Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][b]I was only speaking of features in terms of Treo trumper. The form factor of the Treo beats all! And the screen resolution.
    While this is true...there really is no treo-trumper (or killer or whatever else we want to call it. )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It depends on how heavily features are important. I hate to say it, but the Treo had been trumped by i-mate models. Built-in wi-fi, a lot more memory, and push email for those who need it on the newer models.

Even you had to move to another phone, which may mean the Treo is missing something feature-wise. Your phone is aka the PDA2k, yet another i-mate model.

I do have to say I like the Treo 650 form factor better than all i-mate models. If only the Treo had a little more than what it came with. Or i-mate made Palm OS phones too(wouldn't that be great!).
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/27/2005 at 05:00 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It depends on how heavily features are important. I hate to say it, but the Treo had been trumped by i-mate models. Built-in wi-fi, a lot more memory, and push email for those who need it on the newer models.
    I don't think there is much of an argument about that.

Even you had to move to another phone, which may mean the Treo is missing something feature-wise. Your phone is aka the PDA2k, yet another i-mate model.
    The 650 wasn't worth it to me to upgrade and I couldn't keep waiting for the mysterious 700p. (Sorry Perry )

I do have to say I like the Treo 650 form factor better than all i-mate models. If only the Treo had a little more than what it came with. Or i-mate made Palm OS phones too(wouldn't that be great!).
    The form factor is what keeps us liking the treo's. But that can only carry you so far. When other phones come out with gps, wifi, evdo, better cameras, etc....it's hard to hold onto simply the form factor.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

No keyboard. No touch screen AND a less intuitive interface? I dunno. The one handed use of my T650, as far as usability, really seems to make it a better device.

That's what I keep feeling everytime someone shows us a new device. You either have to trade off screen res, or trade off one handed operation or trade off touch screen. These all add up to a device which I simply wont use as efficiently.

True the, T650 isn't perfect. But at the end of the day, I get a lot done on it that I'd never do on a T9 blitzing thru menu after menu. And I'm not gonna bust out a two handed device or a stylus while driving.

I've been tempted by devices that only trade one thing. Like the 6700. Nice implementation, but I don't wanna use both hands. 700w- why do I have to pay to lose screen res?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for a reason to get a new device. At over a year old, my T650 is a bit the worse for wear. But I haven't been wow'ed yet.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I'll make a few comments and won't quote since they span several posts:

1) Two handed Keyboard: This is no big deal and initially thought it was. If the implementation is good, then just a few buttons including a 5 way can allow you to do almost anything. The majority of times I'll need two handed use of the keyboard anyways as it's almost always the case when I'm doing any sort of text entry. This is a lesser issue than it seems.

2) Durability of Sliding Mechanism: I personally don't like the thought of the wear and tear issue although some say that when built properly, it should work for the life of your unit and other areas will deteriorate first. On the bright side it also protects the keyboard and allowing better add-on casing.

3) Usability of the keyboard: Here is the dealbreaker. My brother was given a few phones to try out, one the Samsung that he likes with WiFi and the pullout keyboard. The feel is poor and not good enough to perform routine email tasks without difficult. The K-JAM, on the other hand, did not feel as comfortable as the Treo but that might require time getting used to the space between keys too!

4) Side Keyboard: I'm not happy looking landscape at email since I prefer more vertical appearance but with higher resolution it's really a toss up between this and the small square that the Treo can provide. While simply checking email and typing is more simple with the Treo, this is the trade off and you have to decide what is worth it to you. With the huge screen, I'd argue that it's worth it unless you are using the unit as a Blackberry equivalent. Only then when you need to incessantly type quick emails would the keyboard on top design make more practical use, although at some cost.

5) K-9 Type: In theory it's great. Using it once with an i-600 for 8 months will allow me to say with great conviction that it is NOT a practical method of use unless you are typing very few emails. It takes getting used to but it's just not time efficient at all. No more K-9 for me.

6) EVDO: Web browsing on a Palm sucks so badly that it's an insult to things that just suck. It's probably nice to have and will zip emails faster but unless the OS in the unit (and processor) are capable of having a better web browser, even this is not as important. No doubt it will be part of any new phone anyways. If the rumored "700p" still has the old OS then EVDO will be of much lesser consequence.

7) WiFi: Regardless of whether you use it, I think that anyone who has been on Verizon's network will demand it. Verizon is raping blind it's legacy phone users and insulting them by charging them the same as new EVDO customers. For anyone questioning their use of WiFi, think of it as a necessary safety catch to deal with a potential spike in the cost of your Internet usage. I wouldn't touch the 700w unless I knew how well WiFi was implemented and what it really will cost me.

8) The more I look at the 700w, the less I'm impressed enough to consider upgrading at this time. It's certainly a "cool" new phone but the problem is that it's immediately somewhat dated and will feel -- at least to me -- like a new toy that will wear off soon. While it seems that the internal system RAM issue might not be a problem, the WiFi problem still exists since you can't use your WiFi SD card for MP3s, etc. So if you want to use the phone as your all in one device, sure you can fit your basic apps in there but anything more will come at the complete cost of WiFi. I'm skeptical of Palm's first generation issue of this phone and while it may be reasonable, I'm expecting to see problems and issues that will be resolved by the time the next and far superior phone is announced. I'm also not convinced that EVDO is a necessity until the browser issues are addressed.

So in conclusion is there a Treo killer? I don't think so... yet. But there certainly are better choices. What I think it's important to address here is not that the Treo has been pummeled but that the Treo -- which used to do the pummeling -- has now been clearly surpassed and its new models do nothing more than swim at the same pace but looking forward at market leaders. I wonder what the next stage might indicate and Palm's announcements don't exactly overwhelm me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12