1.    #1  
    Interesting
    Supreme Court rejects BlackBerry patent appeal
    Action could doom RIM's e-mail services

Updated: 10:43 a.m. ET Jan. 23, 2006
    WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear an appeal from the maker of the BlackBerry in the long-running battle over patents for the wildly popular, handheld wireless e-mail device.

The high courtís refusal to hear Canada-based Research In Motion Ltd.ís appeal means that a trial judge in Richmond, Va., could impose an injunction against the company and block BlackBerry use among many of its owners in the United States.

The justices had been asked to decide on whether U.S. patent law is technologically out of date in the age of the Internet and the global marketplace.

At issue was how U.S. law applies to technology that is used in a foreign country and allegedly infringes on the intellectual property rights of a patent-holder in the United States.

The justices were asked to decide whether Research In Motion can be held liable for patent infringement when its main relay station for e-mail and data transmission is located in Waterloo, Ontario, outside U.S. borders.

RIM was challenging a ruling by a federal appeals court that found that the company had infringed on the patents held by NTP Inc., a tiny northern Virginia patent-holding company, because its customers use the BlackBerry inside U.S. borders. The panel said it did not matter where the relay station is located.
    I dont understand why they didnt settle this thing so that it would never have gone to court. The last thing (I think) that either of the 2 sides wants is the injunction.

It was a huge gamble to expect the court to say 'Yes, you wont be in violation of IP rights simply because you relaying it outside of the US'
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Well am sure a $ amount was put on the table but they thought they would try there luck with the courts. Am sure if all court procedures turn into dead ends they will settle. $$$$$$
    We may indeed be swamped with new members soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/...9832/?GT1=7538
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think there is a thread about this already. ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It's in the 650 forum?? It'll probably end up getting merged.

But I don't understand why they didn't settle either. Dumb move due to the fact that they have so many depending on them. It's their whole livelihood!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree. More than likely, the other company wanted more than RIM could afford so they gambled (and now lost.)

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Bend over BB!
    Now I have a question, do you think Palm will try to buy and/or merge with what will be left of Blackberry??? Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think the people at BB are fools, I agree with what gungho said. BB claims all along it has a workaround, so why did it not make a settlement offer and/or use the workarround and then duke it out. They made a fine mess of it all! Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    <merged>
    Does the injunction prohibit users who have their own BES server or just the ones who go through RIM?
    I just heard on the news that February is the month for the injunction decision. The clock is ticking for RIM.

Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    Does the injunction prohibit users who have their own BES server or just the ones who go through RIM?
    My first guess without reading the courts order is that it would enjoin anyone from going through RIM. That could change however it you are running the software that is copyrighted by the company suing. I really dont know though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I just heard on the news that February is the month for the injunction decision. The clock is ticking for RIM.
    the 24th.

I dont have a link with me right now, but some guy said that he had seen Rim's work around (actually 2 work arounds, but only wrote about one). instead of pushing you your email, they are going to push you the name/subject/date, etc. when you open it, you will pull the email from the server.

he said he didnt notice any big delays in this. not everyone is in love with this work around.

they all go through rim. when you set up your server, you have to reach rim servers for push to work.

this affects any company in the US the uses rim as their push solutions. solution: move your rim servers to canada? hmm, probably not.

I believe, in the end, rim will get most (if not all) the patents over turned. but it doesnt look like the judge is willing to wait.

what happens if they pay and then ntp looses the patents? do they get the money back.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.