Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lady Treo,

When upgrades are made with things like BlueTooth, i.e. Bluetooth 2.0 stack, is this from the Windows Mobile OS or from the carrier.

I know that atleast (however slowly), Palm will send out firmware upgrades, etc., but how does this work with MDA. I am nervous to move to WM 5.0. With Palm, I do relatively know how the process will work and certain expectations, i.e. upgrades and things like the 5-way navigator ease. I am hesitant to invest in another Palm because I do see the end of the line coming for the PalmOS and Linux and WM coming stronger.

Is there really any advantage with going with a 700w versus another WM5.0 device..i.e. the MDA besides things like peripherals being the same as the 650 I currently have. Is the today screen on the 700w really only a 700w thing or is that an OS thing that you'll get on any WM5.0 device? For some reason, I feel like if "back in the day" I had bought a Palm or a Handspring or a HandEra (remember them)..I'd still get the same look and feel when I turned the device on..and maybe only a few extra applications depending on the maker.

Is the 8125 the same as the MDA?

LT, I keep writing you because you seem to be the queen of smartphones at this point :-).
    Last edited by waynew73; 02/21/2006 at 07:13 PM.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  2.    #62  
    I think Bluetooth is decided by the maker, but some carriers seem to like to cripple it(**cough**Verizon is one**cough**).

The 700's only real advantage is EVDO at $45 a month, as of now.

The 700's Today screen is a Palm thing but it will be copied, people suspect. O2 has a better Today screen on the Atom anyway, IMO.

And yes, the 8125 is the MDA on the inside, it just looks different. I really don't know why Cingular used the 6700 design instead of the K-Jam design.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Has anyone gotten the wi-fi to work on these things? I wanted to configure it for the novelty value but get nowhere. At the office we need VPN to use wi-fi, so that's out. At home I have a key on my wi-fi access point. I enter that, get it configured, it pulls an IP address so I can ping it from other machines, but then it's dead. It can't navigate anywhere. If I shut it off then the GPRS kicks back in and I can navigate again.

OH well .... I guess there is a reason that Cingular still charges more for the Treo 650 than the 8125.

I'm still discovering things about this .. yesterday I also got a pre-release MDA and an unnamed (due to NDA) device dropped on my lap. Lots of stuff to play with.
    I have the MDA now I its going to take some getting use to. For example, I've heard a lot of complaints with the keyboard. The only problem I have with the key board is teh #'s issue. I figure I thats something I can work with. The screen is great, the resolution I can't really complain about. I'm not comparing anything to the Treo I'm just stating what my first impressions are. The Keyboard itself is kind of hard to open at first but its new so that'll change in time. BT I have yet to try. I've heard issues with it being a bit fuzzy but I'll try that when I get my new Razr headset tomorrow.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Has anyone gotten the wi-fi to work on these things? I wanted to configure it for the novelty value but get nowhere. At the office we need VPN to use wi-fi, so that's out. At home I have a key on my wi-fi access point. I enter that, get it configured, it pulls an IP address so I can ping it from other machines, but then it's dead. It can't navigate anywhere. If I shut it off then the GPRS kicks back in and I can navigate again.

OH well .... I guess there is a reason that Cingular still charges more for the Treo 650 than the 8125.

I'm still discovering things about this .. yesterday I also got a pre-release MDA and an unnamed (due to NDA) device dropped on my lap. Lots of stuff to play with.
    I just picked mine up tonight and got a wi-fi connection immediately on entering my home network key. It zipped to T-Mobile's site and when I connected to accuweather, one of the Favorites listed, it zipped there too. The good news is it's going up to 42 tomorrow and I'm taking the next few days off to play with this baby for the second of at least 14 days. ESPN's front page photo rendered immediately. The browser is a big improvement over 2003 SE and of course, Blazer. It's super easy to navigate.

I had less/no luck setting up my email connection. Although it appears to be pretty easy in that it just prompts you for your address and password, it came back telling me that I "must subscribe to T-Zones..." Of course, it's a default error message. It does not read my Internet upgrade info yet (from the BB 19.95 to the MDA 29.95... gulp) --unfortunately it can take up to 48 hours for the system to catch on.

The default fonts on this are truly tiny. More later.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Do you need to buy T-Mo's wifi plan with the MDA or you can use wifi as long as you have access at home or elsewhere?
    No; any free wi-fi is accessible as it is on a laptop.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    A few disappointments:
    - The "notes" part of WM5 simply sucks in comparison with the memopad option on Palm OS. HELP!
    Hard to believe anything could be worse.

Ordered my MDA on Tues, was told that by standard shipping it would arrive in about a week.

This morning, someone's ringing the doorbell. UPS guy. Whaddaya want? I asks. Here's your package, he says. W00t! It's my new baby!

:yay!:
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
  9.    #69  
    Tiny fonts can be enlarged under "Settings" then "Screen".

I wonder if you unlock the MDA, will you get the same "T-Zone" message? Was this web email you were trying to connect to, or corporate? I'm surprised they won't let you go online and just take the charges out of your account. Cingular will. Of course it's better to be on the plan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    And yes, the 8125 is the MDA on the inside, it just looks different. I really don't know why Cingular used the 6700 design instead of the K-Jam design.[/b]
    I read somewhere they chose the Wiz100 design because of the keyboard and the "rectangular" design looked more corporate. Don't know about the later, but I really like this keyboard compared to chiclet keys like the Wiz200 (K-Jam) or Treo.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I bought the MDA ylast night and i'm returning it this afternoon. The device is compact, slightly smaller than the 650 and even somewhat lighter. However, it's just not going to cut it. The camera is horendous <spel?> compared to the 650, despite it's little "flashlight." The resolution quality is definitely noticeable compared to the Treo. After hearing all of the "Palm experience" that was brought to WM and Palm in general, I now understand. Palm did an excellent job with the one-handed use and integration of the 5-way navigator with all of the applications. WM, or atleast the MDA, is not so great. I have more smudge marks on the screen from having to have to use my finger. Also, CNet and PC magazine were right to say that it is sluggish. When you launch an app or do certain things it does take a noticeably longer amount of time to start versus on the Treo where the apps load really quickly. And if you're a business person/mobile worker, speed is definitely required. Every minute counts. The native PIM does seem really good. A lot more fields come through from Outlook. Also, as a business user, I often have a call come through while on a call with someone else and can easily just hit conf. on my 650 and it'll bring everyone in. However, on the MDA, I believe, you can only bring people into a conference by putting a call on hold and then dialing and bringing the next call in.

The positives: they give you a lot of buttons to use to activate applications. The "edge" speed using IE did not seem to be really any different than my 650 using Blazer and T-Mo unlimited VPN; but the quick setup of the wi-fi was great and it is lightning fast when it uses wi-fi to connect.

I read somewhere that they called it the "grown-up's" version of the sidekick and it definitely seems like that. If you were on a sidekick you'll love it. I'm contemplating testing it for one more day, but we'll see.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Knowing what I know now, and if given a choice, I'd be on the 650, or at least a 700w. However I have to (for various reasons) be on a GSM WM5 device. <sigh> So I'll make the most of it.

If nothing else I've learned to respect just how good the 650 is, especially when you consider that it still holds it's own in spite of it's age.
    Update...I'm holding on to the MDA through the weekend. I'm going to load up all of the same types of apps that are on my 650 and see how this thing goes. As of now, still not really impressed and my 650 keeps looking back at me like, "are you stupid?"
    Waynew73

I kicked my Treo to the curb, knowing that MS is eventually going to swallow Palm in the future...I hate to conform to the rest of the MS zombies. I'm actually happy about my purchase. To each their own.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    Update...I'm holding on to the MDA through the weekend. I'm going to load up all of the same types of apps that are on my 650 and see how this thing goes. As of now, still not really impressed and my 650 keeps looking back at me like, "are you stupid?"
    I've been waiting to turn off my 650. When I do I'll transfer my personal phone # to the company (new SIM card again).

If Palm doesn't have a VERY strong showing in their next release though we might as well have a funeral for Palm OS, which would be sad indeed.

I'm still keeping an open mind about this new toy.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  16.    #76  
    The unlocked versions just went down in price because they are releasing a new HSDPA version of this, called Hermes. I may try the Qtek 9100 model anyway, despite the so-so reviews.

17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73
    If they had only released a GSM version of the 700w with 64MB RAM and a higher resoution screen. Wishful thinking.

Final Update...the MDA goes back today. It just can't keep up with the 650. It is quite slow in comparison..although when dbcache has to clear the cache in order to run certain programs, it could be considered to be simmilar in speed. And I know this sounds crazy, but there is a certain professionalism to the Treo that's just not there on the MDA. And when you're riding the NYC subway with 1-hand holding on to a rail and the other to operate the mda, you just can't afford to be sliding out a keyboard, and having to constantly touch the screen.

The 3 major downsides for me of life with the 650 are cache, low over-all memory, and the no wi-fi. I didn't think wi-fi would ever be a big deal, but i have to say now that it is pretty cool to go home and jump on my router and blaze through things.
    Last edited by waynew73; 02/24/2006 at 01:02 PM.
    Waynew73

I think I'm gonna get the MDA in another month or so after I get a couple things out the way. Finally got a chance to play with it today at a store and I definitely liked it. Thicker than my Treo 600, yes, but not by much. Has all the functionality I need (connectivity, especially - I'm coming from a GPRS-only device, remember, plus it was my first time using wi-fi on a phone...wow!). 320x240 isn't bad at all, especially to someone who's been brainwashed by a 160x160 screen for so long. There will be a learning curve adjusting to WM5, but like any new OS or software you get used to it after clicking around for while, checking out all the menus, etc. The PIM was great.

I kinda expected all that going in, so the two things I really wanted to check out were the OS speed and if I could handle the different form factor. I'll just say that OS speed was not an issue, and I won't be multitasking like crazy anyway so I don't see it becoming one (good to know that multitasking is available to me when I need it though).

Form factor was what I was most concerned about. Held it, loved it! I have big hands, so it was actually pretty easy for me to open with one hand and type with my thumb despite the fact that the keyboard is obviously much wider than the 600's. I wish the keys were just a bit more raised and not so flush with the keyboard, but it really wasn't bad overall.

Mr. Gates, you have a new customer.
    Last edited by ninodelsol; 02/24/2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: corrected MDA resolution
    cNet Editor's does not seem to rate the MDA any better, although users seems to like it. http://reviews.cnet.com/T_Mobile_MDA...6.html?tag=img
    ... <snip> ... keypad suffers from poor backlighting and lacks dedicated numeric keys. The MDA's camera also produces so-so images, .... <snip>
    ... <snip> ... poorly designed QWERTY keypad and sometimes sluggish performance ... <snip> ... mediocre addition to T-Mobile's smart-phone lineup.<snip>
    Is it just T-Mo's version? Are there other phone companies with better version?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast