Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The most important things to me are:

1. Staying signed-in to all major instant message services 24/7
    2. Getting email from multiple POP accounts delivered to my device every 30 minutes 24/7

I used Verichat and Snappermail to accomplish this with my Palm.. The Windows Mobile 5 operating system can't handle it. The PPC-6700 cannot do these things for me so I'm returning it to go back to my old Treo 600.. It's frustrating..

Anyone who needs the services I mentioned above, don't switch yet. These options are supposed to be available soon - but who knows exactly when?...
    Sal Collaziano
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 "dumb" phone > iPhone > Pre?
    cadillac | oldsmobile | buick | pontiac | lincoln | Madison Ross Media Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    The most important things to me are:

1. Staying signed-in to all major instant message services 24/7
    2. Getting email from multiple POP accounts delivered to my device every 30 minutes 24/7

I used Verichat and Snappermail to accomplish this with my Palm.. The Windows Mobile 5 operating system can't handle it. The PPC-6700 cannot do these things for me so I'm returning it to go back to my old Treo 600.. It's frustrating..

Anyone who needs the services I mentioned above, don't switch yet. These options are supposed to be available soon - but who knows exactly when?...
    Understandable. We all have different needs and different OS's are available to meet those needs. If it works reliably for you, there you go. My T600 was a good handset. If only it had the ability to grab EVDO, I would still have it on my hip.

Enjoy it. It took me 6 months to get my 6600 to work the way I wanted it to work. I'll probably invest the same amount of time on the 6700 IF I decide to keep it.

Is it worth it? Who knows. That is just a price I pay for having a new toy!

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
  3.    #3  
    It's a great phone. It's a shame it just doesn't do what I need.. Everything else blows away the Treo 600 - especially the web browsing experience.. The web browsing on the Treo 600 is so bad, I don't even use it. I wonder how much better the 650 is. Probably the same...
    Sal Collaziano
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Well, there is a ROM update on the horizon, it will address the multiple email account issues. I dont know about the other, that is not something I do.
  5.    #5  
    I heard that too. It's just when the "horizon" is that worries me.. Some of these updates are just too far and few between... The other issue has to do with SMS...
    Sal Collaziano
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The fact that there is no threaded SMS is the gheyest **** I have ever seen. Renders a $650 phone almost useless. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    The fact that there is no threaded SMS is the gheyest **** I have ever seen. Renders a $650 phone almost useless. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.
    I thought it was going to be a problem...but I have gotten used to it. I sms just as much as before (and when I had threaded sms on my 600 I never went back to read them anyway.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I thought it was going to be a problem...but I have gotten used to it. I sms just as much as before (and when I had threaded sms on my 600 I never went back to read them anyway.)
    Me too, thought it would bother me but I'm completely used to it now, it doesn't bother me.

The verichat issue is what annoys the crap outta me.

BTW, browsing on a 650 compared to a 600 is a big improvement because of the increased screen resolution and GPRS to EDGE enhancement (unless you're on CDMA), but the browsing on the 6700 blows away both the 600 & 650 because of EVDO and the huge screen, it's awesome!
    1 | 2
  9.    #9  
    As far as I'm concerned, there IS no web browsing on any Treo device.. When I saw my Brother's WM5 web browsing capabilities, I realized the Treo was long outdated.. It was great 2 years ago, but almost worthless now. I hadn't browsed on my Treo in weeks...
    Sal Collaziano
    I've got a Treo 600 I'd be willing to exchange for your 6700.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    Me too, thought it would bother me but I'm completely used to it now, it doesn't bother me.

The verichat issue is what annoys the crap outta me.

BTW, browsing on a 650 compared to a 600 is a big improvement because of the increased screen resolution and GPRS to EDGE enhancement (unless you're on CDMA), but the browsing on the 6700 blows away both the 600 & 650 because of EVDO and the huge screen, it's awesome!
    Verichat? I am using agile messenger. It seems to be working awesomely on my 6600 (and the today screen plugin is perfect.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

As far as I'm concerned, there IS no web browsing on any Treo device.. When I saw my Brother's WM5 web browsing capabilities, I realized the Treo was long outdated.. It was great 2 years ago, but almost worthless now. I hadn't browsed on my Treo in weeks...
    I agree but it's a trade off. If you really have to have the smaller form factor, then the treo is still great.

I believe WebIs Mail can meet your needs.....except for maybe threaded SMS messages. But the latest official version takes over your SMS message and it will check multiple email accounts on whatever schedule you give it.

I use it for both of the purposed myself on my PPC-6600.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Verichat? I am using agile messenger. It seems to be working awesomely on my 6600 (and the today screen plugin is perfect.)
    agile compared to verichat is almost worthless to me, it doesn't have the SMS/always online feature...

But yea agile is good for those times when I do need to sign on
    1 | 2
  15.    #15  
    WebIS mail's new version has the capability of downloading from multiple POP accounts but WM5 can't.. It's an update that we're looking for.

From another board:
    After a long awaited wait. i just received an email response directly from UTStar regarding a rom upgrade for our device to fix some of the bugs its plagued with. Included in the email, it also verifies that we will be receiving the much anticipated AKU integration along with bluetooth enhancements. Maybe well also finally get A2DP and proper voice command via headset. I wish they gave me a more definitive timeline.

"Hello Mr Baker,

Below are some of the upgrade's that will be in the upcoming 6700 maintenance release:

AKU2.0/2.X integration - MSFP, BT enhancement, remote reset unzip utility
    Other fixes - VM icon, Flight mode issue

This maintenance release is due sometime first quarter 2006"

Paul Villacci
    Customer Service Dept.
    UTStarcom / Audiovox
    1-800-229-1235
    I have 14 or 15 days to return my phone and reactivate my Treo 600.. If I don't get some sort of confirmation on being able to download from multiple POP accounts automatically and have the ability to remain logged into the Verichat server constantly (something to do with SMS and WM5 not working right), I'll probably switch back...
    Sal Collaziano
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    agile compared to verichat is almost worthless to me, it doesn't have the SMS/always online feature...

But yea agile is good for those times when I do need to sign on
    That's true, the program has to be running (even in the background). I don't mind it too much because that way I have more control over how often/much I get IM'd :-D

WebIS mail's new version has the capability of downloading from multiple POP accounts but WM5 can't.. It's an update that we're looking for.
    Wow.....Never heard of this......do you have a confirmation from a second source just to verify?
  18.    #18  
    I've read this on one thread or another at just about all the major forums.. sprintusers.com, ppcsg.com, pdaphonehome.com, and more.. All have mentioned something about an update..

Otherwise, tonight was the last straw. I've read about other people's PPC-6700's calling people on it's own, and mine did tonight. There's just no way in the world I'm keeping a phone that's going to call people out of nowhere.. This phone is going back tomorrow and I'll probably wait for whatever the next Treo Palm release is...
    Sal Collaziano

WebIS mail has always had the ability to pull simultaneously from multiple POP accounts. The problem is that it is a huge memory hog - at least the last version I used on my 6600 was. This may be a critical issue on the 6700 with the relative shortage of memory incumbent to that device. I kept my WebIS Mail data files on the SD card with the 6600.

Sal: As for the phone calling people on it's own, if you have some software set to periodically poll your email accounts or pull something else, then the handset will wake up and probably be susceptable to accidental dialing. You need something like Mortsaver on the handset to lock it during the wake-up sessions. True with any handset I have used basically.

Bob Duckworth
    Sal, #1 on your list was fixed today, Verichat released an update for WM 5.0, I've been running it all day today and I can proudly say VERICHAT IS BACK BABY
    1 | 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast