Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Has anyone seen the Samsung SCH-i830?

I went to Verizon yesterday to play with the 6700 ... I wanted to see if I could get used to the formfactor and the slide out keyboard if I got the k-jam. (Not sure I could, seemed difficult to use with one hand.)

When the sales guy tried to sell me on the 700w, I was polite in telling him that I couldn't get a verizon phone because I need GSM for frequent international travel.

He then presented to me the SCH-i830.

Apparently it has:
    - EVDO
    - Wi-Fi
    - 1.3MP Camera
    - *GSM*

With both GSM and CDMA/EVDO it would appear that this phone swings both ways.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

The only drawbacks I could see are:aands
    - Kinda ugly ... has a HUGE *telescopic* antenna that reminds me of a 1969 walkie-talkie
    - Windows Mobile 2003, not 2005. (Not sure if this is a huge drawback or not), other than I lose some features of my client software.
    - It's verizon, so I'm sure they locked SOMETHING down.
    I don't have experience with it, but first, make sure about what the sales guy told you and not go with "apparently". It was "apparent" in earlier reports that it didn't or doesn't have wi-fi nor a camera. Also, while this is a pretty special and maybe unique device, one compromise of having both CDMA and GSM -at least on this device- is that it only runs on 2 bands in each; make sure that the 2 GSM bands are enough for you or the ones you need.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    They're taking pre-registration orders here. Apparently the SDA will be available on 2/13 and MDA on 2/20. I must say the SDA is very appealing. Only downside is lack of EDGE/HSDPA.
    how did you find that image?

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    It's at www.t-mobile.com/bethefirst. You're just signing up to be notified when the MDA and SDA are released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I don't have experience with it, but first, make sure about what the sales guy told you and not go with "apparently". It was "apparent" in earlier reports that it didn't or doesn't have wi-fi nor a camera. Also, while this is a pretty special and maybe unique device, one compromise of having both CDMA and GSM -at least on this device- is that it only runs on 2 bands in each; make sure that the 2 GSM bands are enough for you or the ones you need.
    You are right of course!

I didn't catch the dual-band stuff, and he got the other specs (wi-fi & camera) from the i730.

This device just won't do at all. (Even if the telescopic antenna was a bit humorous!)
  5.    #25  
    JMO, but I didn't like the i830 due to WM2003 and the design. Why keep the same design and OS as the i730 if they're supposed to be moving forward???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I tried to order a Cingular Treo 650 today and was basically denied. I've now been officially mandated to buy a Windows Mobile device.

There is a wide perception within my company (and our customers) that Palm is dead. Palm didn't help this image by releasing a Windows mobile device of their own.

To make matters worse, our software runs much better on Windows Mobile than it does on PalmOS. In the end, I don't have much of an arugment to get the Treo 650 other than "I like it better.".

Back to the drawing board. I'm leaning toward the k-jam so at least I can get a 320 resolution (width) for web-browsing.

Any other suggestions?
  8.    #28  
    That's the only GSM WM5 phone with a full keyboard, I think. There's several variations, as you have seen, but basically it's the same phone re-branded. I think the 6900 is coming by HP, but who knows how long. If you need a phone soon, you'll have to take the K-Jam or it's "brother" the Qtek 9100 for unlocked usage.

I'm actually starting to like the WM5 smartphones(the software is different, no Pocket Office) a bit better, they are more compact. But if you seriously need a keyboard(and also Pocket Office), it's the pull-outs for now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That's the only GSM WM5 phone with a full keyboard, I think. There's several variations, as you have seen, but basically it's the same phone re-branded. I think the 6900 is coming by HP, but who knows how long. If you need a phone soon, you'll have to take the K-Jam or it's "brother" the Qtek 9100 for unlocked usage.

I'm actually starting to like the WM5 smartphones(the software is different, no Pocket Office) a bit better, they are more compact. But if you seriously need a keyboard(and also Pocket Office), it's the pull-outs for now.
    What's the difference between the QTek 9100 and the K-Jam? Isn't the k-jam unlocked? (There are no carriers in the US that sell it AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.)

This truely is a miserable time to be buying a phone.
  10.    #30  
    K-Jam is I-mate branded, the 9100 is Qtek branded. Same phone basically. Both are unlocked. I-mate appears to have a different background for the Today page.

People on this board have ordered from here. He posts on Howard Forums and can be reached by PM over there.

http://www.dweiniger.com/catalog/ind...4884757f4a6742

Expansys USA also carries them for a little higher than Mad Monkey.

Great ... now I've gotten nailed on cost. I now have a $500 upper limit. This eliminates the k-jam.

What are my options? (Why is this such a pain in the ***???)
  12.    #32  
    Your company does realize unlocked GSM WM phones aren't cheap?

Smartphone with no Office is under $500.
    There are 2 on MMB, one just went down in price.

However, if they'll let you wait until February 20, maybe T-Mobile will have a better deal on their MDA(K-Jam) and they may unlock it for you so you can use it overseas. I've heard they are better than Cingular when you request an unlock.

13.    #33  
    I just found another post where you said you needed a keyboard. Well that leaves WM smartphones(the ones with WM Smartphone) out. If you can only spend $500, your only hope is getting a deal on a T-Mobile MDA and having them unlock the phone.

I have to laugh. I love to be hampered with requirements that can't possibly be met. (It's not my companies fault, I'm as frugal as anyone ... I just can't believe how limited my options are from the domestic GSM carriers!)

I guess my only hope is the k-jam from t-mobile. It's not even an unlocked issue, Neither Cingular nor t-mobile offer anything in the LOCKED variety either that fits the bill. If I could get away wtih CDMA I'd have choices, but not GSM.

At least that should make it easy to justify waiting until the 20th. (Good .. a few more weeks with my Sprint Treo 650). :-) (And it's bill) :-(
    I checked out the SDA tonight at my local Tmo outlet. That thing is very sweet if you don't need a qwerty keyboard and it is way smaller than expected. They are selling it tomorrow (for ~$250 new activation) and the MDA should be launching in two weeks. My interest is piqued.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  16.    #36  
    I haven't seen it on the site yet, but if it's out, I'm calling around!

I'll order either the Cingular or the T-Mobile model as soon as someone says they can ship one to my company. :-)

(Maybe I can pick up a used GSM 650 from someone so I can drop my SIM card in it and be happy during non-working hours.)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Great ... now I've gotten nailed on cost. I now have a $500 upper limit. This eliminates the k-jam.

What are my options? (Why is this such a pain in the ***???)
    Your budget will only allow two alternatives - the Cingular 8125 (or 2125 if you can do without touch screen and qwerty keyboard). I've been a long time Palm user and advocate (since original US Robotics Palm). That said, WM5 is not all that bad, and the 8125 gives you a ton of value for the bucks (my two year extension, after rebate, is $299).

In addition to all the other advantages that Lady Treo and others have described, there is another major one for me over the 650 - better phone quality. If the 8125 is anything like the Audiovox 5600 and Cingular 2125 that I've been using (both HTC phones just like the 8125), very few dropped calls and no more "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" from both ends of the conversation. I could rarely get through calls without repeating something.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    PC Magazine was very positive on the SDA (new Editor's Choice) and mixed on the MDA (sound and speed/performance limitations). Here are the links:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1918655,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1918695,00.asp

And here's a CNET one on the MDA with a little video:

http://reviews.cnet.com/T_Mobile_MDA...-31678156.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    PC Magazine was very positive on the SDA (new Editor's Choice) and mixed on the MDA (sound and speed/performance limitations). Here are the links:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1918655,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1918695,00.asp

And here's a CNET one on the MDA with a little video:

http://reviews.cnet.com/T_Mobile_MDA...-31678156.html
    Well, I sure hope the 8125 phone quality is good, or back it goes. Have never used T-Mobile, so I don't know how good they are in the first place. However, the 5600 and 2125 have been as good as my Moto v551 on Cingular, and that is the bottom line to my benchmark.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast