Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1.    #1  
    OK, I got a PPC6700 yesterday for my wife, and I'm a Treo 600 user, so I'm still figuring this thing out and reading the manual. So, was wondering if someone could tell me:

    1) When I synced her Outlook messages and whatever downloaded to the device, but I couldn't figure out how to configure the device to send/recieve without syncing back to the desktop to send, so I set up a separate pop account on the6 700 to do this, but is that the only way to do it?

    2) I saw someone mention that the only way to send a text message was in Outlook, but how does it differentiate between email and text messages? When I select a contact it automatically selects their email address, how do I get it to pick thier phone number to send a text message?

    Brett
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by brettferrell
    OK, I got a PPC6700 yesterday for my wife, and I'm a Treo 600 user, so I'm still figuring this thing out and reading the manual. So, was wondering if someone could tell me:

    1) When I synced her Outlook messages and whatever downloaded to the device, but I couldn't figure out how to configure the device to send/recieve without syncing back to the desktop to send, so I set up a separate pop account on the6 700 to do this, but is that the only way to do it?

    2) I saw someone mention that the only way to send a text message was in Outlook, but how does it differentiate between email and text messages? When I select a contact it automatically selects their email address, how do I get it to pick thier phone number to send a text message?

    Brett
    1. Yes. You will likely need a separate SMTP listing for the send component of this aspect as most ISP's don't allow you to access their SMTP servers off-net. Use the Sprint SMTP server (I'm on VZW, so I don't have the addy).

    2. Outlook should offer you the opportunity to send a text message when you open the contacts and have a number listed under that contact for a mobile phone. You can flip thru the Outlook accounts when you have Outlook open by pushing the five-way from side to side.

    HTH,

    Bob Duckworth
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    1. Yes. You will likely need a separate SMTP listing for the send component of this aspect as most ISP's don't allow you to access their SMTP servers off-net. Use the Sprint SMTP server (I'm on VZW, so I don't have the addy).

    2. Outlook should offer you the opportunity to send a text message when you open the contacts and have a number listed under that contact for a mobile phone. You can flip thru the Outlook accounts when you have Outlook open by pushing the five-way from side to side.

    HTH,

    Bob Duckworth
    Thanks Bob, a couple of follow-ups.

    1) Her outlook on the desktop uses an off-site pop account, but none of the POP information seems to have made it to the 6700, and I can't see where to add it to the Outlook account there. I added an account and can get her mail fine from the new Pop account, but I'd like to be able to sync her outlook messages, or send/receive over the EVDO from outlook. Right now to send a message from outlook, it seems to want me to sync it to the desktop and send from there, which might make sense if I were on an exchange server or something.

    2) It does allow me to send the text message from the contacts, but I was wondering how to, from Outlook, tell it to send the message as text to the phone rather than as an email, if I do "new", select "to" and pick a contact, it assumes I want to send an email rather than a text.

    Thanks again.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by brettferrell
    Thanks Bob, a couple of follow-ups.

    1) Her outlook on the desktop uses an off-site pop account, but none of the POP information seems to have made it to the 6700, and I can't see where to add it to the Outlook account there. I added an account and can get her mail fine from the new Pop account, but I'd like to be able to sync her outlook messages, or send/receive over the EVDO from outlook. Right now to send a message from outlook, it seems to want me to sync it to the desktop and send from there, which might make sense if I were on an exchange server or something.

    >>Under the Outlook menu Options or maybe tools (Don't have my phone handy right now) there should be the option to add a new account. You will need her POP3 server info, account name and password to add this manually to the 6700. There is something to the effect of "Outgoing mail server requires authentication" - here you would set up the SPCS SMTP server info (account name/pword/smtp server name, etc.). Once you have that working, you should be able to send/receive over EVDO links.

    2) It does allow me to send the text message from the contacts, but I was wondering how to, from Outlook, tell it to send the message as text to the phone rather than as an email, if I do "new", select "to" and pick a contact, it assumes I want to send an email rather than a text.

    >> From within outlook, you must be in the "TEXT MESSAGES" area. It looks just like the Outlook email page except that it will say "TEXT MESSAGES" at the top of the screen. Flip the five way left or right until you get there while in Outlook. Alternatively - Menu>tools>switch accounts, IIRC.
    Good Luck,

    Bob Duckworth

Posting Permissions