Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You also have to consider price. Even with all the "skimpy" specs of the 700w, the thing is still VERY expensive imo at +$600 USD unsubsidezed. The T830 will probably be priced even higher than that! I don't care how impressive the specs are, but not that many people are to spend near a grand for a smartphone...
    But it seems like once these type of phones FINALLY hit the states the prices drop to around the $500-600 mark again. Look at the PDA2k. When it came out in the EU it was running around $1,200. When it finally hit Sprint, it was $629......which is certainly in the threat range to offer significant competition with phones with these specs and features with such similiar form factors to make it harder to justify not switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Here are some links:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Po..._2006?site=PPC

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/12/f...ails/#comments

The dimensions of this thing look interesting:

Treo 700w (4.4x2.3x0.9 ) vs Loox T800 (126 x 64 x 21 mm)

Normalizing units to inches its:

700w (4.4 x 2.3 x 0.9) vs T800 (4.7 x 2.52 x 0.83)

Not that bad imo...
    126/2.54 = 5.0 not 4.7. So length is 0.6 inches more than the 700w (presuming your original figures are ok) - that's getting towards a pretty substantial difference IMO. Because of the extra width too, the footprint is actually the best part 25% bigger than the 700w's.

The first thing that struck me about it is that not much of the front is actually screen. Only 240x240 as well. Still the rest of the specs are so good it might be worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Rather industrial looking.
    I like industrial design, well Jonathan Ive's stuff anyway . Not sure this is quite in the same class though.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ROFLOL.

some of you have been touting Treo 650 killers for at least a year, yet the Treo is still the most successful smartphone in the U.S.

And now you're starting out all over again. Time will tell, but I sure wouldn't call Palm down for the count just yet.
    I'm so in agreement with you. I feel like I saw one of these "treo killers" threads last week on the forum. Why can't the heading just say "NEW device with cool features"? It's like PEPSI's relentless pursuit of COKE. It seems like everyone trying to kill the TREO. I swear, when the investigations starts, about who killed the TREO, I'M POINTING THE FEDS to TREOCENTRAL!!!

P.S. They never killed the Treo 300, they never killed the Treo 600, they never killed the Treo 650. But there's supposedly a killer for the Treo 700? Come on now. who's the killer? OREN ISHII from Kill bill? Face it, the Treo is like Bond, there's always gonna be a new one.
    Last edited by hova; 01/18/2006 at 12:04 PM.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Pocket Loox T800/T830

Thumb keyboard
    240 x 240 screen
    PXA27x 416 Mhz processor
    128 MB ROM/64 MB RAM
    UMTS 3G telephony
    802.11g WiFi and BT 2.0
    GPS Reciever SiRFIII

Two cameras - one 2 megapixel and one VGA
    Dimensions: 126 x 64 x 21 mm
    Weight: 190g
    Release date: Summer 2006. To be announced on 13 February at 3GSM conference.

The Hollywood Treo is going to have an uphill battle.

Surur
    Looks very interesting, not sure I would tout it as a 700W killer, but if and when available in the US some will love it.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  6.    #26  
    A size comparison (roughly to scale)

Its true that the Treo 700w will probably be a lot cheaper than this device, so is bound to have much greater volumes. Few Treo's will be killed Its however much more full featured.

Some more info has come out (supposedly true, but people love to hoax with FSC Loox's). Its supposed to have USB 2 host and slave, and the 2 Mpixel camera is supposed to be auto-focus, and a jog dial

http://www.handheldlearning.co.uk/pd..._datasheet.pdf

Surur

Edit: Ive added my current phone, the Sony Ericsson V800 (dumb phone) . Its not that much smaller, and its actually thicker than the Loox. I can make a small sacrifice for the added functionality.
    Last edited by surur; 01/18/2006 at 01:12 PM.
    Thanks for doing that. Conclusion: (for me) it's too big.

Its true that the Treo 700w will probably be a lot cheaper than this device, so is bound to have much greater volumes. Few Treo's will be killed Its however much more full featured.

Some more info has come out (supposedly true, but people love to hoax with FSC Loox's). Its supposed to have USB 2 host and slave, and the 2 Mpixel camera is supposed to be auto-focus, and a jog dial

Surur
    Does it come with a briefcase?
    (Looks much smaller than the Wizard though).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Thanks for doing that. Conclusion: (for me) it's too big.
    BIG, BIG phone, itty bitty keypad buttons. (compared to either Treo)
    It's great to have everyone chasing you. It means so far you are winning the race. This device looks cool but built-in Wifi and GPS are nice but not essential. 2 megapixel cameras are cool but not that important to me. In the end I need my T700 for business. If there are any improvements that make business applications easier then I am all ears. If they did offer this at the same price as the T700 then it would definitely be a good buy but if you already bought a T700 it's no way you buy this device. Long story short, Palm has a good 6 month headstart on sales and alot of word of mouth from previous device owners. This device will have alot of catching up. With slower internet speeds.
    Wi-fi and GPS are VERY essential to many people!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Surur

Edit: Ive added my current phone, the Sony Ericsson V800 (dumb phone) . Its not that much smaller, and its actually thicker than the Loox. I can make a small sacrifice for the added functionality.
    The Treo 650 wins the beauty contest!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's possible that his fingertips are pushing the 700w to the forefront and throwing off the scale, but based on this photo a friend of mine took, it looks like the 700w might be a bit longer than the 650:
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    its more geared toward Europe...triband GSM 900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 2100. Too bad there's no GSM 850 or WCDMA 850/1900
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    It's possible that his fingertips are pushing the 700w to the forefront and throwing off the scale, but based on this photo a friend of mine took, it looks like the 700w might be a bit longer than the 650:
    Official specs

113 x 59 x 23 mm treo 650
    126 x 64 x 21 mm loox 810
    112 x 58 x 23 mm treo 700w

The Treo 700w is slightly shorter and less wide.

Surur
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have been holding out on buying other PDA-phones because I love Palm OS so much. But finally I am giving in. Not because of the PDA-phone's OS, but because it is so feature pack that I can't possibly resist it. When it comes out in July, I will kiss my 2-1/2-years Treo 600 goodbye

p/s: It is still not perfect for me though. If it had FM radio and a higher-resolution screen, then it would have been
    Have you considered the SE P990i?

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/si...990/p_p990.jsp

That's got a little better screen and the FM radio. Don't know how you feel about Symbian, but if you're willing to go from POS to WM then you probably wouldn't mind going to Symbian.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that they were supporting Symbian OS 9... I may not have to dump my Treo for a can and string after all...
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Have you considered the SE P990i?

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/si...990/p_p990.jsp

That's got a little better screen and the FM radio. Don't know how you feel about Symbian, but if you're willing to go from POS to WM then you probably wouldn't mind going to Symbian.
    I did consider SE P990i when the specs were released, but it didn't have the same effect to me, as far as changing OS platform is concerned, as when Pocket Loox specs were released. I was puzzled by it too. So, when I compared the specs again after you mentioned it, I saw the major difference that tipped the scale, which was built-in GPS. Altho I don't have any experience using GPS, and I don't even know whether my place has as a comprehensive database as US', I just think it would be cool to have it. hehe.

However, other notable differences are as follows, but not as important as GPS as I mentioned above:

Pocket Loox advantages over SE P990i:
    1) Windows Mobile 5 (If I were to change OS, I'd rather it be to WM than Symbian)
    2) Latest specs for wifi (802.11g), bluetooth (2.0), USB 2.0 (host & slave-altho I don't know what use I have them for)

SE P990i advantages over Pocket Loox:
    1) FM radio
    2) light (155g vs 190g)
    3) higher resolution (240x320 vs 240x240)

Now that you have mentioned it, I'm seriously reconsidering P990i. Guess I have finally gotten over sticking to Palm OS only. The specs on Pocket Loox have opened my eyes. Such a relief. Never in a million years have I ever thought I'd use other OS'es. Now, I'm starting to read reviews of other OS'es and I'm begining to think, it's not so bad after all to change OS.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    2) Latest specs for wifi (802.11g), bluetooth (2.0), USB 2.0 (host & slave-altho I don't know what use I have them for
    USB host is actually a cool feature, in that you can read thumb drives as removable hard drives. As thumb drives have now replaced floppies its useful to have device that speaks the lingua franca.

Surur
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast