Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    From conversations with network engineers at Sprint and VZW, I'm fairly confident in saying that EVDO Rev A will require hardware upgrades. This is based mostly on the fact that Qualcomm hadn't even released a Rev A chipset for devices until well after the chipsets were placed in the current crop of EVDO rev 0 units.

Over the course of the next year, we may see devices that are 'forward compatible' using the new chipsets, but the 6700 is not one of them in its current form.
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority.
    You should be able to click on phone numbers in PIE like you can with Blazer. I'm sure that someone will come out with a replacement browser in a couple of months that will bring that functionality to the 6700.
  3.    #143  
    Ya, it should be an easy thing to do since the email client already recognizes phone numbers and can initiate a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    From conversations with network engineers at Sprint and VZW, I'm fairly confident in saying that EVDO Rev A will require hardware upgrades. This is based mostly on the fact that Qualcomm hadn't even released a Rev A chipset for devices until well after the chipsets were placed in the current crop of EVDO rev 0 units.

Over the course of the next year, we may see devices that are 'forward compatible' using the new chipsets, but the 6700 is not one of them in its current form.
    Thanks Indicator. That sounds accurate, based on what I've read.

I found a number of articles on this subject, some more interesting & thorough than others. The one that seemed to be the best overview is from telecoms.com, called Revision of the Vision (free registration required).

-Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Okay here's one.

How's the PPC-6700 vibrate? I am totally deaf so I need the vibrate to alert me to new mails and SMS's.

Strength of it especially, the 600 is anemic
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Okay here's one.

How's the PPC-6700 vibrate? I am totally deaf so I need the vibrate to alert me to new mails and SMS's.

Not very strong, but not as bad as the 600. That thing was really weak. Just go into a Sprint store and test one for yourself.
  7.    #147  
    Okay here's one.

Its been my experiance that the strength of the vibration depends greatly on the case you carry it in.

Also to help out there are clips that vibrate http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ing+phone+clip
    Actually, I find the vibrate to be obnoxiously strong. Your best bet would be to try one out at a Sprint store - this is pretty subjective.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I don't have this device, but because you are all experienced PPC users, I figured I'd ask anyway.

Do you have any good memory management tips and/or programs? I look at my program memory, and often have 6-10 programs running and I'm not even using them, so I have to keep shutting them down manually! How can I install anything new without killing the RAM(this is the cheapo device I'm talking about)? I'm tired of programs running even though I exit them. I think this may be draining the battery too. Or maybe I just need a new battery, but the thing is only 1 month old .They weren't kidding when they warned about bad battery life with WM5! I can't install anything new until I know for sure how to manage the program memory. I want to install at least 3 new programs that probably should be on the device, not the card.

Also when you install new programs, they go in ROM? Sorry, had to ask to be sure.

Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I use SPB Pocket Plus. It has the option to close, minimize, or close all. Plus you can assign a hard button for those functions.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    That's one of the programs I was thinking of. Did you install on the device, or the card? That was one that I thought would have to go on the device. That and Resco File Explorer. But will they eat all my RAM? There is not a lot left, even after shutting down all those running programs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I look at my program memory, and often have 6-10 programs running and I'm not even using them, so I have to keep shutting them down manually! How can I install anything new without killing the RAM(this is the cheapo device I'm talking about)? I'm tired of programs running even though I exit them.
    I use magic button to shut down programs. Its free and its pretty small.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I don't have this device, but because you are all experienced PPC users, I figured I'd ask anyway.

Do you have any good memory management tips and/or programs? I look at my program memory, and often have 6-10 programs running and I'm not even using them, so I have to keep shutting them down manually! How can I install anything new without killing the RAM(this is the cheapo device I'm talking about)? I'm tired of programs running even though I exit them. I think this may be draining the battery too. Or maybe I just need a new battery, but the thing is only 1 month old .They weren't kidding when they warned about bad battery life with WM5! I can't install anything new until I know for sure how to manage the program memory. I want to install at least 3 new programs that probably should be on the device, not the card.

Also when you install new programs, they go in ROM? Sorry, had to ask to be sure.

Thanks!
    In WM5 you have one type of memory and three types of storage: The memory is program memory, which is exactly like RAM on your desktop PC. This is only consumed by programs that are running. The storage types are: 1) ROM -this is inaccessible to you for program installation 2) Storage card - most programs can be installed here, the ones you shouldn't are things like Today screen plug-ins or other system-level utilities, and 3) Storage memory (unfortunately named since the name adds to the confusion you're experiencing) - this is where installed apps (that aren't on the card) go. Even programs that are installed to the card will sometimes install required components to this storage memory such as dll's.

The only things that eat battery (on your device) are the screen, processor, and any radios like WiFi or Bluetooth. Apps that are running shouldn't cause any battery drain unless they are using one of the radios (to connect to the Internet, for example) or are causing the processor to run at a higher clock cycle. The processors in most WM devices (as well as the Treo) are able to scale their speed to meet demand. If an app is demanding a lot of CPU cycles, it will drain the battery faster. This would be quite rare, though.

I believe that Windows Mobile will actually close apps automatically to free memory when needed, but as mentioned previously there are a number of task managers out there - many of which are free - that allow you to manually close running apps. I use WisBar Advanced which shows me the running app icons in the menubar and allows me to simply tap and hold to close them.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  14.    #154  
    Yes as far as my 6700 goes, I install programs in ROM or of course on the card. The memory allocated for running programs is RAM. At least that's what I remember when I read info on this device.

I am also using magic button. Its free and shows icons at the top of the screen to let you know what programs are running. To close a single program tap and hold its icon and choose close. I have had it since the get go but if I remember right most of the time I didn't have a close button at the top of an app, just an OK button,,, well now with magic button most of them are " X " so that I may tap and close them. To close all or close all but running tap and hold the home icon.

Mort runner is another free task manager/launcher. The difference is it will let you assign buttons to toggle between running applications and closing applications. I tried it but didn't like the idea of taking up hard buttons to accomplish what I could easily do with a few taps of the screen.

Also unless you just happen to have a lot of ROM when I was trying out Resco Explorer I ran it from the card.

I also only used it on the card with palm.

I have yet to find much of anything that can't go on the card.

What I would like to know is how do you move a program? I had SBP Finance on the card and decided to move it to internal to see if it would run faster and it gave error messages so I uninstalled and reinstalled to internal. Originally I tried moving it by copying the SBP folder from program files on the card to program files on internal.
  15.    #155  
    Well it took me 2 hours to type that post up in 1 minute increments every 30 minutes while getting the babies ready and getting out the door. It looks like Phurth typed up more accurate info by the time I hit post reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    What I would like to know is how do you move a program? I had SBP Finance on the card and decided to move it to internal to see if it would run faster and it gave error messages so I uninstalled and reinstalled to internal. Originally I tried moving it by copying the SBP folder from program files on the card to program files on internal.
    You hit upon the only solution... uninstall/reinstall. Installation writes lots of pointers to the registry - if you just move the app the pointers will point to a location that no longer exists.
    Dumb questions, but I need to know.
    Today screen plug-ins will go into storage memory if I install them on the device? And how much RAM will they eat? I have very little left. Surur's "OMG they killed the 700w" post is what MY cheap device looks like(I'm getting a better one)!
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102485

Which side on the memory screen should I watch for installed programs taking up space, the left or right? I was hoping the left because there is more room and that looks like the storage side. Thanks for any help!

It's also good to know Resco can be run off the card. Thanks Tem!

Dumb questions, but I need to know.
    Today screen plug-ins will go into storage memory if I install them on the device? And how much RAM will they eat? I have very little left. Surur's "OMG they killed the 700w" post is what MY cheap device looks like(I'm getting a better one)!
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102485
    They get installed in Storage Memory (or should, for performance reasons, anyway), but consume Program Memory (RAM) only while running. How much RAM depends upon the particular plug-in. You can use a utility like MemMaid to see how much RAM your apps are using.
    Which side on the memory screen should I watch for installed programs taking up space, the left or right? I was hoping the left because there is more room and that looks like the storage side. Thanks for any help!
    The left side is storage and is analogous to hard drive space on your PC. The right side is program and is analogous to RAM on your PC. Installed programs will consume the space on the left just by being installed. They will only impact the right side while actually running.
    Thanks Phurth! I better stock up on more 1 gig cards. But you're sure all Today screen plug-ins need to be on the device? Like these: SBSH PocketBreeze 5
    Spb Pocket Plus 3.0
    SBSH PocketWeather

And does that include background changes? I found some cool color themes.

Also, I found MemMaid, will it work from the card? Also what about Battery Pack Pro? It's supposed to do all MemMaid and I think Pocket Plus does.

Another question, my card is inserted but there seemed to be no request that I format it first. What should I do from there? The card was used on another device first, I should add.

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions!

Thanks Phurth! I better stock up on more 1 gig cards. But you're sure all Today screen plug-ins need to be on the device? Like these: SBSH PocketBreeze 5
    Spb Pocket Plus 3.0
    SBSH PocketWeather
    I would never install a Today screen plug-in on the SD card (at least not with WM5). You can certainly try, and if there is too much of a slow-down you can always uninstall and reinstall to your storage memory.
    And does that include background changes? I found some cool color themes.
    Themes can be installed to the My Documents directory on the SD card (I think... at least it worked with WM2003 - I haven't tried it with WM5 yet).
    Also, I found MemMaid, will it work from the card?
    I believe so - check out the Dinarsoft support forum to be sure, though.
    Also what about Battery Pack Pro? It's supposed to do all MemMaid and I think Pocket Plus does.
    I thought Battery Pack Pro was a Today plug-in... if so, my above-mentioned caveat applies. I don't think BPP does everything the other two apps do, though I could be wrong about that as I don't use it.
    Another question, my card is inserted but there seemed to be no request that I format it first. What should I do from there? The card was used on another device first, I should add.
    The card likely doesn't need to be formatted. It might be a good idea to do so, however. I'm not sure how you'd do this in WM5 without 3rd party software. You can use MemMaid, Resco Explorer, or Total Commander (free) to format it.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast