Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Anyone have ideas about an upgrade to the 6700? It was mentioned elsewhere that since Sprint is discounting this phone so heavily that a newer model must be coming soon.

Still trying to decide between this and waiting on the 700p.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I have read over at pdaphonehome (I think) that there is a registry setting that you can change that will make the switch to landscape (and back) much faster. I apologize for not having a link.

If my 650 dies on me before the 700 comes out, the vx6700 will be my next device. I appreciate your bare bones review. In my research, it seems that there are hacks and fixes for almost all the downsides you mentioned (except for the slide out keyboard. Nothing you can do about that).

I wrote this review when I first got the device. I think the screen orientation change is acceptable. The "glyphcache" hack is what you are talking about, I believe, it is questionable whether it really is benificial. I have about 5 or 6 hacks on my PPC-6700. I have tried to address all the problems in my post, but some cant be corrected. I love the device, but it isn't perfect. I am on the HTC Hermes bandwagon as soon as GSM with 3G come to my area.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtech
    Anyone have ideas about an upgrade to the 6700? It was mentioned elsewhere that since Sprint is discounting this phone so heavily that a newer model must be coming soon.

Still trying to decide between this and waiting on the 700p.

Thanks,
    I don't think it's too late...the 6700 is still very powerful and loaded with features. I am always hesitant to speculate what's coming on the horizon. However, if your also considering the 700p, Im not sure you want to go the ppc route?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Last thing is I am unsure how to add a buisness only thing. I had this problem with my Treo aswell so it could be my lack of knowledge. I want when someone calls from a business IE my work for it to show up as the business name and not whoever the hell works there. I took a call thinking it was a friend because it showed up his name when it was really my work (he works there too).
    Could you have your friend's listing on your phone not include the work number? Separately, you could add a listing for WhereIWork in your phone book, with that number listed. So if anyone calls from that number, it will dsiplay as WhereIWork rather than your friend's name.

This could get unwieldy if there are many numbers from which you could be receiving these work calls, but if that one number is the only issue, it might be a solution.
    On my PPC-6600 (with WM03), when a call comes in, next to the name, it shows a

W = Work number under the contact file,
    H = Home phone number under contact file,
    M = Mobile or cell phone listed under contact file.

So I always look out closely for this, as I face some of the very same situations.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I ended up putting my work as its own contact. I put it in as BUSINESS NAME then all the numbers associated with it. I then took off all their work numbers. Pain in the ***, but it is the same thing I had to do with my Treo 650. I know there is a letters for where they are calling, but I like to answer based on ringtones. If it is a familiar tone I pick it up, otherwise I look at the screen and question whether I should answer. LOL
    is sprint coming out soon with a better phone than the ppc 6700 or a newer model
    does anyone know if you can skin the telephone keypad? i really wish it had bigger numbers (like the lockout key pad) for dialing with your fingers.

thanks
    I don't think there will be a 6700 replacement soon, the 6700 is still top of the line. Like t2gungho said it's still very powerful and feature rich.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I don't think there will be a 6700 replacement soon, the 6700 is still top of the line. Like t2gungho said it's still very powerful and feature rich.
    december would be my guess
    Quote Originally Posted by thecolonel5
    is sprint coming out soon with a better phone than the ppc 6700 or a newer model
    The 700p will be better than the 6700 is almost every way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    i would hope it would be, coming out 6 months later....
    i really doubt the 700p will be any better out of the box than the 6700. sure after you buy 200 dollars of software to make it do what you want it to, but not out of the box.

lack of included features in pos is the main reason i am on board with wm5.
    That is a well thought out reply!
    Care to elaborate?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    i would hope it would be, coming out 6 months later....
    i really doubt the 700p will be any better out of the box than the 6700. sure after you buy 200 dollars of software to make it do what you want it to, but not out of the box.

lack of included features in pos is the main reason i am on board with wm5.
    That wasn't the case with the 6700 though. It came out over a year after the 650 and can't hold a candle to the 650 in most areas.

Anyone who isn't smart enough to use the search button doesn't get a reply. Sorry dstrauss.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    does anyone know if you can skin the telephone keypad? i really wish it had bigger numbers (like the lockout key pad) for dialing with your fingers.

thanks

Yes there is. Eten dialer skin. I like the one with the stock call log. There is a new one available that has the Eten skin and the smartdialer however it doesn't yet support landscape which makes me angry in my pants.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66091

That is for the original one. I use that dialer with another skin. The guys at XDA are working on it with the dialer, so if you want that go over there and show your support.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Will that be the multitasking, the massive amounts of ram, the larger screen, or the wifi?

EDIT

You know I bet it will be that awesome feature Palm loves so much. The multi-connector, because a USB port would be too simple.
    ...Anyone who isn't smart enough to use the search button doesn't get a reply. Sorry dstrauss.
    A bit touchy are we?

Maybe YOU should read ls3mach's response? Or perhaps with the exception of the EV-DO radio the feature set of the Treo really appeals to a "2000" man?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I am a Palm OS fan, but I'll give Windows Mobile it when it comes to multitasking,multimedia, etc. When I got to review the 6700 I loved it. I stayed with my 650 because for me it just got the job done faster, and easier. If I could have kept the 6700 I would, it just does so much more. I think the Treo is an all around better phone though.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    A bit touchy are we?

Maybe YOU should read ls3mach's response? Or perhaps with the exception of the EV-DO radio the feature set of the Treo really appeals to a "2000" man?

Now that is funny stuff.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast