, and I am sure that they will all be better devices than the Treo 650. I like the Treo 650 alot, but there is a great deal that ardent Treo supporters are missing out on by ignoring some of the other devices.

I have owned many Treos, all of them Treo 600s and 650s, and every time I get one I end up getting another one. You might think that means it is extremely impressive, but that is only partially true. It is impressive, but it is also quite dissappointing. The extra Treo I get is for when my first one fails. Something ALWAYS fails on it after a month or two forcing me to send the phone in and get something else to use while waiting for my phone to return. I should not have to do that with a device that is supposed to be the best. Problems were not even limited to hardware. The synchronization software often has "forgotten" how to connect with Outlook and sync my PIM info...sometimes it just wouldn't do anything at all. I actually tried to remove it from my computer and that is not possible. It cannot be removed, it cannot be reinstalled, and it doesn't even work! Couple that with a device that can't sync Contacts on my Exchange server and often misses email from the server and I have trouble understand why people like it as much as they do.

Palm OS is NOT the problem, it is PalmOne (or whatever their name is this week). They have been building unreliable devices...it is annoying because the 650 has everything to make it a long lasting product...it even looks better than most devices. The worst part of this is that the 650 is actually better than the 600 for reliability...

If you are going to switch carriers, the 6700 (Apache) is a great choice. It seems to have issues as well, but none as bad as the Treo. The Wizard is great as well, but not as fast as the 6700. I bought one last November and am still using it. It is fun to use and syncronizes all of my PIM info on the desktop as well as the Exchange server without any problems. I don't even have to plug it in, I just sync over BT and it is faster than the 650 could sync.

Those two are my two favourite devices...I'm sure Palm will come out with something worthwhile again soon, but so will other WM makers and they are doing WM better than Palm's first try.
  5.    #5  
    Silver 5,
    Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Is the i730 the "real" WM smartphone (with the slide out qwerty keyboard)? I get them confused. If it is, you can buy a GSM version online (European) and simply insert your SIM card. It is (from what I've read online) a triband phone. Prices range from $750-$900usd. If the Treo 800 rumor thing turns out completely bogus over the next six months, this is the phone I'll be getting this year. I'm sick of the issues I've been having with my 650. I've seen remarkably little here on the i730, but playing with the Vz version in the store, I really like it. I just like Cingular more - that's why I would stick with the GSM route...

btw, by online, I mean you have to buy from a third party retailer - not an online store through Vz or Orange, or etc. Wasn't sure if that point was clear. You can do a google search a find some for sale.
    The FSC T830 seems to fit your description best, but of course it wont be out for many months. It also suffers from the same 240x240 screen as the Treo 700w. Of course, not being Palm, you wont get the same focus on ease of use, but it promises to be a much more powerful device. Also its UMTS wont be the same frequency as the US version.

Surur
    I agree with PC Mag and most of the other trade rags in making the 6509n their Editor's Choice.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1758725,00.asp

I would not currently give up my 650 for anything else on the market. Incidentally I have a Cingular 650 with the suppossedly tragic 32 MB SIM. Only burp I have had is that I have had to reinstall my apps after each ROM upgrade. Otherwise no resets, no problems, great reception, no volume or BT issues, nada. My usage is from my office, on and off construction sites, mountain biking and 3 kids who love ZAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The FSC T830 seems to fit your description best, but of course it wont be out for many months. It also suffers from the same 240x240 screen as the Treo 700w. Of course, not being Palm, you wont get the same focus on ease of use, but it promises to be a much more powerful device. Also its UMTS wont be the same frequency as the US version.

Surur
    I though I read that Cingular may not depend solely on the 1900 frequency for UMTS later this year (after the spectrum auction this summer). Also, T-Mobile's 3G frequency is still yet to be determined (also dependent on the auction results).

That aside, the Loox T830's lack of support for the 850 frequency for voice is the biggest drawback to U.S. usage right now. You can still get by just fine (T-Mobile is still all 1900), but let's just say it's less than optimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340
    Windows compatible PDA (WM5 or POS)
    Keyboard
    Bluetooth
    WiFi
    Camera/Video
    Speakerphone
    Strong battery life
    SD expansion slot
    Strong internet experience (EVDO/EDGE, Java)
    GSM (preferable)
    GPS (would be great)

If you're using T-Mobile, the MDA(K-Jam) will be available about Feb. 20. They're(8125) supposed to be coming for Cingular too, but no date has really been given. They claim this week though. I would go with that. However, they are mini-SD. That is the only drawback.

If you're using Cingular, the 6900 line of HP is supposed to be coming too. I don't know if they will have full SD though.

You could also wait for the GSM 700w, it will have most of what you mentioned (the wi-fi and GPS are OPTIONS), including full size SD. I know you said you weren't really excited about the 700s, I'm not either. But it does have much of what you mentioned. But I suspect the GSM won't be around until June. I really not sure of the specs of the Palm OS one that's supposed to be coming in April, but they claim no wi-fi option, so that wouldn't qualify.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    In many areas my (3+ years old) p800 is better than treo 650, perfect BT support, rock solid multitasking OS, better battery life, awesome jog dial etc..

I'm now waiting for the 3rd p800's successor:

P990i it has all you may want from a smarphone: UIQ 3 OS, GSM/UMTS, WIFI, BT 2.0, 2 Mpixel AF camera, flip with num keyboard, treo stile keyboard, jog dial, 3D accelerator, multihoming support (eg. you can recive mms until you are connected to the web), 320x240 display, Opera web browser with landscape support...

Unfortunately today SE announced its delay until Q2 2006, in the same new was announced a simpler smarphone M600 http://www.newsmobile.it/notizia/06,02,06,6684916-1.htm that can fit many user requests.
    Eh, I like this version better.

Imaging & Messaging

2 Mega pixel camera with AutoFocus
    2.5 x digital Zoom
    Video Telephony application with dual cameras and MPEG4 support
    Camera light
    Streaming video and playback of video (30 fps QVGA)
    Touch based Picture editor
    Large 2.8 inch QVGA (240 x 320)
    Touch screen with 262 k colours

Entertainment

Stereo Bluetooth support
    DRM: OMA phase 1
    Ring signal: 40 voices MIDI,
    Music player: dedicated access button, play lists support (m3u) and MP3, AAC ,AAC+ and E-AAC+ and m4a support MusicDJ™
    3D touch based Golf game
    FM RDS radio with Clock radio
    Stop watch and timer

Connectivity

80 MB internal memory
    64 MB Memory Stick PRO Duo in the box
    Memory Stick PRO Duo support up to 8GB
    Bluetooth 2.0
    IrDa
    WLAN 802.11b
    High speed UMTS modem (384 kbps)
    USB Desk stand
    USB full speed and charging
    USB Mass storage

Business

Business card scanner
    Backlit thumb keyboard available in 4 hardware keyboard variants: QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY and Russian
    Smart typing: Word completion, next word prediction and handwriting character recognition
    Word, excel and PowerPoint viewers/editors (text only)
    Adobe PDF viewer
    Opera 8.0 web browser with landscape full screen support
    RSS news feeds support
    Flight mode (Activate WiFi )
    Office hands free (speaker phone)
    External antenna connector
    Calculator and Converter application
    Multi tasking
    E-mail provider support: AlteXia, Ericsson Mobile Office (EMO) (Try and Buy), iAnywhere OneBridge, Intellisync, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, RIM - BlackBerry Connect, Seven, Visto, Standard Email - IMAP IDLE working on all standards compliant servers
    Security and VPN support: Anti virus - McAfee (Try & Buy), Firewall - McAfee (Try & Buy), Encryption - Pointsec (Try & Buy), VPN - Certicom (Free)
    Symbian 9.1 and UIQ 3.0 software platform
    Size - 114 x 57 x 25

Photo here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can cross out all the Sony/Nokia/Fujitsu-Siemans phones, since non of them have quad band and egde. They are too slow to use in the US.
    Sony does have EDGE and quad band, at least on their fun phones. I'm not really sure about their Symbian smartphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They are too slow to use in the US.

They are too sloo to use In my little village too, this is the main reason to get a treo here.

Anyway ALL the recent Nokia phones are edge enabled and many of them are UMTS too.

6630, 6680, N70 for example are GPRS/EDGE/UMTS enabled, the communicator series is EDGE only, the upcoming E series is GPRS/EDGE/UMTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Sony does have EDGE and quad band, at least on their fun phones. I'm not really sure about their Symbian smartphones.

At the moment none of UIQ Sonyericsson smartphones are EDGE enabled, but I think that will be a P990A suited for the US market with EDGE.
    Hey man, i struggled with the same issues you did. When I got my Treo 650 I decided to take the Windows Mobile plunge and picked up an IMate PDA2K. I installed WM5.0 and it runs really slick. Slide down keyboard is a MUST. The reason why I went with the PDA2K (its over a year old now) than the K-Jam was the processor. The K-Jam has a 200mhz (I think) and the PDA2K has a 400mhz processor. Big difference there. Multitasking is beautiful in WM5.0 with AIM, email, browsing and messaging. The pda2k is SLIGHTLY large but I haven't had a problem with its size. I really love my pda2k, its the best phone I've owned. I started with a Treo 180 and moved on to a p800, p900, p910a, Treo 650 and now my PDA2K. On T-Mobile with EDGE support, Its the best smartphone out there, and I'm the only 1 in Hawaii with it!
    I like the Samsung i830, although I can't wait for the SPH-M8000. That thing is amazing, but I'll wait until its in the US instead of moving to Korea for a *genuis* phone.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Looks like I've changed my mind from the Samsung i730 to the forthcoming Cingular 8125.