Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    It looks better
    It surfs the net
    It gets email
    It has a camera, games

So why a Treo? Is it for the keyboard?
    Treo has a better screen, better contacts app, better messaging (yes keyboard), Movies ,mp3s, Ebooks, file management, and its over all more customizable IMO

As a second phone the razr is
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Get a flame suite. Let me just tell you this. They are not in the same platform at all. And have you tried the razr phone book? or it's limited 5mb space? Love the design but I need functions.

ps. Oh yea. razr only offer wap. Not html. Just good for the phone purpose.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    I have both. The Treo is better if you want to do serious business. It is a PDA. The RAZR is a phone only, and not even close to a smart one at that.

1. The RAZR is slow when getting on the internet. I have also lost connections for no good reason. Might be Cingular's fault, but I still have to pay for dropped connections. And yes, it's WAP only. Good display though. I disagree somewhat with Frank. For a PHONE, the display is bright and colorful.

2. I didn't use the mobile email yet, but I bet you can only send a few emails at a time without getting frustrated. No keyboard is annoying when you're trying to write a lot of email.

3. Motorola's phone book software is retarded. It's annoying when you have the same contact with several numbers that you have to use up another space for each phone number. If you have a lot of contacts, there's no way you could put them all on there at that rate.

4. The RAZR has no real business-oriented software and you can't add any either. The Treo comes with some and you can add plenty more. The only good thing business-wise is that the calender on the RAZR has loud alarms because the sound is quite good on the RAZR.

5. No expansion available for the RAZR. The Treo has an SD slot.

I'm sure there are more things I could mention, but it's 6am here.
    Just keep in mind that if you need or want a laptop replacement while out of the office, the RAZR is NOT it, but the Treo IS. If you don't really need a business device, then get the RAZR.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    RAZR V3 GSM is not edge.
    Another good point! Probably why it's slow getting on the internet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My office mate has a Razr and a PDA. That is the main reason why I went to the smartphones...just one device.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    No flames yet. I think people are intrigued by the RAZR.

It would be nice if VZW would figure a way to port wireless sync over to the RAZR. If I could wireless sync from Outlook, the RAZR would do a lot of what I need - phone first, then contacts, then email (just viewing, typing isn't critical), then calendar, then web (wap is enuff - even when I had EVDO, viewing html pages on a postage stamp ain't worth much).
    Ya, I mean heck, why not just get an analog cell phone, call the office and have your assistant read you your email, play 20 questions with her and setup con calls for you?

Better yet, why leave the office at all? I mean you could just do it all on paper with an old crank phone rigth there.

You see, its a matter of where you draw the line on what you want to do.

My use of the Treo goes way beyond the four uses you outlined.
    Can you watch ripped DVD's on the RAZR?
    can you listen to podcasts or streaming music on the razr?
    can you use it as a 2GB mp3 player?
    can you do turn by turn navigation on the razr?
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    Can you watch ripped DVD's on the RAZR?
    can you listen to podcasts or streaming music on the razr?
    can you use it as a 2GB mp3 player?
    can you do turn by turn navigation on the razr?
    With the exception of being an MP3 player, the rest are rarely used by most Treo owners, especially streaming music and satellite navigation.

The bottom line is that a Treo is a PDA, a RAZR is not but it is a good phone for people who need a little more than a phone and basic organizer functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    No flames yet. I think people are intrigued by the RAZR.

It would be nice if VZW would figure a way to port wireless sync over to the RAZR. If I could wireless sync from Outlook, the RAZR would do a lot of what I need - phone first, then contacts, then email (just viewing, typing isn't critical), then calendar, then web (wap is enuff - even when I had EVDO, viewing html pages on a postage stamp ain't worth much).
    Not quite as pretty, but the various MS smartphones will give you the "phone first, PDA second" functionality you seem to require, while still giving you plenty of room to grow and stream your mp3's, do GPS navigation and watch your dvd's.

Surur
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Had an i730. Woefully ineffective as a phone first device. It can do a ton of stuff, but it doesn't do anything easily. EVERYTHING is a job, even phone calls.

As to mp3, GPS and DVD - I just don't care. They have nothing to do with why I carry a phone.

As to the folks above who can't bear the thought of making trade offs - I have no problem with that approach, but you're going to have to carry a bigger brick. I'm looking for a smaller brick that performs my mission critical functions. I will ditch a function if it is not critical and if it makes the brick smaller.
    Last edited by jstpa; 12/31/2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Why not a razr? That's like asking why not get a motorcycle instead of an suv. They are not even close to the same thing. At all.
    The Samsung i730 is a pda-phone. The Qtek 8310 is a smartphone. Big difference.

Notice the numeric keypad. Notice the size of the text and icons. No touch screen. No Pocket Office. As I've said, its a more limited solution for people who want a phone first, and were data retrieval is much more important than data entry.
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...rnado-en.shtml

Surur
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The Samsung i730 is a pda-phone. The Qtek 8310 is a smartphone. Big difference.
    Notice the numeric keypad. Notice the size of the text and icons. No touch screen. No Pocket Office. As I've said, its a more limited solution for people who want a phone first, and were data retrieval is much more important than data entry....Surur
    Interesting thought, but I don't see any smartphones on VZW. I'm stuck with them.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    Why not a razr? That's like asking why not get a motorcycle instead of an suv. They are not even close to the same thing. At all.
    The point being?
    If the device functions the way you need it, then go for it.

Since RAZR is primarily a phone with extra functions in it and you are satisfied with its use for simple phone functions or Personal Info management or email. Nothing complex, no add ons, have no need to use it as device to connect to your corporate systems, no need to read email attachments or even change it and send it back, no need to view movies, no need to sync up contact information, appointments, no need to add new games or change MP3 music, no need to bring lots of information. I guess, why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    With the exception of being an MP3 player, the rest are rarely used by most Treo owners, especially streaming music and satellite navigation.
    The bottom line is that a Treo is a PDA, a RAZR is not but it is a good phone for people who need a little more than a phone and basic organizer functions.
    WRONG
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    This is dumb. why r we talking about this? This is like comparing a BMW 745i vs a Lincoln Town Car, Gucci to Gap or any other inferior comparison. The Treo is better period.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast