1.    #1  
    I would pay $50 for this. Add in the EVDO upgrade coming next month for the PPC-6600....and I would a VERY happy mobile phone owner. And I think there lays one of the main issues of why I why I will never have it. I would stay with my current phone for that much longer! Hence, no additional sales for them, no matter customer satisfaction.

Now available: E-TEN M500 Upgrade CD for Windows Mobile 5.0

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4785.html

January 12, 2006 [Pocket PC phone]
    If E-TEN can do this (and presumably make money on the upgrade) then why can't HTC do the same? The only answer with which we could come up: because HTC has no respect for their customers!

Just for the sake of clarity we repeat: there is no and will never be a ROM upgrade from Windows Mobile 2003 to Windows Mobile 5.0 for any other Windows Mobile phone than E-TEN M500. More information about this upgrade follows.

E-TEN Information Systems is pleased to announce a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade program for it's current E-TEN brand M500 service. The upgrade CD will provide users with more enhanced communication, productivity and multimedia experiences.

Windows Mobile 5.0, the new, more powerful software platform includes updated Microsoft Office programs like Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and PowerPoint Mobile. Windows Mobile 5.0 also includes Windows Media Player 10 and Pocket MSN.

Once you purchase your CD, please log onto the E-TEN web site to register. You will be given a personal action code to match your units IMEI. A detailed instruction procedure comes with the CD.

To learn more or to purchase this Windows Mobile 5.0 ROM upgrade click here (if you are locatd in other country than UK then just select your country from the menu on top of the page there). This upgrade doesn't contain yet AKU 2.0 (i.e. push e-mail and Bluetooth stereo audio streaming) but probably AKU 2.0 will be available at no cost for registered E-TEN customers.

Credit: ZoSo
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Perhaps you should also blame Microsoft. I'm guessing that it might not be cheap because of them...
    Hobbes: I will be happy to just get Evdo going. You need to upgrade, you have already had your phone too long anyway. ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    I know...it totally goes against my character!!!!!

But if I get EVDO on it, I am planning on still sitting tight with this PPC-6600 phone until some incredible one comes along like the Universal or one of the other new Wifi, EVDO, GPS, WM05, Mini USB port, 3 megapixel, VGA, devices comes to the USA.

The point is I am still very satisfied to the point that I can feel comfortable taking my time get my next "perfect" device without the personal pressure of feeling like I am loosing out waiting!

...............or until the I drop it and get sent a 6700 to replace it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Perhaps you should also blame Microsoft. I'm guessing that it might not be cheap because of them...
    I think they may have had a roll in this....but for once I am not focusing the blame on MS as non Mobile Edition WM03 devices were offered it.....and any device offered through a cell carrier were not! It smells too much like a VZ-Sprint-Cing type conspiracy scam.

But of course this is probably nothing more than a thought that it's only benefit is simply gives me fuel to justify hating the big guys....no matter if it is true or not.
    Hobbes: what is the main improvment between 2003 and wm5?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I would like to know too. I think the true improvement has something to do with memory management. But I forget exactly how.

I also think the graphics are better. Although that's a superficial improvement, it works for me!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I also think the graphics are better. Although that's a superficial improvement, it works for me!
    Graphics? In what way/context?

The gradient blue bars are so cool!! Also the techy blue background. Plus when you change themes, the color of the gradient bar changes and looks really good. Did you ever see screenshots of WM5?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I heard wm5 burn battery faster than the wm2003se. Can you test run it with a bootleg first?
    LadyTreo: I don't remember. I saw some screen shots from different today screens.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I heard wm5 burn battery faster than the wm2003se. Can you test run it with a bootleg first?
    IMO, yes it does. Could just be my device though. When I start using the other WM5 device, I can judge better.

Mr. T , this page has WM5 pics(on the right is WM5). See the gradient in the bars?

http://www.lymadesign.com/theme_installation.htm

Unfortunately, I can't find the page where she shows how one of her reddish themes look in WM5. But the color scheme changes the gradient to red and it looked really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Mr. T , this page has WM5 pics(on the right is WM5). See the gradient in the bars?

http://www.lymadesign.com/theme_installation.htm

Unfortunately, I can't find the page where she shows how one of her reddish themes look in WM5. But the color scheme changes the gradient to red and it looked really cool.
    Ok. (When I turn off magic button, there is some gradient in the top bar on my 6600).

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Hobbes: what is the main improvment between 2003 and wm5?
    The main improvements are probably geared to and most attractive to enterprise users. WM 5 supports the MS Exchange server for Push mail and IT services, and other wireless and secure data exchanges. It's going to allow Microsoft to compete directly with RIM's push and secure mail services, and will encourage developers to design a lot of other Exchange-related apps.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    So for the users who don't have exchange going, it really doesnt give you anything?

wish I could find the link...it described all of the improvements in WM5.0, there were a bunch and at the time of reading it I remember thinking to myself that I much rather have 5.0 if I could help it. At pdaphonehome members were saying that one handed operation is greatly improved in 5.0

if I find the link to the article I mentioned ill definitely post it
    1 | 2
    Don't get me wrong, I would take the upgrade...I was just trying to figure out how much that would factor into my decision to go to the 6700 or to something else.

I wonder if MSFT answered the question themselves. Maybe info can be found from the horse's mouth?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/5/default.mspx