Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    With the exception of being an MP3 player, the rest are rarely used by most Treo owners, especially streaming music and satellite navigation.
    Sorry to disagree with Franko, but slinky is right. The vast majority of Treo owners doesn't have a clue that the Treo can do all this. That may change as awareness increases but I'd guess that 90% of all Treo owners don't know anything about TomTom and pTunes, and (my guess) at least 30% don't even have an SD card, so they wouldn't know about the MP3 features.

Having said that, these people still decided to get a Treo over a RAZR, so mgauss' argument is just comical.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Sorry to disagree with Franko, but slinky is right. The vast majority of Treo owners doesn't have a clue that the Treo can do all this. That may change as awareness increases but I'd guess that 90% of all Treo owners don't know anything about TomTom and pTunes.
    Saying that probably makes you feel more 1337 , but I believe most Treo owners ( >75% ) are upgrading from POS PDA's. Unless POS users are greviously uninformed I assume most have a passing knowledge of the capabilities of their devices, especially in terms of games, media and probably even the potential for navigation.

at least 30% don't even have an SD card, so they wouldn't know about the MP3 features.
    Didnt all Treo buyers get a 128Mb SD card last year from Palm?

Having said that, these people still decided to get a Treo over a RAZR, so mgauss' argument is just comical.
    I'm sure Treo owners have a much higher percentage of geeks than the general population. Otherwise, why buy a more expensive, more ugly phone that needs extra software just to work OK?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Saying that probably makes you feel more 1337 , but I believe most Treo owners ( >75% ) are upgrading from POS PDA's. Unless POS users are greviously uninformed I assume most have a passing knowledge of the capabilities of their devices, especially in terms of games, media and probably even the potential for navigation.
    ??? I'm not saying this to make me feel any better. It's based on about 30 people I know that use Treos. It's a small sample, for sure, but some upgraded from older (pre-OS5) PDAs and had NO CLUE about TomTom or pTunes specifically until I told them. MOST of them still don't care about TomTom or pTunes even after hearing about them. NONE of them have registered at Treocentral. Their needs are served by their small circle of killer apps and the phone works perfectly for them AS IS.

I'm sure Treo owners have a much higher percentage of geeks than the general population. Otherwise, why buy a more expensive, more ugly phone that needs extra software just to work OK?

Surur
    I don't think you have ANY understanding of what motivates the AVERAGE Treo user. Higher percentage of geeks? Sure. But it's still a small percentage of the overall Treo population. What's the ACTIVE membership count at TC.com? How many Treos have been sold over the last two years?

My kid's pediatrician got his just for the mobile PDR software. He doesn't need or want anything else.

Again, most of the Treo users I know don't care about anything more than their one or two killer apps. None of these users are 'geeks'. The killer app IS the difference between the Treo and other phones. It's the best combination of phone and features for them.

Most of them DO NOT consider it ugly and don't have ANY extra software to make it work 'OK'. (again, they only want one or two apps and don't care to have any more).

Even Ed Colligan said himself that he only has 5-6 3rd party apps in an interview a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    No I like it when my 7 ounce Treo pushes my pants down and I have do lift them up almost every time the device resets. After walking 10 steps with the weight on I look like the nerd whose pants are falling down. Its like we need internal invisible suspenders. Or a gun holster.
    If you like that, stick with the Treo. Otherwise, the RAZR is for YOU.
    I dont want to come of as attacking you or the Treo. Its just that there are prettier phones that work better as phones. People use these devices for a reason. Your friend using his as a text book is actually proves the point. If he was not a geek he would be carrying a small textbook in his coat pocket. I'm sure he knows he can play games on it, but is just not interested. I hope this pictograph will explain it to you.

Just owning a Treo makes you more of a geek than any cellphone user, and even more than a PDA user. Just because only 1% register on TreoCentral does not make the rest drooling Cletusses.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    I really hated to ditch my Treo but I did on Monday for a Verizon Razr. I was tired of paying the additional $45 a month for data, spending tons of money on software and then hours of frustration trying to get all of the software to work properly. I can connect with my laptop using the phone and surf the net. I purchased a Palm T/X for the contact data and Tom Tom Nav 5. I really didn't want to go to 2 devices but was just tired of all of the problems. Bluetooth actually works on this phone. My Sony HBH-662 still has the annoying beep on connection and hangup. Voice Dial (same program as on Treo) actually works better on the Razr. You can hear the commands through the B/T headset, activate voice dial by pressing the button on the headset and the name recognition seems to work better, etc. I want to thank TC for all of your help. I don't know how Treo owners get by without this forum. I'll still be checking back for the latest news.

Thanks.
    Yes, I did notice BT works really well on the RAZR. But I need a real smartphone again and the RAZR just isn't it. I now have a PDA too until I can get another smartphone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Surur, I still belong at the bottom of your photo even though I have a Treo and now other devices. Tech Incompetent Masses(maybe Cell Phone Owner since I had several of them). I haven't really mastered any of the smart devices, I just own them. I am just now trying to make full use of them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Trust me, if you are on TreoCentral you are part of the Golden Top

Surur
    Well...

Saying that probably makes you feel more 1337 , but I believe most Treo owners ( >75% ) are upgrading from POS PDA's. Unless POS users are greviously uninformed I assume most have a passing knowledge of the capabilities of their devices, especially in terms of games, media and probably even the potential for navigation. The Treo is now being mass marketed, not necessarily true that almost everyone was a former Palm OS PDA owner. I do own a Palm Vx though, but barely used it. It's still around here somewhere.

I'm sure Treo owners have a much higher percentage of geeks than the general population. Otherwise, why buy a more expensive, more ugly phone that needs extra software just to work OK? Read above. And the Treo looks GOOD to me for a PDA phone, even better than the K-Jam which I want. Most who bought the Treo needed the functionality for their profession or school work. I wouldn't call them all geeks necessarily. I was going to get another regular cell phone until I saw the PDA features of the 650. Made me love Palm OS all over again! But I don't know if I can be called a tech geek because I still never mastered it.

Surur

??? I'm not saying this to make me feel any better. It's based on about 30 people I know that use Treos. It's a small sample, for sure, but some upgraded from older (pre-OS5) PDAs and had NO CLUE about TomTom or pTunes specifically until I told them. MOST of them still don't care about TomTom or pTunes even after hearing about them. NONE of them have registered at Treocentral. Their needs are served by their small circle of killer apps and the phone works perfectly for them AS IS.

I don't think you have ANY understanding of what motivates the AVERAGE Treo user. Higher percentage of geeks? Sure. But it's still a small percentage of the overall Treo population. What's the ACTIVE membership count at TC.com? How many Treos have been sold over the last two years?

My kid's pediatrician got his just for the mobile PDR software. He doesn't need or want anything else.

Again, most of the Treo users I know don't care about anything more than their one or two killer apps. None of these users are 'geeks'. The killer app IS the difference between the Treo and other phones. It's the best combination of phone and features for them.

Most of them DO NOT consider it ugly and don't have ANY extra software to make it work 'OK'. (again, they only want one or two apps and don't care to have any more).

Even Ed Colligan said himself that he only has 5-6 3rd party apps in an interview a while back.
    I knew about nothing extra for the Treo until I got on here. I don't think I was even going to use the SD slot. I was going to use AS IS and still do most of the time. But thank goodness for this site!! Now I know not only about how to expand the Treo but other devices as well!

You know what, the last few days I've been having this internal struggle as to what to do. I recently purchased a tablet pc. And with wi fi being everywhere, suddenly my treo isn't as useful as it had been in the past. I haven't even bothered to check my email on my phone in over a week.
    This coupled with the daily resets (at least 4-5 day, that I know of) and I'm really intrested in a new phone, one that actually functions well as a phone. Yet I still don't see anything out there that serves a happy medium between a powerful smart phone, and just a regular mobile phone. The razor or the blade are nice, but without outlook sync its not as attractive as it should be. Ah, the touch decisions in life.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandezjc11
    You know what, the last few days I've been having this internal struggle as to what to do. I recently purchased a tablet pc. And with wi fi being everywhere, suddenly my treo isn't as useful as it had been in the past. I haven't even bothered to check my email on my phone in over a week.
    This coupled with the daily resets (at least 4-5 day, that I know of) and I'm really intrested in a new phone, one that actually functions well as a phone. Yet I still don't see anything out there that serves a happy medium between a powerful smart phone, and just a regular mobile phone. The razor or the blade are nice, but without outlook sync its not as attractive as it should be. Ah, the touch decisions in life.
    Have had a IBM x 41t since b4 xmas with EVDO connection card and have found I don't use the Treo as much. Purchased a Samsung A900 (less than $50 after they matched a PCSpromotions deal) for use as a "phone". Use the Treo just for notification of emails I recieve and quick reponses when needed.

For the internet on the road Nothing better than a nice 10 inch screen and outlook 12 for sending, receiving email and viewing the web

(have also just recieved PPC 6700 to try, but Not a big fan, will probaly take it back)
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandezjc11

Well I made the switch to a Razr and a Palm T/X last week. I'm not regretting the decision at all. I love being able to check my email on the palm with the big screen. In the DC metro area there are tons of places you can connect free. I can connect my laptop to the internet through the bluetooth connection on my phone. I'm saving $45 a month on a data connection, bluetooth on the phone works great with a headset, and I'm not constantly worrying about moving applications back and forth to the memory card on the Palm with 100mb of internal memory. I don't miss all of the resets on the Treo.

I loved the Treo while I had it but it was consuming too much of my spare time trying to get the thing running properly. It would have consumed all of my time if I had not found this forum at TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    Can you watch ripped DVD's on the RAZR?
    can you listen to podcasts or streaming music on the razr?
    can you use it as a 2GB mp3 player?
    can you do turn by turn navigation on the razr?

no, but does the treo come in pink?
    damn, have i been looking good ever since christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    I'm saving $45 a month on a data connection
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't using bluetooth DUN to connect to the Internet connect through the data network???? I know it does on Sprint. So you get free internet simply because you don't have a smartphone???

Seems to me that either you're going to get a HUGE data usage bill, or this is a loophole that your provider will fix, eventually. Because you're still using the data network. You're just not being charged for it.....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    I like the palm tx, but don't know if i could ever go back to carrying a cell phone, a palm pilot (or pocket pc for that matter) and my tablet pc. I've definetly been spoiled by having a smart phone.
    Been thinking of moving over to a blackberry. I really like the blade though. Just wished it had outlook sync ablity. If i went with the a900, then i would probably get a planner. And oh God, the thought of using pen and paper scares me. Maybe something nice will come out in a couple months. I do now that the resets are driving me up the wall. I even did a hard reset, and only installed butler and scrabble. Still the resets. Sigh.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123