Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My choice is down to the following phones:

- Cingular 2125 (Just saw this tonight, *brilliant* display, nice size, great form-factor)
    - Palm Treo 700w (Can't do because it's CDMA, but I do like the way they've put Windows Mobile on here.)
    - t-mobile MDA (due out on Feb 20)

I have separate concerns about each device:
    - Cingular 2125 ... if this device had a keyboard of some sort I'd get it. It's better than a stylus-only device, but I am concerned about the T9 style. I spend most of my time composing e-mails. How hard will this be on this phone?

- Treo 700w ... If they offered this device on a GSM network I wouldn't be posing this question. There is a lot I don't like about this device, but it's growing on me a bit perhaps because it feels comfortable. (I'm so used to my 650). If they only gave a GSM release date I would be able to decide if I wanted to wait or not.

- T-Mobile MDA ... I tried playing with the Verizon 6700 fairly exensively along side the Treo 700w. The OS isn't as well thought out as the 700's implementation. I also found it awkward to use with one-hand. I'm guessing the MDA operates in a similar fashion. The slide out keyboard has a strange number layout as well (across rather than phone-like, which appears that it will inhibit dialing with one hand.)

Anyway: This was just some random thoughts. I'd like to entertain any input from y'all. I'm mostly interested in how useful the 2125 is as an e-mail device. Also: Is it's slow processor (200Mhz) too much of a drawback?
    I just got this phone and haven't used it enough to inform you of all operations.

But let me warn you, the power button SUCKS on the 2125!!

T9 on most cell phones(and even my PDAs) is predictive, it works for me about 80% of the time. It can get annoying when the word is wrong and I have to make adjustments, but I live with it. Keyboard is still way better.

I looked and they have email set-up for several ISP and web companies built in. I can't say what they did for corporate email. Cingular also has Xpress Mail built in, maybe that would work for your corporate email.

200 should be enough for a candy bar phone. I didn't notice any slowdown. I do like the 312 on the 700w better though.

I'd still wait for the MDA beause it contains a keyboard and the full WM5 version. You might need that for business. Remember, no Pocket Office on Smartphone version. Supposedly you can look at, but not edit documents(what good is that?).

I wonder if you can get them to wait for Cingular or T-Mobile to get the 700 in July. Although it sounds like you may not be able to get away with that.

I think the 2125 or SDA(almost the same phone from T-Mobile) is great as a 2nd phone, not a primary business device. However, despite the problem on the power button and OS limitations, I'd actually like to use this for both my lines. Easier to carry than my other devices, and still functional, but that's just me. It might not be powerful enough for heavy business use due to the software. This one also has no wi-fi(the T-Mobile one does), but it does have Edge and I hear they will accept Media Net for this model.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Lady Treo, you are an amazing resource. (Seriously ...)

I'm not worried about Push e-mail. My company sells our own solution for that. (Trust me, you've used some of our products on your smartphones.) :-)

If the 700w is on GSM in July I might be able to fudge something here. Is this a certainty or just speculation?

Thanks for your honest opinion on the phone. I do like to edit Excel sheets on my phone, so that's a limitation. I wonder if there are any 3rd party solutions? (Why did they limit it at all? ) I absolutely like it better than the O2 keyboard-less thing.

Thanks again. :-)
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    T9 is usable and will not affect your sanity provided you don't need text entry regularly. If you send emails on any regular basis you will become incredibly frustrated by the snail's pace you move through typing. It's a compromise that works well for the occasional user of text entry.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    T9 is usable and will not affect your sanity provided you don't need text entry regularly. If you send emails on any regular basis you will become incredibly frustrated by the snail's pace you move through typing. It's a compromise that works well for the occasional user of text entry.
    Which means if my PRIMARY use of the phone is e-mail (much more frequent than phone calls) then this probably isn't the phone for me.

Thanks .... appreciate it.
    You can try it on your regular phone now and find out how hard it is to type "me" when the phone keep typing "of".
    To avoid that, keep hitting the key until the right letter appears. I've done this many times and while a keyboard is certainly easier, T9 is not the complete pain some here are saying. Keep your emails and text to the point, and avoid long drawn out conversations, and you can use T9 without tearing your hair out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Which means if my PRIMARY use of the phone is e-mail (much more frequent than phone calls) then this probably isn't the phone for me.

Thanks .... appreciate it.

When do you need the device by? I can test the 2125's texting for you. I have another phone I use T9 on, not a ton of problems, a few but none that can't be overcome. Of course, you might still be better off waiting for the MDA because of the big keyboard.

9.    #9  
    I think I can convince my boss to let me wait until the 20th to see the MDA so that should buy me some time. (I just need to have something before my next international trip ... and I should get a week or two notice.) In the meantime I'm using my personal Treo 650 which is keeping me connected :-)
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I agree with lady that it isn't a painful death but I did notice how much longer it took me to use T9 than it did to type. In fast paces places amongst type A personalities, it can seem like an eternity. If you do a lot of email, honestly, it's not the phone for you. If you do a little email with short replies like the Lady says, it is functional and that's about it.
    As a former TReo 650 user (with fairly heavy email load), you'll find T9 to be to be a slow death (it's rare I when I disagree with Lady Treo, but she's wrong on this one for anything but very brief email responses).

HOWEVER, the 2125 is a great phone/PDA otherwise. With our Exchange Server, using wireless Activesync, it keeps everything up to date remotely, and the screen is great for such a small device. Unfortunately, I'm still lusting over the 8125, because I feel I need the keyboard (or maybe the O2 Atom, at least it has a touch screen). I just need something a lot better than T9. My kids think it's great for text messaging, which I just don't use, but when I look at their cryptic, short-hand like text messages, I can see why they make do with a telephone keypad.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I did say keep your emails and text to the point.
    If your emails are always very long, get a keyboard device. I'm able to get away with about 3-5 sentences most of the time, so T9 won't kill me.

I tried that power button. What a pain! Does this phone have the same issue with voice dial that the 5600 had? You couldn't use voice dial and the keyguard at the same time with the 5600 and bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    (it's rare I when I disagree with Lady Treo, but she's wrong on this one for anything but very brief email responses).
    Agreed; simply because it is the standard does not mean it is tolerable.

BTW, this post is surreal. 3-5 sentences on T9 is a death sentence.
    You have to push in and down on the 2125. T-Mobile's version got it right. The button is on top and you just push down.

I think I'm going to sell one of my 2125s when the 8125 comes out. Anyone interested? I think one of these might be enough.

By the way, I just did some texting. There are extra steps. Choose "abc123" as your format and that's the best. Forget T9. I forgot on this phone that the predictive text is a little messed up. the other phone I had was actually better at predictive text. "Abc123" is not that bad, if you're not writing a long report, like I've said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Agreed; simply because it is the standard does not mean it is tolerable.

I just realized I was actually using "abc123" format, not T9. And it works fine for me. But that could be because I had regular cell phones for so long.

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I could not agree more. When you said "short and to the point" I thought that meant "Meet you at 7 after my meeting." That's OK. Anything more you'll need to shave again by the time you're done typing.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I just realized I was actually using "abc123" format, not T9. And it works fine for me. But that could be because I had regular cell phones for so long.
    I will attempt to convince you to stay away from T9 and only deal with keyboard enabled phones. You'll have SO much extra time not using T9 and only using the thumboard that we could easily do drinks AND a movie -- even an epic -- in whichever suburb of Chicago you'd like... and do that with your friends every day of the week... that's how much of a difference T9 is (and that abc123 mode) from the thumboard...
    Well if the US GSM carriers were not so slow in releasing the Wizard aka MDA aka K-Jam, I wouldn't have had to buy the 2125 . I wonder why the CDMA carriers had no problem releasing their versions on time. But the 2125 is better than the RAZR. I'm dumping those ASAP. Although they are cool, I'm going back to smartphones. One more month and I'm going keyboard too. But the 2125 is really good as a 2nd phone.

Did anyone see the post on Howard Forums about how to unlock the 2125 yourself? Is it OK to post the thread link here? Just wondering since it's not a Treo related unlock thread.

I may test it on one of my 2125s.

Also, a known poster from here says that the 8125 will be coming next week. If so, you may not have to wait for T-mobile, Driven.

I already saw the Slvr 7 released on Cingular's site. They now have the coolest phones in the US!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/31/2006 at 04:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast