1.    #1  
    First Thoughts / Experiences...

Switched from the VZ Treo 650 to the XV6700 five days ago now, and am liking it overall. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions of people here and in similar forums -- a lot of the advice and suggestions have helped already...

I have run into a few problems, and would appreciate any suggestions:

ActiveSync: the 6700 is missing some "All Day Events" and some recurring appointments from my laptop's Outlook Calendar. As an experiment, I just downloaded a "lunar eclipse calendar" into outlook from the MS site, and it shows up on Outlook fine. On the 6700 the events simply aren't there, but it's showing as synced.

Checking Email: Sometimes, and I think it's after the 6700 has been sleeping, I hit Send/Receive in Poutlook and it looks like it's checking email, showing that it's getting "4 messages," for example, but then they don't download. I soft reset, do it again, and voila, they show up.

Any ideas about the above?

Favorite programs so far:

-MemMaid
    -Mortsaver
    -Resco

Programs Tried and Failed

-Trial Copy of MS VoiceCommand 1.5 just beeped and sat there
    -Third party email apps -- none worked so far
    -Vijay's Phone Tools -- program installed but I have no idea how to use it

Hacks/tweaks so far:

-Disabled Menu Animation
    -File System Cache Increase

Least favorite thing

-The dialer

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by planetpeck
    First Thoughts / Experiences...

Switched from the VZ Treo 650 to the XV6700 five days ago now, and am liking it overall. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions of people here and in similar forums -- a lot of the advice and suggestions have helped already...

I have run into a few problems, and would appreciate any suggestions:

ActiveSync: the 6700 is missing some "All Day Events" and some recurring appointments from my laptop's Outlook Calendar. As an experiment, I just downloaded a "lunar eclipse calendar" into outlook from the MS site, and it shows up on Outlook fine. On the 6700 the events simply aren't there, but it's showing as synced.

>> Are they truly missing? On mine, unless I carefully show All-Day Events as "busy" they do not show up in the month view of the calendar. Seems the default is "Free".

Checking Email: Sometimes, and I think it's after the 6700 has been sleeping, I hit Send/Receive in Poutlook and it looks like it's checking email, showing that it's getting "4 messages," for example, but then they don't download. I soft reset, do it again, and voila, they show up.

>> Haven't yet seen this issue. I do note a "lag" when I wake the handset up before it will do certain tasks. Seems that the processors has to wake up, then load stuff from ROM before it goes to work.

Favorite programs so far:

-MemMaid >> Life saver for cleaning out the crap build-up in the memory.
    -Mortsaver >> Heard good/bad Things about this. I just use the OS button lock feature.
    -Resco >> Haven't tried it.

Programs Tried and Failed

-Trial Copy of MS VoiceCommand 1.5 just beeped and sat there >> Mine works O.K. with the exception of asking me to repeat too often.
    -Third party email apps -- >>none worked so far >>Yeah, they will eventually get this working.
    -Vijay's Phone Tools -- program installed but I have no idea how to use it >>Got it but haven't tried it yet

Hacks/tweaks so far:

-Disabled Menu Animation >>Ditto: made a huge improvement in speed.
    -File System Cache Increase >>Ditto: Not impressed with the speed improvement so far.

Least favorite thing

-The dialer >> Having to go to the menu to get speed dial entries blows, but, I'm getting used to it.
    Surprising but, the VZW handset Ext ROM was free of bloat. SPCS really filled their's with crapware.

Bob Duckworth
    have no idea why voice command didn't work for you, just about everyone and their mama is using it on their 6700...
    1 | 2
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the thoughts...

One mystery solved: I discovered that ActiveSync won't add an appointment to the 6700 if it has any notes in it. I found someone else having the same problem on an MS forum. The answer was "that's the way it is". So, for example, I removed the notes from the downloaded calendar items (the lunar events thing), and voila, they all sync-ed up. Btw, they were "all day events" but not "busy".

MFizzel -- maybe I'll try VC again, but not the trial version. I've read in a couple of places that 1.5 wasn't designed for WM5, and that the new version (2.0 haha -- when that will be is anyone's guess) will be designed for it.

ps I REALLY miss snappermail...

David Peck
    i switched from the 700w to the 6700 and my only problem is the low speaker volume and rintones. and thats not a big deal just wish they where a little louder.all in all i am very happy with this phone so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxfatalxx
    i switched from the 700w to the 6700 and my only problem is the low speaker volume and rintones. and thats not a big deal just wish they where a little louder.all in all i am very happy with this phone so far.
    Hi,

Quick questions regarding your converstion from 700w to xv6700. What were you main factors when making this decision? How quick is the 400Mhz processor? Definitely faster than the 700w?

I am thinking about switching over to VZ basically because the potential of EVDO access is great. But I would like to figure out whether I should stay in the Treo camp or move to the xv6700. I like the XV6700 because the idea of moving down to a 240x240 screen resolution is kinda disappointing.

Any information of opinions you have on this would be appreciated. I am double posting as a new thread as well, just in case there are others who had to face the same decision.

Moppet52