Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I stuck with my Treo 650, and plan on getting the 700p when it's available. What made me choose the Treo over the 6700 was I needed a phone first. The Treo in my opinion was a much better phone/texting device than the 6700. The 6700 wins hands down in terms of features though. You can do so much more with the 6700, but I found my Treo to get the job done for me better, like one handed navigation (no stylus), phone, texting. This is my opinion, get what works best for YOU.
    Jimmie Geddes
    This discussion has been played out on many threads elsewhere too. I agree with Jimmie. I looked at both phones closely and even labored over the decision b/f buying a 650 - and that was just 2 months ago knowing full well that the 700 was coming later this year (OK, got my 650 for under $100 - new, but that's another thread). At the end of the day, I just liked the form factor, screen, keyboard and it's use as a phone. I would love EVDO, but I was not willing to pay $500 +/- for the 700p. I also just didn't like that keyboard on the 6700 - and liked the one-handed ability of the Treo better.

IMHO, if you primarily want a phone that is also a PDA = Treo. If you want a PPC that you can also use as a phone = 6700.

Currently, the 6700 is an excellent choice if you want/need a PPC device - with EVDO and WiFi and MW5, you could get buy w/o a laptop or desktop for days!

Also - someone said above that Sprint was discounting the 6700 - I just checked the web - it is still $599 and only has the standard $150 rebate with a new line of service.

Now the 650 has an additional $50 rebate online and is now $299.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I stuck with my Treo 650, and plan on getting the 700p when it's available. What made me choose the Treo over the 6700 was I needed a phone first. The Treo in my opinion was a much better phone/texting device than the 6700. The 6700 wins hands down in terms of features though. You can do so much more with the 6700, but I found my Treo to get the job done for me better, like one handed navigation (no stylus), phone, texting. This is my opinion, get what works best for YOU.
    I hear you. The 650 is certainly a much better phone than the 6700.
    Jimmie, correct me if I am wrong, but what I got out of your post was, both are good, depending on what you needed to use it for. For you personally the 650 had the diffident edge, but would you also recommend the 6700 depending on the user's needs?
    Exactly. I've already recommended the 6700 to a few PPC people, it's a great device. It's by far the best Windows Mobile device I've ever used. It came down to what I use my device for. I wanted to keep it, I miss having it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I wanted to keep it, I miss having it.
    Did it get jealous when you were spending so much time with the 6700? I can see several weeks of hard and soft resets in store for you from retaliation for your wandering eyes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    This discussion has been played out on many threads elsewhere too. I agree with Jimmie. I looked at both phones closely and even labored over the decision b/f buying a 650 - and that was just 2 months ago knowing full well that the 700 was coming later this year (OK, got my 650 for under $100 - new, but that's another thread). At the end of the day, I just liked the form factor, screen, keyboard and it's use as a phone. I would love EVDO, but I was not willing to pay $500 +/- for the 700p. I also just didn't like that keyboard on the 6700 - and liked the one-handed ability of the Treo better.

IMHO, if you primarily want a phone that is also a PDA = Treo. If you want a PPC that you can also use as a phone = 6700.

Currently, the 6700 is an excellent choice if you want/need a PPC device - with EVDO and WiFi and MW5, you could get buy w/o a laptop or desktop for days!

Also - someone said above that Sprint was discounting the 6700 - I just checked the web - it is still $599 and only has the standard $150 rebate with a new line of service.

Now the 650 has an additional $50 rebate online and is now $299.
    Good review. No question about the one-handed superiority of the 650. The phone side is so strong with the form factor, ease of dialing, battery life, threaded SMS, etc.

What Sprint needs is a nice combination of the two devices. Perhaps the 700p or 700w can be that device. Maybe Audiovox will make the 6800 what the 6700 should have been and address all of the phone-side problems. That would be a nice device.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    What Sprint needs is a nice combination of the two devices. Perhaps the 700p or 700w can be that device. Maybe Audiovox will make the 6800 what the 6700 should have been and address all of the phone-side problems. That would be a nice device.
    Personally that is what I am trying to hold out for this year. I need EVDO (with hopefully the latest EVDO Rev A radio), a larger screen, and due to work I need WM.

If the next 770w offered everything but the larger screen I would be tempted....as long Palm didn't short sheet the memory again!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Personally that is what I am trying to hold out for this year. I need EVDO (with hopefully the latest EVDO Rev A radio), a larger screen, and due to work I need WM.

If the next 770w offered everything but the larger screen I would be tempted....as long Palm didn't short sheet the memory again!
    If the 700w were coming with a 480x480 screen, that would be something. As it is, 240x240 on the smaller screen just doesn't sound too appealing. After living with the incredible resolution and brightness of the 650 screen for over a year, the 6700's screen is a huge disappointment.
    I wasn't disappointed with the 6700's screen at all, even though it was a lower resolution than my Treos. The screen on the 700w isn't bad either.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Good review. No question about the one-handed superiority of the 650. The phone side is so strong with the form factor, ease of dialing, battery life, threaded SMS, etc.

i am starting to like the vioce dialing of the 6700. also, taking notes about a call while on a call and those getting transfered to my outlook is great too.
    everyone says they dont think the phone portion of the 6700 is that great, but i am really starting to prefer it. i think the problem is people are trying to use the 6700 like a 650. i wonder if any 6700 converts thought the 650's phone interface was weird when they switched?
    That's what I also wonder. I am a Treo guy, and a Palm OS guy. I wonder if I never used it before how I'd feel about the 6700. I'm glad that I am happy with my Treo 650, but sometimes the grass "looks" greener. I wish it felt like that, I mean the 6700 and Windows Mobile does so much more, but for me the Treo is still the best at being a phone first.
    Jimmie Geddes
    That's what I also wonder. I am a Treo guy, and a Palm OS guy. I wonder if I never used it before how I'd feel about the 6700. I'm glad that I am happy with my Treo 650, but sometimes the grass "looks" greener. I wish it felt like that, I mean the 6700 and Windows Mobile does so much more, but for me the Treo is still the best at being a phone first.
    Ever since I got Smartskeys for my 8125, I have felt the 8125 is by far the better phone device. A dedicated keyboard would still be better than screen dialing, but I never really liked keypad dialing on the small Treo 650 keyboard. Now that I can open speed dial, contacts, call log, etc. all with one hand, I really love my 8125.

PLUS

No dropped calls; no resets; no more "What did you say" on both ends of the conversation like my old Treo 650; no need for Volumecare; bluetooth voice dialing (Cardo Scala 500 headphone) with voice tags, or even better, the whole Contact list with MS Voice Command (that includes "number" dialing any number by just speaking the numbers).

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    i am starting to like the vioce dialing of the 6700. also, taking notes about a call while on a call and those getting transfered to my outlook is great too.
    everyone says they dont think the phone portion of the 6700 is that great, but i am really starting to prefer it. i think the problem is people are trying to use the 6700 like a 650. i wonder if any 6700 converts thought the 650's phone interface was weird when they switched?
    The problem with the 6700 is that you pay for and use Voice Command to make the phone side even remotely usable. Lots of people don't want to have to talk at their phone every time they want to make a call. The other phone-side weaknesses of the 6700 are the battery life and the lack of threaded SMS.
    The problem with the 6700 is that you pay for and use Voice Command to make the phone side even remotely usable. Lots of people don't want to have to talk at their phone every time they want to make a call. The other phone-side weaknesses of the 6700 are the battery life and the lack of threaded SMS.
    not voice command, there is a button you hit on the phone and say the person you want to call. it is free.

the battery life is really the biggest issue with this. i can live without threaded sms, but the battery really does blow. hopefully seidio will make a 1600-1700mA battery....soon.

i am cant wait to see the next rev of this phone....i am sure i will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    not voice command, there is a button you hit on the phone and say the person you want to call. it is free.

the battery life is really the biggest issue with this. i can live without threaded sms, but the battery really does blow. hopefully seidio will make a 1600-1700mA battery....soon.

i am cant wait to see the next rev of this phone....i am sure i will get it.
    I found the standard voice tags button to be a pain. Having to talk at the phone got really old, really quickly for me.

1700mAh isn't going to cut it. The 650 gets 2400mAh batteries which offer over double the life of our tiny stock battery. We need at least 2000mAh to make it through a day with the power hungry OS, processor and EV-DO/WiFi.
    Well personally, if the Treo 700p doesn't "wow me", I would go towards the 6700 over the 700w if I was gonna jump to a MS-based phone.

Built-in WiFi is huge, the screen is nicer than the 700w, seems to support more programs due to the screen size....

Battery Life sounds concerning but I charge everyday anyway.
    manielse, I had the 6700 and wasn't happy with several things about it (do a search here if you'd like). But everyone's wants/needs are different, so what bugged me about it could be non-issues for you. Spec-wise, it was definitely impressive and I really wanted to like it, but it wasn't meant to be.

Anyways, that was just a lame excuse for me to respond and mention that I just noticed that you're from Manchester, CT. It's cool to see more semi-local folks online.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I'm with Scott, the 6700 is so impressive, but you've got to choose the device that's right for you.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Actually, to offer a bit more useful input to this thread...

Two of the things that bugged me a lot about my brief 2-week stint with the Sprint PPC-6700 were the slow response time when opening/closing the slider as I watched the screen slowly rotate and redraw. I think I heard that this has improved with the ROM patch for this device (or perhaps via some registry hack?). Can anyone who has experience with a pre-patched 6700 comment further on that?

One of the other things that really annoyed me was the lack of an on-screen shift/ALT indicator. Last I heard, the ROM patch didn't fix that (which really shocked me - IMO, that shouldn't have left the factory like that and should have been fixed within a week of release...instead it *still* hasn't been fixed?!?).

Those weren't the only two things, but they were fairly close to the top of my list.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast