Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Ok guys... I know you guys is going to hammer me on this one but so be it. I just want to share my experience so no one can make the same mistake as me.

I had been a palm user since palm pilot to Treo 650. The most important features that I use most frequently is the phone itself, Agendus Pro, SMS, and Chatter.

Someone stole my T650 last week and for a change, I purchase Qtek 9100 with WM5 as replacement.

Qtek 9100 has very good hardware I must said and with wifi built in, it make a perfect machine. The problem lies with WM5. The software implemetation is a very bad experience.

Phone is not user friendly.. it is more software running the phone instead of the hardware. What I mean is that in treo, we could just type a string of alphaphets and we get the contact person and dial. Also we could use the send button to find recents call and dial it from there. We could also use the hot buttons to make the phone call. Very simple indeed. But in WM5, it take few more steps to do just a simple call. And the way it search the name from the contact is errorneous. I also cannot delete individual dialed number.

SMS: since the field in the contact has only 1 field for mobile number, you need to store the 2nd mobile number in different field such as work phone. When you try to send sms from the SMS (in this case, it is in the outlook function which include emails as well) function, you cannot send to the 2nd mobile as in this function, the default SMS number is the one that is store in mobile phone field in contact. You would need to go to Contact program and send the sms to the 2nd mobile. The sms is not threaded (not a chat form.) The font on the SMS is also very small.

Email: Chatter email has better configuration, let alone the different between push and pull (on WM5). I wish Mark can make chatter available on WM5. Apart from there, I cannot find a configuration that let you Bcc. There is not even an option for you to reply to sender alone or to all participants in that particular emails.

Contact: No flexibility or whatsoever. Too many field that we mgiht not be using and we cannot add field or redefine field name. No icon on the schedule and to find participant for the schedule, it is very frustrating. I knew that contact is there but it does not show up when I try to insert that contact in the participant field on schedule.

I know my agendus pro and chatter is 3rd party program and WM5 would have the 3rd party software as well. Nevertheless, the overall impression on MW5 is that it is very complicated OS. It is not as intuituve as Palm. The set up for GPRS is even more daunting that Palm.

MW5 also does not support Mac.

After all these comment, I am in a dilema situation. I would use this machine if new Treo is on the horizon within 45 days. If new Treo takes longer than that; hell I am just going to get another T650.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    as someone who has been mandated to buy a WM5 device, you have made me depressed.
    :-(
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Try using Contact Breeze to help you look up people fast. Test the trial version first.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...oductId=129803

The other 2, I can't help with. I'm looking for good solutions myself. I did find a few email solutions(haven't use though), do you want me to post those?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Hey... Ladytreo. I did not know that you also make a switch... I would appreciate if you can share your experience. Thanks a lot. Like you avatar said, Palm is still the best.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    My experience was the same after using a 6700... it takes too many clicks to do the simplest tasks... if they added some mappable(sp?) buttons to the 6700 it would be a much better device. Thats why I'm praying palm gives us one more palm powered Treo with A2DP & EV-DO.
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    if they added some mappable(sp?) buttons to the 6700 it would be a much better device.
    I count 5 buttons on my 6700 that can be mapped to any application on the device as well as a number of system functions. Also two of those can have their push and hold functions mapped as well. That's seven programmable buttons out of the box. With 3rd party software, even more buttons become programmable.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I tell you guys a good news... I just bought a Treo650 and ditch my Qtek 9100. I had enough of WM5 and does not want to put up with it anymore. The last straw is when I went down to my service provider and getting help of my GPRS set up. He told me that I was doing the right set up but for WM5, i need to do a hard reset for any changes in my sim card.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    You were just getting the wrong advice and from the wrong people. The threads over at hofo are very helpful and have made me a VERY happy camper with my 9100. I would never go back to the 650. I guess to each his own.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I like WM5, but I would still return to the 650 at this time. We shall see when I finally get my hands my own Qtek 9100. WM5 PDAs are working fine for me though, except for a few glitches.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I know I have been negative about WM5.. but... I tried and really feel 'negative about it'. I had experience to call an international call on Qtek 9100 and after I hanged up, I can still see the phone connection icon on the screen after 45 minutes later (but the screen timer is still keep ticking). I tried in vain to shut the phone down but press the reset button. This happen to me a few times. I will know by the end of the months whether i am going to be charge on those 'non existence' phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    You were just getting the wrong advice and from the wrong people. The threads over at hofo are very helpful and have made me a VERY happy camper with my 9100. I would never go back to the 650. I guess to each his own.

OT, but what brand of mini-SD card are you using, please? I'm finally making the move over to the phone side of WM5, but most HTC models are mini-SD. The 700 is the only one allowing full size SD.

after a week I wanted to go back to the treo...cause I was s used to it. now after a month I'm used to the 6700 and I wouldn't go back to the treo. this thing is just too powerful. huge screen, evdo, and with orb and logmein it has become a true extention of my desktop
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Any experience (concerns) with repair service? That's the one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Qtek. That, and the price if they ever release the Cingular 8125 (supposedly $449 without contract, almost a $200 saving over the Qtek). I have to admit, I think the Qtek/i-Mate designs are better looking than the square box version of the Dopod/8125, but can't say they're $200 better.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 01/31/2006 at 12:47 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    $449 is a good price! But then we have to figure out how to unlock it. Someone will probably post a solution on Howard again, just like with the 2125.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/31/2006 at 01:36 PM.

A couple things need to be pointed out. You have lumped your concerns into one pile, when they should be separated into Phone Model Design Concerns and OS concerns.

What I mean is, as already pointed out, if your phone has a lot of hardward buttons, then WM becomes very tap free while accessing your most common apps with one push of a hardware button. With my 6600, I have 9 programable buttons.

OS concerns, I have mostly found (and sindu this is not pointed at you, just a general observation) to be simply a new user not recognizing that they are using a totally new OS and that there is a learning curve. Just like there was a learning curve for me when I got my first Palm OS with my 600. I hated it, until I learned how to use it. Then I loved it. Here is a thread the directly addresses this concern:

WM Easy of Use / One Hand Tips Thread

Nearly every single one of your concerns with the OS can be addressed by simply knowing how WM does it or a few inexpensive 3rd party add-ons....just like I had to do with my Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Was that a typo and you meant $499? That plus the $200 more you mentioned is more like what I've seen for the Qtek.
    $449. Thanks for the catch. MMB has the Qtek for $629 lately. Making it a very tempting alternative to the locked 8125 (which just can't seem to wrest itself from Cingular's cold dead hands).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    In response to the 2 questions directed at me: 1.) I use a Kingston and a Patriot mini SD card. Nothing fancy. Haven't had any issues with either one. 2.) I haven't had any experience with service or repair of my unit. I haven't had any problems with it so I haven' t had to check. According to Dave at MMB, there is only a 12 day turnaround if it would have to be serviced.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    As far as price on the QTek, if you are out of contract with your cell provider, you may be able to coax a discount out of them.

I am out of contract at Cingular so I contacted the Retention department and told them I'd be cancelling my account with them because they didn't offer comparable equipment. They asked what I was looking for and when they realized they couldn't compete equipment-wise they offered me a $150 credit on my account if I bought my own equipment and furnished them a receipt. (It may have helped that I have many lines of service with them).

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I'm going to sell my QTek now instead of waiting. First $550 takes it. I'll include an extra leather case and a couple of PPC Techs screen protectors. The phone is 4 months old and in good shape, showing only minor wear but all works great.

What version of Bluetooth does the QTek 9100 have? I've seen conflicting websites (1.1 vs 2.0). Also, does the bluetooth have the A2DP profile? Also, how is the overall size comparison to the treo? Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast