Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you guys think? This phone seems to have EVERYTHING.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=834
    It's not a PDA. I don't really need to surf the web on my Treo, and if I want web surfing, I use my laptop or a desktop. It's the combo of Palm PDA and phone that really rocks. No PDA means no medical database software, no medical prescribing software, no medical textbook software, etc. I have no particular use for a web-surfing phone, so I wouldn't get this Nokia item.
    -- josh
    Eh. I'll go with a Treo 700 before I go with that. I'm looking for smaller yet still functional... Not larger with slightly broader function.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84

They forgot the camera
    They forgot the headphone jack
    They forgot the stubby antenna
    They forgot the PDA
    Looks like it would work for people looking for BB compatibility and not looking for camera. It has Wifi and has more memory.
    You're right mostly, jwein84, except for a camera -which is a plus for many.

Of course it's a PDA, and Symbian, like WinMobile, bundles full functionality right out of the box. For one, it looks like it comes Blackberry- and Good-ready and compatibility with Outlook and Lotus Notes. I did see one or two design issues, but here's a link with a demo, video, features, and specs so you can see for yourselves -those of you who are open to it, that is: http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,81718,00.html

The problem is that it's not even available in Europe until the first quarter, and that's a maybe-2006 for the US. The 9300 has been "Coming Soon" here for at least a quarter.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84

They forgot the camera
    They forgot the headphone jack
    They forgot the stubby antenna
    They forgot the PDA
    Not only did they forget the above including the integrated PDA
    They forgot the touchscreen digitizer AND the screen is actually smaller too...

See the side by side comparison of features. compliments of onmymarc, above.
    Aside from it being so wide I think it looks hot.
    The chart is very helpful, although not flattering to the Treo. I read the E61 is about 20 percent lighter, has more than twice as much memory and several more bold Yes's than the Treo's. Again, the E61 does have an integrated PDA and Symbian's PDA is superior to the standard Treo offering. Also, the reason it doesn't have a 2.5 headphone jack is because it has a Nokia Pop-Port which you can read about here:
    http://www.headsetzone.com/nokia-pop-port.html
    If interested, you can see in the demo in the link I provided above that the Pop-Port is on the lower suface of the device.

Wouldn't it be great if the new Treos came out with some more Yes's, especially say a serious memory increase and voice-activated dialing? I'd definitely prefer that they save some $$ dropping a lame camera and apply it to adding or improving on useful professional functionality. Also, aren't most newer cutting-edge devices losing the external antennas? (BTW, Big OTR fan, that is a great photo in your avatar)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    No touch screen???

Big, BIG mistake.

I'd say about 25% of the calls I make on the road ARE NOT in my contacts list.

How is one to pound away at those itsy-bitsy buttons while on the road (or parked for that matter)???

Major academic snafu here IMO.
    Then should this be labeled as BB Killer? It seems to be targeting more of BB current devices.
    What do you think about Nokia E70 (same sw but different hw design than the E61)?

A part of the lack of touch screen, a good 3rd party sw coverage (compared to WM, Symbian UIQ and off course Palm OS) and MiniSD expantion slot it seems to have great features.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I don't see the E70 catching on very much, at least not here. Maybe it is popular overseas? The is does look nice though, and that will attract alot of people if it gets to market in a reasonable amount of time. I don't think it will be a Blackberry killer though.
    No touch screen, no sale.
    No touch screen
    That thing looks huge
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    What do you think about Nokia E70 (same sw but different hw design than the E61)?

A part of the lack of touch screen, a good 3rd party sw coverage (compared to WM, Symbian UIQ and off course Palm OS) and MiniSD expantion slot it seems to have great features.
    two handed operation for keyboard
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    two handed operation for keyboard
    And it's fugly as well.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No touch screen
    That thing looks huge
    Yet, no touch screen means it'll be even more one-handable. Also, it's only .4 cm/.15" taller (though it's shorter if you count the Treo antenna), and 1.07 cm/.42" wider, but also .9 cm/.35" thinner, and 44g/1.55 oz lighter. So it's mostly a little wider, a little thinner, and significantly lighter. If and when we see this, some will prefer or take these trade-offs, especially if this loaded device is stable and everything works the way its supposed to.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I just saw over on EngadgetMobile that the E61 has gotten FCC approval. I actually think this is going to be a great device. I don't feel that its going to be a Treo-Killer or a BB-Killer. I think its going to fall somewhere in between the BB and the Treo. I don't know how familar people around here on TC are with Symbian, I have used several phones from the 3650 and the 6620 and the 6682. The one thing that always impressed me with Symbian was its level of customization and usability. Another big thing that Symbian had was great specs I don't remember exactly but I think the one phone I had was only 200mhz but it was just a phone, it also had 32 megs of ram, that 28 was available to the user. The applications that I was able to run on it were impressive for something that was just a phone. I used the built in MP3 player to play mp3's through a bluetooth headset, I downloaded emulators that let me play Genesis, SNES and NES on the phone, the nice thing was, I didn't need to hack it or run an app like UDMH. They ran so smooth, almost perfect actually. I could play entire games like Zelda for SNES, Sonic and Star Fox at full speed! What impressed me was the N-Gage had similar specs to the phones that I was running and though it wasn't quite legal there were ways to load N-Gage games onto them and actually play them. It was great how easy it was to do things on it. There are almost as many apps and developers out there for Symbian as there are for Palm. Any type of app that you desire you can find.

The ability to use themes was always one of my favorite features of Symbian. Nokia was real smart when they set it up, The themes changed colors and buttons and icons in the menus, but depending on the theme you used it didn't lessen the ease of use. Nokia in my opinion has on of the best implementations of Bluetooth that I have ever used as well.

Probably my favorite thing about Symbian phones I have used has got to be its connectivity. There is darn near a full version of Opera that is written for Symbian and just about everything that you can do on the desktop this version allows you to do. The small screen rendering that it had was awesome. Its not like our Opera Mini for the Treo, no it was a full browser. I didn't find any sites that I couldn't visit using it. As far as speed, it was great. Of course your other style of apps were there to, a built in email client that was simple, but had all the features that were needed. I used the built in, but there were lots of programs out there, just like for palm. And of course you had your IM applications, I used Agile Messenger on mine and it was fantastic, it always stayed connected and was almost as instantaneous as on a desktop.

Well I rambled enough, if this device came to Verizon I would pick one up as my second phone, I will never part with my Treo, but a device like this definatly has its uses. Anyone that knows Nokia, durability and ease of use. Well I just wanted to ad my measly .02.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast