Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Can you do this with the 6700?

Today while driving back to my office in my 6 spd 911, my Treo 650 rings. I have the Cardo Scala with the ear gel in my right ear, and the Treo is on the passenger seat. i don't recognize the caller's number but press the Cardo to answer anyway. Caller was a new client, wanting to set up a new appmt. I pick up the Treo and switch it to my left hand, steer with my knee and shift with my right hand. Press the calendar icon while telling him I'm not good either today, tomorrow or Wednesday, but the five-way scrolls to Thursday and I give him a time of 10 AM. Meeting confirmed, press Cardo to disconnect. At the next stoplight I enter the appmt in Calendar. When I arrive at the office I sync up to my Mac.

Let me hear ya, 6700 people.

YoungTurk
    Well you can't sync easily yet (minus BT syncing) with a Mac, so short answer no. You could get everything else done. I'm a Treo person though, but I know you could get what you described done with the 6700, minus the Mac syncing.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Well you can't sync easily yet (minus BT syncing) with a Mac, so short answer no.
    Jimmy - Don't understand this sentence of yours.

I sync my Treo via BT to my MacBook Pro (Intel) using Missing Sync to iCal and AddressBook. Does the 6700 sync to the Mac via BT?

YoungTurk
    There are several "Alt-Shift" options, both free and inexpensive. I personally use Wisbar Advance and the "Alt-Tab" function of SBP Pocket Plus and just mapped it to a hardware button. Really nice, easy, and cool to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk

Today while driving back to my office in my 6 spd 911, my Treo 650 rings. I have the Cardo Scala with the ear gel in my right ear, and the Treo is on the passenger seat. i don't recognize the caller's number but press the Cardo to answer anyway. Caller was a new client, wanting to set up a new appmt. I pick up the Treo and switch it to my left hand, steer with my knee and shift with my right hand. Press the calendar icon while telling him I'm not good either today, tomorrow or Wednesday, but the five-way scrolls to Thursday and I give him a time of 10 AM. Meeting confirmed, press Cardo to disconnect. At the next stoplight I enter the appmt in Calendar. When I arrive at the office I sync up to my Mac.

YoungTurk
    6700 owners will have to speak for themselves, but with the 6600 I can one handed pull up and browse calendar, dial, while using the multiple BT devices like my earpiece, GPS, and keyboard at the same time.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/01/2006 at 07:57 PM.
    You can sync a Windows Mobile 5 device with an intel mac via BT syncing only for now(which takes a while to do) using the Missing Sync. USB sycning is on the way. I have a Treo 650 and intel iMac, it takes far too long to sync via BT than USB. That was my point.

Everything you've described can be done with a 6700, but it comes down to choice. Some people get things done "faster and better" with one device over the other.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    So I am listening to music on my HT-820 bluetooth headset (stereo sound) and my girlfriend calls and say she is on her way and to get us a movie. So I whip out my keyboard and connect to my PC via logmein.com. I was outside and had my wifi connected. While I am on the call with her I tell her what is posted on the newsgroups and start downloading a movie onto my PC. I get a text from a friend saying he wants to hang out, but my girlfriend and him don't mix as well as I would like, so I push plans with him until tomorrow while I am on the phone with her. The movie begins downloading and my boss sends me an email about a schedule conflict with our employees. I reply saying I will get someone and switch over and text an employee to come in early. My girlfiend is none the wiser that any of this was occuring while I was on the phone with her. For all she knew I was sitting on my couch with my laptop in my lap, when really I was outside sun tanning at my mom's house. I handled work, play and most importantly pleasure all at the same time. I wasn't in the car so shifting wasn't applicable.

Lonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungTurk

I certainly can't. I don't have a 911. Is Palm giving those away with Treo 650 purchases now?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    In all seriousness, though, the 650 (and 700w for that matter) definitely will give you better one-handed abilities than the 6700. The 650 is better than the 700w, IMO, in that it has more app-specific buttons to offer and the D-Pad navigation is better integrated and more consistent across apps.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    So I've got a question regarding EVDO on the 6700. Sprint's website doesn't list it as a Power Vision phone, but does say it has EVDO capabilites. What does this mean for Sprint services with the 6700? Does it not have the "full Power Vision experience?" This is a deal breaker for me, because I work for a Sprint TV content provider, and want to be able to take advantage of the EVDO Sprint TV services (to see what my work looks like in the real world, and see what everyone else is doing). If the 6700 can do Power Vision/EVDO TV, I'll probably get it this week, 'cause I reeeeeaaaaally need a PDA phone (and my current phone sucks), but if it can't, I'll continue to wait for the 700p...
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    So I am listening to music on my HT-820 bluetooth headset (stereo sound) and my girlfriend calls and say she is on her way and to get us a movie. So I whip out my keyboard and connect to my PC via logmein.com. I was outside and had my wifi connected. While I am on the call with her I tell her what is posted on the newsgroups and start downloading a movie onto my PC. I get a text from a friend saying he wants to hang out, but my girlfriend and him don't mix as well as I would like, so I push plans with him until tomorrow while I am on the phone with her. The movie begins downloading and my boss sends me an email about a schedule conflict with our employees. I reply saying I will get someone and switch over and text an employee to come in early. My girlfiend is none the wiser that any of this was occuring while I was on the phone with her. For all she knew I was sitting on my couch with my laptop in my lap, when really I was outside sun tanning at my mom's house. I handled work, play and most importantly pleasure all at the same time. I wasn't in the car so shifting wasn't applicable.

Lonzo
    Dude - that's impressive.

YoungTurk
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb213
    So I've got a question regarding EVDO on the 6700. Sprint's website doesn't list it as a Power Vision phone, but does say it has EVDO capabilites. What does this mean for Sprint services with the 6700? Does it not have the "full Power Vision experience?" This is a deal breaker for me, because I work for a Sprint TV content provider, and want to be able to take advantage of the EVDO Sprint TV services (to see what my work looks like in the real world, and see what everyone else is doing). If the 6700 can do Power Vision/EVDO TV, I'll probably get it this week, 'cause I reeeeeaaaaally need a PDA phone (and my current phone sucks), but if it can't, I'll continue to wait for the 700p...
    Nope, no SprintTV services, although you may end up paying for it depending on which vision pack you get.

Turk are you being sarcastic? I try to text from my 6700 while driving, but it is kind of hard. Not so much the sliding part or the holding, just more of a 2 handed texting experience. Couple that with shifting and I have a tough time. Although it was never easy for me with my Treo 650. I like type on both devices with 2 hands.
    Yeah .... I've had the same issue with the 8125 on Cingular. Forget about texting while driving if you value your life. This thing is *NOT* the Treo when it comes to one handed operation.

Heck ... it's impossible to dial when driving unless you use voice tags or one of the "photo" or today screen dialers. <smile>
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    In all seriousness, though, the 650 (and 700w for that matter) definitely will give you better one-handed abilities than the 6700. The 650 is better than the 700w, IMO, in that it has more app-specific buttons to offer and the D-Pad navigation is better integrated and more consistent across apps.

I totally agree... that is the main reason I am getting rid of my 6700 and switching back to a Treo. It is a great device if you are not a big SMS/Email user.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Yeah .... I've had the same issue with the 8125 on Cingular. Forget about texting while driving if you value your life. This thing is *NOT* the Treo when it comes to one handed operation.

Heck ... it's impossible to dial when driving unless you use voice tags or one of the "photo" or today screen dialers. <smile>
    I totally agree the Treo is certainly better one handed for a lot of operations.....but not able to dial one hande? I can do with very small hands on the bigger 6600. You simply push the green phone button and dial with your thumb. Pretty simple really.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I can dial one hand ok. I have the eten dialer skin so my buttens are huge. Would probably be easier with with voice command, but I had a problem installing it with the MFB hack.

I find texting to be great on this phone. I text a lot. I don't care for how it isn't threaded, but I am used to how outlook handles things now. I also like how I can text a ton of people the same thing at once. Emailing is good to I think.
    Nope, no SprintTV services, although you may end up paying for it depending on which vision pack you get.

Turk are you being sarcastic? I try to text from my 6700 while driving, but it is kind of hard. Not so much the sliding part or the holding, just more of a 2 handed texting experience. Couple that with shifting and I have a tough time. Although it was never easy for me with my Treo 650. I like type on both devices with 2 hands.
    Do you guys REALLY text/email while driving? That's WAY OVER THE TOP.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I was being serious. I try to type at stop lights and such and read on the straights.
    I was being serious. I try to type at stop lights and such and read on the straights.
    You don't happen to live or drive around the Portland, OR area do you????

Seriously, I read some of the latest insurance stats about 6 months ago and showed something like up to 35-40% of auto accidents were because of using a cell phone for voice, i.e. dialing, simply talking while driving, etc... I would hate to see stats for reading email!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    You don't happen to live or drive around the Portland, OR area do you????

Seriously, I read some of the latest insurance stats about 6 months ago and showed something like up to 35-40% of auto accidents were because of using a cell phone for voice, i.e. dialing, simply talking while driving, etc... I would hate to see stats for reading email!
    I read fast...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast