Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    USB host is actually a cool feature, in that you can read thumb drives as removable hard drives. As thumb drives have now replaced floppies its useful to have device that speaks the lingua franca.

Surur
    cool. I want.
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    It's possible that his fingertips are pushing the 700w to the forefront and throwing off the scale, but based on this photo a friend of mine took, it looks like the 700w might be a bit longer than the 650:
    That photo looks like it was taken to highlight the 700w. Although the 700w seems thicker to me, it's actually all about the same size. That photo make the 700w look larger, and in the foreground.

Also: The photographer had to put some effort into making the 650 screen dimmer than the 700w. Wow.
    Will quickly drop my Treo 700 for either the Moto Q or Loox if and ONLY if they improve on my criteria. What will it take for me to decide between the newer phones?

-they both must have WM5..looks like they will

-best form factor will win (in this case it will be feel in hand/pocket)..cannot be much bigger than the Treo dimensions. this is most important for me. having looked at the comparisons the Loox is on the big side, probably too big for me. will need to be very similar in size. must be pocketable.

-design: right now the Loox doesn't stand a chance, holding all else constant. i don't care for its looks. the slimness of the Moto Q is its selling point. next.

-battery life: has to last a day without a charge
    -evdo/edge (wi-fi not necessary for me)

-at least 240x240 (this is sufficent for me)..i like the Treo 700 screen so far.

-price (form factor is what i pay for....but at some point, regardless of the device, i have to say no..somewhere around $450-500 area).

-touchscreen: i like the convenience it provides. do i have to have it? no. have owned blackberries so i'm familiar with the thumbwheels.

so as of right now the Treo 700 is perfect for me.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/21/2006 at 09:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    I'm so in agreement with you. I feel like I saw one of these "treo killers" threads last week on the forum. Why can't the heading just say "NEW device with cool features"? It's like PEPSI's relentless pursuit of COKE. It seems like everyone trying to kill the TREO. I swear, when the investigations starts, about who killed the TREO, I'M POINTING THE FEDS to TREOCENTRAL!!!

P.S. They never killed the Treo 300, they never killed the Treo 600, they never killed the Treo 650. But there's supposedly a killer for the Treo 700? Come on now. who's the killer? OREN ISHII from Kill bill? Face it, the Treo is like Bond, there's always gonna be a new one.
    loved this! nice job. so silly some are. and in theory, "killing the treo" is almost validating its greatness. this is, afterall, TreoCentral.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    loved this! nice job. so silly some are. and in theory, "killing the treo" is almost validating its greatness. this is, afterall, TreoCentral.
    Actually, the phrase is no longer applicable. The Treo is no longer what it once was. It used to mean the phone that could reasonably compete with the Treo. Now it means the phone that clearly makes the Treo obsolete. Palm already did that. The Loox is clearly a killer with all those features and I don't think too many will worry that it doesn't look as sexy as long as it works. For those of you who already bought the 700w, it is what it is and as long as you're happy with your phone, great. For those of us like me who are looking soon to upgrade, I'm VERY sorry that I'll need to buy all new accessories because even the promise of all my 650 accessories working with the 700w isn't near enough. With built in WiFi and all the other possibilities in the Loox, it's a no brainer.

If you also notice, nobody is developing phones for the Palm platform either -- and that used to be a place where you had at least Samsung and Kyocera there. It's all gone. Nobody cares about the Palm platform anymore, least of all Palm so it seems. What they are about to find out (and probably are) is that they shouldn't have been overconfident in jumping into the Windows world...
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    That photo looks like it was taken to highlight the 700w. Although the 700w seems thicker to me, it's actually all about the same size. That photo make the 700w look larger, and in the foreground.

Also: The photographer had to put some effort into making the 650 screen dimmer than the 700w. Wow.
    That certainly wasn't intentional. The friend who took that photo was/is unimpressed by the 700w. I'm guessing that he had his fingertips curved in, putting the 700w in the forefront (and making the dimensions seem a bit off) and that he probably had his 650's brightness less than max.

I did just notice that the 650 w/Blazer did a better job of rendering my web site (the tagline should be below the logo), but that's a minor nit-pick. A bigger concern is the horizontal scrolling required, though PIE has various settings for that and he may have had it set to a more full-size view on the 700w. Plus, browsing my regular site wouldn't make sense, anyway, since I've got a separate mobile-friendly version. I'm guessing he took that particular shot more as a comparison to another photo he took showing how well the Nokia 770 displayed my desktop-sized site (which, BTW, looked schweet).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    If you also notice, nobody is developing phones for the Palm platform either -- and that used to be a place where you had at least Samsung and Kyocera there. It's all gone. Nobody cares about the Palm platform anymore, least of all Palm so it seems. What they are about to find out (and probably are) is that they shouldn't have been overconfident in jumping into the Windows world...

While agree with you that no one other than Palm right now seems to be interested in Frankengarnet or Cobalt. However, I think it would be prudent to wait and see how lisencees react to Palm linux later this year. Access PalmSource already annouced LG as a major new lisecencee and there are rumors that DoCoMo Japan might also be interesting in PL product considering they recently just made a large investment in Access Tech. In addtion ODM lisencee like GSL and PiTech have recently released PalmOS smartphones...

Regarding Samsung and Kyocera, I agree it been pretty sad that they seemed to have dropped PalmOS. According the the threads over at PDAPhoneHome, it seems Samsung dropped their PalmOs development last year after the i550/i530 debacle after they couldn't clear wireless carrier authorizations, although it was released in Mexico, China etc. I don't know if they will revisit PalmOS, but perhaps PL will change this and make dev easier. Kyocera on the other hand is a complete mystery. I have't heard anything about what they might or are not doing anywhere. Recall, that Kyocera was the FIRST company to release a PalmOS smartphone...although they have only release 3 models afiak. Also they seem to take a looooong time between updates for some reason. Imo, if they don't release something with PL, then they never will. The only positive thing to say is that both Samsung and Kyocera are still listed as PalmOS lisencees on PalmSource's site, but then again so is Sony...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 01/21/2006 at 06:27 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually, the phrase is no longer applicable. The Treo is no longer what it once was. It used to mean the phone that could reasonably compete with the Treo. Now it means the phone that clearly makes the Treo obsolete. Palm already did that. The Loox is clearly a killer with all those features and I don't think too many will worry that it doesn't look as sexy as long as it works. For those of you who already bought the 700w, it is what it is and as long as you're happy with your phone, great. For those of us like me who are looking soon to upgrade, I'm VERY sorry that I'll need to buy all new accessories because even the promise of all my 650 accessories working with the 700w isn't near enough. With built in WiFi and all the other possibilities in the Loox, it's a no brainer.

Palm is one of the most successful device companies in America. The Treo 700 is a fine device and thousands are drawn to it. Treo's in general are one of the most popular pda phones out there. The Loox is for one who wants what it has to offer but also for one who prefers that form factor better than that of the Treo. It's not a no brainer, it simply is what it is, another pda choice. Personally i don't care for the Palm OS, many out there still do. Windows Mobile is for me, I personally love what it has to offer, and if I can have that in my most favorite form factor, then there is no other device for me at the moment.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Palm is one of the most successful device companies in America. The Treo 700 is a fine device and thousands are drawn to it. Treo's in general are one of the most popular pda phones out there. The Loox is for one who wants what it has to offer but also for one who prefers that form factor better than that of the Treo. It's not a no brainer, it simply is what it is, another pda choice. Personally i don't care for the Palm OS, many out there still do. Windows Mobile is for me, I personally love what it has to offer, and if I can have that in my most favorite form factor, then there is no other device for me at the moment.
    As I said, the Treo built it's success on what? The Palm platform, which used to be the most dominant PDA on the market, period. There were few competitors. The Treo came out which made the top PDA into a phone and, again, there were few competitors. They had the edge on the competition (Kyocera and Samsung) and had generations out prior. They were the de facto PDA phone -- but that isn't the case any more.

The "Treo" name itself used to be the standard by which all other PDA-phones were judged. The Treo 700w is now a good device but is a face in the crowd. With the Loox, the 700w is not only another face in the crowd, but becoming the same face with less features. Owning a Treo 650 and looking at a Windows Mobile device to move to, it is amazing that Palm made the same stupid, deliberate "mistakes" and will not compel me to move to the 700w, even if it means I have to buy a whole bunch of new accessories. Underequipping the device with no WiFi and insanely cutting out the de facto 64MB RAM standard put the Treo as just an underpowered form factor where Palm could play the same game on the WM platform as it did on the Palm platform with the 600 to the 650.

Well I'm glad the Loox is coming out. It's a swift kick right in the **** for Palm. It's about time the company that was all about innovation and providing the consumer with value that move to sucking the consumer dry got hit square between the eyes.

Now I'm glad you like your 700w and that it works just perfectly for you. You may never need anything else. But for very many of us, especially the significant number that will use the phone as a true PDA/MP3 player replacement, it's the same 650 issue over again. We've been there done that. You can rationalize all you want. The 700w may be good enough for YOU. But other than the form factor -- which the Loox will have -- the 700w doesn't have enough going for it for many of us.

So what does the Loox mean? Not only is the 700w just another phone on the shelf, but it's now also another external keyboard phone on the shelf with less features. Let Palm talk about that one in the next marketing and sales meeting...
    The "Treo" name itself used to be the standard by which all other PDA-phones were judged. The Treo 700w is now a good device but is a face in the crowd. With the Loox, the 700w is not only another face in the crowd, but becoming the same face with less features. Owning a Treo 650 and looking at a Windows Mobile device to move to, it is amazing that Palm made the same stupid, deliberate "mistakes" and will not compel me to move to the 700w, even if it means I have to buy a whole bunch of new accessories. Underequipping the device with no WiFi and insanely cutting out the de facto 64MB RAM standard put the Treo as just an underpowered form factor where Palm could play the same game on the WM platform as it did on the Palm platform with the 600 to the 650.

Slinky, I think you're missing he point here. If you already own a Treo device like the 650, then guess what: Palm is NOT targetting you with the 700w because they already got you!! Plain and simple, the 700w is marketed to big corporate enterprise types who want simple WM email alternative to BB, not as a laptop replacement. Some uber power users will definitly want to make it a laptop replacement (and be miffed at it's limitations), but that will be a tiny minority. Furthermore, Palm has repeated stated and advertised the WM customizations it has made to differentiate itself with other WM smartphones/handhelds. Are these "customizatons" significant enough to make the 700w more appealing than other WM pdaphones? I have no idea personally b/c I haven't used the 700w as my primary smartphone and can't give you real world comparison to other WM devices. (Will have to ask others for that). But Palm thinks so...

Also, you have to realize that Palm has a history of never having the best specs on it's devices anyway. Palm realizes that if the only way it could differentiate was in terms of spec sheets, ram and proc speeds etc, they could never survive, plain and simple. Instead what they're doing is trying to sell the "Treo experience" on WM and IMO this will be a success long term. Finally realize that this is basically a 1st gen WM device from Palm. I will be interested to see what they do with the rumored GSM WM "Hollywood" Treo and future WM devices...

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Slinky, I think you're missing he point here. If you already own a Treo device like the 650, then guess what: Palm is NOT targetting you with the 700w because they already got you!!
    Not exactly. They figure that they can get a whole bunch of 650 owners to purchase the 700w for the promise of EVDO and the same accessories. Do you even think for a minute that Palm suddenly changed models dramatically and someone forgot to change the connectors again?

Plain and simple, the 700w is marketed to big corporate enterprise types who want simple WM email alternative to BB, not as a laptop replacement.
    There is no phone that is a true laptop replacement and I'm not sure how this got into the conversation.

Also, you have to realize that Palm has a history of never having the best specs on it's devices anyway. Palm realizes that if the only way it could differentiate was in terms of spec sheets, ram and proc speeds etc, they could never survive, plain and simple. Instead what they're doing is trying to sell the "Treo experience" on WM and IMO this will be a success long term. Finally realize that this is basically a 1st gen WM device from Palm. I will be interested to see what they do with the rumored GSM WM "Hollywood" Treo and future WM devices...
    That doesn't change the fact that as of right now the Treo went from standing alone to being a device amongst others -- Blackberry, Razrberry, Loox and others that are sure to come. Palm can try to sell the experience all they want but some of these other big boys come with toys that are just as good if not better as well as bringing in more clout. The point is that the Treo is no longer the "unique" device it was that made it stand out in the crowd. Thus there are no real "treo killers" any more because the Treo is no longer the device to beat. It's in the crowd trying to surge forward.

Personally, I think the Palm OS is pretty much dead and they are glad they sold it. At the same time, it was a larger part of what made Palm successful and it isn't so easy to play on even keel with the big boys.
    Not exactly. They figure that they can get a whole bunch of 650 owners to purchase the 700w for the promise of EVDO and the same accessories. Do you even think for a minute that Palm suddenly changed models dramatically and someone forgot to change the connectors again?
    HUH? First of all, Palm just changed the connector on the 650 to the (athena) mulitconnector. Plus, Palm has standardized the connectors on all it's recent handhelds including the T5, Tx, and LD to the multiconnector including the 700w. Why would they want to change the connector on the 700w? How does not changing it make it the logical upgrade choice for 650 users? Besides, the real upgrade for 650 users will probably be the 700p, which btw should also have the same connector.

That doesn't change the fact that as of right now the Treo went from standing alone to being a device amongst others -- Blackberry, Razrberry, Loox and others that are sure to come. Palm can try to sell the experience all they want but some of these other big boys come with toys that are just as good if not better as well as bringing in more clout. The point is that the Treo is no longer the "unique" device it was that made it stand out in the crowd. Thus there are no real "treo killers" any more because the Treo is no longer the device to beat. It's in the crowd trying to surge forward.
    How is the Treo "no longer the device to beat"? As far as I can tell, everyone and their mother is trying to beat them! In fact, you can probably say that about the BB since that is afterall the most popular device in terms of units sold, and btw the specs on even the latest BB devices still does not compare with the most uber high end spec's WM/PalmOS devices! In regards to whether the 700w has become another WM clone, it is too early to say definitively either way imo. Palm, as I explained earlier, is going to great lengths to illustrate how they have differentiated on top of WM interface. Let's see how the market reacts and then judge if these enhancements are worthwhile or not...

Personally, I think the Palm OS is pretty much dead and they are glad they sold it. At the same time, it was a larger part of what made Palm successful and it isn't so easy to play on even keel with the big boys.

Actually if you followed the news more closely, you would recall that Ed Colligan, current CEO of Palm, stated recently that he would not have spun off PalmSource and that in his opinion it was a mistake. Regardless, the CMS acquisition by PalmSource and the subsequent acquisition of PalmSource itself by Access Tech may et breath more life into the platform than Palm could ever have done, so there is hope imo. The judgement of whether it (AccessOS/PL) is truely dead probably cannot be truely made until after the launch of PL imo...we shall see...

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HUH? First of all, Palm just changed the connector on the 650 to the (athena) mulitconnector. Plus, Palm has standardized the connectors on all it's recent handhelds including the T5, Tx, and LD to the multiconnector including the 700w. Why would they want to change the connector on the 700w? How does not changing it make it the logical upgrade choice for 650 users? Besides, the real upgrade for 650 users will probably be the 700p, which btw should also have the same connector.
    Why did they change the connector from the 600 to the 650? It's all speculation but the fact is that the 700p may not be the "upgrade" for the 650. I don't doubt that even Palm will concede that it has wreaked havoc with the Palm OS and have undoubtedly considered that there would be a significant number of people who will jump ship. If the 700p was the upgrade, why is it absolutely nowhere in sight? Unless it's coming out before summer, you will have a very good number of 600-650 owners jumping ship.

How is the Treo "no longer the device to beat"? As far as I can tell, everyone and their mother is trying to beat them! In fact, you can probably say that about the BB since that is afterall the most popular device in terms of units sold, and btw the specs on even the latest BB devices still does not compare with the most uber high end spec's WM/PalmOS devices! In regards to whether the 700w has become another WM clone, it is too early to say definitively either way imo. Palm, as I explained earlier, is going to great lengths to illustrate how they have differentiated on top of WM interface.
    Palm has gone to great lengths to explain the differentiation for several reasons and first and foremost, it's called "marketing" -- the art of telling someone that what they got is a whole lot better than it really is. The iPod Mini is a great example (random is the new order... how hysterical.)
    Actually if you followed the news more closely, you would recall that Ed Colligan, current CEO of Palm, stated recently that he would not have spun off PalmSource and that in his opinion it was a mistake. Regardless, the CMS acquisition by PalmSource and the subsequent acquisition of PalmSource itself by Access Tech may et breath more life into the platform than Palm could ever have done, so there is hope imo. The judgement of whether it (AccessOS/PL) is truely dead probably cannot be truely made until after the launch of PL imo...we shall see...
    Of course it was a mistake and he knows it but it may not have helped them much anyways. This is because even if Palm still owned the OS it didn't demonstrate that under Colligan that it could ever get itself into gear. What good is having the software half if you can't "get it done."

As I said, without having the hardware and the Palm OS software, Palm is now just another hardware manufacturer that was way ahead of the pack. The gap has been narrowing quickly and Palm hopes that it's next inventions on GSM will be the area where they will dominate, although on WM the game is so much more difficult. Perhaps Colligan is realizing the same too.
    "The iPod Mini is a great example (random is the new order... how hysterical.)"

That was the iPod Shuffle BTW.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kea423
    "The iPod Mini is a great example (random is the new order... how hysterical.)"

That was the iPod Shuffle BTW.
    Thanks. I knew I had that wrong but wasn't sure why, lol.
    As I said, the Treo built it's success on what? The Palm platform, which used to be the most dominant PDA on the market, period. There were few competitors. The Treo came out which made the top PDA into a phone and, again, there were few competitors. They had the edge on the competition (Kyocera and Samsung) and had generations out prior. They were the de facto PDA phone -- but that isn't the case any more.

Well I'm glad the Loox is coming out. It's a swift kick right in the **** for Palm. It's about time the company that was all about innovation and providing the consumer with value that move to sucking the consumer dry got hit square between the eyes.

Now I'm glad you like your 700w and that it works just perfectly for you. You may never need anything else. But for very many of us, especially the significant number that will use the phone as a true PDA/MP3 player replacement, it's the same 650 issue over again. We've been there done that. You can rationalize all you want. The 700w may be good enough for YOU. But other than the form factor -- which the Loox will have -- the 700w doesn't have enough going for it for many of us.

So what does the Loox mean? Not only is the 700w just another phone on the shelf, but it's now also another external keyboard phone on the shelf with less features. Let Palm talk about that one in the next marketing and sales meeting...
    Slinky, i am not rationalizing, i was stating what would get me to change to a loox or moto q while stipulating that the 700w was the phone for me right now. i am not a palm 650 to 700w person, i actually went from a 6601 wm3 to the t700 (wm5). gFunk is right, our corporation supports the Treo and I chose the WM version as I'm just not a Palm os fan. my pda/phone does what i need it to do, my laptops and desktops do the rest. i don't need a lot in my device, i just want to place calls, ck emails, and headlines. evdo works regardless of the cost. it is what it is. no one is forcing you to buy one or forcing you to like them. i'm just not sure why it is that you have to talk so negatively about them and those who appreciate them.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Slinky, i am not rationalizing, i was stating what would get me to change to a loox or moto q while stipulating that the 700w was the phone for me right now. i am not a palm 650 to 700w person, i actually went from a 6601 wm3 to the t700 (wm5). gFunk is right, our corporation supports the Treo and I chose the WM version as I'm just not a Palm os fan. my pda/phone does what i need it to do, my laptops and desktops do the rest. i don't need a lot in my device, i just want to place calls, ck emails, and headlines. evdo works regardless of the cost. it is what it is. no one is forcing you to buy one or forcing you to like them. i'm just not sure why it is that you have to talk so negatively about them and those who appreciate them.
    I'm just saying that Palm has made sure that the Treo is no longer the clear standard which all others are playing catch up.

EVDO only works as an alternative to the Blackberry costs.

Regarding the 700w, I'm just calling it like it is and prefer that purchasers can appreciate the negatives before they jump. Palm pulled a 650 all over again and purchasers should know where the corners are cut. The fact remains it's a good phone but not more than a mediocre long term consumer solution.
    Wow, interesting thread. All I know is that all this competition for ultra-devices is good for us! Lower prices, more innovation overall.

Bottom line is that if you want a multi-purpose device these days (or within the next year), you're able to choose from among 10 instead of just 2 or 3. That = good in my book.
    Why did they change the connector from the 600 to the 650? It's all speculation but the fact is that the 700p may not be the "upgrade" for the 650. I don't doubt that even Palm will concede that it has wreaked havoc with the Palm OS and have undoubtedly considered that there would be a significant number of people who will jump ship.i[] If the 700p was the upgrade, why is it absolutely nowhere in sight? [/i]Unless it's coming out before summer, you will have a very good number of 600-650 owners jumping ship.
    Really Slinky, your connector based arguements are very weak. Handpring had to change the connector on the 650, it was 3 GENERATIONS OLD for gawds sake! Besides it was flaky as hell. Just do a search for "random hard resets" due to the crappy old treo connectors issues. I know b/c I had that happen to me a few times! The athena connector is the standard connector fo all recent Palm devices, period, and nothing to due with coercing users to upgrade to this device or what not. Just be glad Palm chose to maintain a standard connector in the first place...

Secondly, are you really that naive to think Palm would really want to unveil and leak a still developing product prior to its official release just to please you so you knw there is an upgrade to the 650?!! C'mon, that makes no sense at all? Why wuld any company want to leak internal info on new devices before they were ready? Besides, it's not up to Palm anyway when to reveal new handsets, but the service providers like Sprint.

All we know is the official statements that there will be total 4 new Treo products released this year of which at least one will most likely be PalmOS based...
    Palm has gone to great lengths to explain the differentiation for several reasons and first and foremost, it's called "marketing" -- the art of telling someone that what they got is a whole lot better than it really is. The iPod Mini is a great example (random is the new order... how hysterical.)
    Quite frankly I would be very happy and pleased if I were a Palm exec and to have Palm's marketing skill equated to Apple's. That would be agreat feat indeed and you cannot possibly argue with the success. Whether these "customizations" are valuable or not has yet to be determined...
    Of course it was a mistake...
    Are you referring to your earlier statements that Palm was glad they sold Palmsoruce or something else?

...and he knows it but it may not have helped them much anyways. This is because even if Palm still owned the OS it didn't demonstrate that under Colligan that it could ever get itself into gear. What good is having the software half if you can't "get it done."
    Again, you are sorely lacking in the basic chronologial history of Palm and its acquisition history. Ed Colligan was NEVER the CEO of unified Palm+Palmsource. He only became the CEO of Palm post departure of Tom Bradley who incidently left for HP. Prior to that he was an exec of Handspring. The divesture of Palmsource occured BEFORE the merger of PalmOne and Handspring...thus your assertions are completely wrong...
    As I said, without having the hardware and the Palm OS software, Palm is now just another hardware manufacturer that was way ahead of the pack. The gap has been narrowing quickly and Palm hopes that it's next inventions on GSM will be the area where they will dominate, although on WM the game is so much more difficult. Perhaps Colligan is realizing the same too.
    So then after all that, why are you still here then? Seriously, if you are so disappointed with the 700w and do not or cannot wait for the rumored 700p, why don't you just go and get the T800 or whatever and tell us first hand how powerful and superior it is when compared to the Treo?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast