Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Question about mortsaver, Its seems to prevent Q'15 min retrieval of email,,,, is that normal?
    I've found scheduled retrieval of e-mail to be ify whether Mortsaver is active or not. I do usually get scheduled retrieval even with MortSaver enabled, though.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    http://www.vijay555.com/index.php?Re...PhoneShortcuts

Check this guy's software out. There's a treasure trove of stuff. For example the link above is to a set of small links you can install that will allow you to launch the speed dial or call history screens or will allow you to turn the speakerphone on or off. Cool stuff!

Oh, and it's all donationware.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  3.    #103  
    I just got done trying different settings with mortsaver and it looks like if I select "Turn off device...", "Turn of device if lock....." or the 3rd one "Activate mortsaver every time....", those options stop me from getting email when Mort is active I guess because the device is off.

OK,,, Im an *****, I didnt know I couldnt get email when the device was off. So I guess I have had the device off most of the time.

So If I want to be able to get alerted to email I have to activate mortsaver manually now. I did have it set to activate itself when ever the device is switched on but I cant choose that 3rd option unless I also choose the 2nd option "Turn off device if lock is not removed...."

Or can I map mortsaver to the power button?

Also is it less secure to go with the MortSaver device on/screen off option. I dont want it to accidentally launch apps. That was a mojor issue with the treo because I use a tight pouch case.
    Or can I map mortsaver to the power button?

Also is it less secure to go with the MortSaver device on/screen off option. I dont want it to accidentally launch apps. That was a mojor issue with the treo because I use a tight pouch case.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $power$ $button$ $mapping$ $can$'$t$ $be$ $changed$. $I$ $mapped$ $Mortsaver$ $to$ $the$ $record$ $button$. $Once$ $activated$ $it$ $will$ $not$ $allow$ $any$ $buttons$ $to$ $launch$ $apps$.
  5.    #105  
    So do you have mortsaver set to deactivate the device or just the screen.

I have the sound in settings on for button presses and I hear the joystick go click click click click click click continuously when in the case.

It looks like I have to choose between registered button presses or receiving email. At least until penguin at pocketmax is finished with ScreenGuard.
    I am close to pulling the trigger on a switch from the Treo600 to PPC6700. I have (at least) these questions, which I'd really appreciate your advice on:

What about resolution for video--any issues? Do you encode at 240x240?

Any one tried streaming video from their PC--any issues?

Battery life is obviously a problem, but how bad? Can you make thru the day on a single charge with, say, 1 hour of talk time & 3 hours of PDA time?

Anyone know of a firewall program for WM5? What about AV?

Thanks a lot, Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    I am close to pulling the trigger on a switch from the Treo600 to PPC6700. I have (at least) these questions, which I'd really appreciate your advice on:

What about resolution for video--any issues? Do you encode at 240x240?

Any one tried streaming video from their PC--any issues?

Battery life is obviously a problem, but how bad? Can you make thru the day on a single charge with, say, 1 hour of talk time & 3 hours of PDA time?

Anyone know of a firewall program for WM5? What about AV?

Thanks a lot, Mike
    You can encode at 320x240. I found a good tutorial
    here

You do not need AV or firewall as the number of pda users is small and only few viruses are out there.
  8.    #108  
    I make it through the day just fine on an hour of internet, 10 minuets of talk time and 2 hours of PDA use leaving a 20% charge at the end of my 12 hour day.
    I make it through the day just fine on an hour of internet, 10 minuets of talk time and 2 hours of PDA use leaving a 20% charge at the end of my 12 hour day.
    Is that normal usage for you or do you back it off a little knowing you want to make it home with some amount of charge left?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Be prepared for poor battery life. I love my 6700 but could not use it without a spare battery. I have mine always on Vision and have it set to check e-mail every 15 minutes or so, as well as update weather info. If I'm using the phone for RSS, e-mail or web surfing I only get a half day out of the battery and have to plug in or swap for a fresh one. Two things help make this less of an annoyance though: the included cradle can charge the phone and a spare battery at the same time, and the phone charges from any USB source so any place with a USB port is a potential charging station.

I'm waiting for my extended battery to arrive... hopefully that'll improve things further.
    Thanks a lot for the comments to my questions so far.

Good link on the video encoding! I will have to disagree though with the thought that AV/firewall is not necessary. It may not be a 'problem' now, but I'd prefer not to be the one to have my device wiped out by a worm...and believe me...it WILL happen before too long when you consider the bandwidth to these devices and the fact that they are greatly increasing in popularity--thus making them a more attractive target. At any rate, I'm paranoid and will want to protect my mobile machine. I'll let you know what I end up using.

Also thanks for the advice on the battery life. That is a little frightening to think how quickly it can run through a battery. But I suppose you've got some reasonable solutions in the works. Is the extended battery expensive? And does it fit in the same space as the regular battery?

Thanks again everyone!
    Is the extended battery expensive? And does it fit in the same space as the regular battery?
    Here's the link to the extended battery I bought. I haven't gotten it yet, but I hear it adds about 1/4 inch to the thickness of the phone.

https://www.tessco.com/products/getP....do?sku=470885
    Everyone,

Hope all is well and hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Not to take this thread OT and no disrespect of course to the OP - but I have posted a thread for my 6700 that is for sale in the appropriate thread.

Just a FYI as I will be dumping it onto the open market in a few days.

Regards,
    dolo
    Also thanks for the advice on the battery life. That is a little frightening to think how quickly it can run through a battery. But I suppose you've got some reasonable solutions in the works. Is the extended battery expensive? And does it fit in the same space as the regular battery?

Thanks again everyone!
    One thing to remember is that any mode of transmission, whether Data, IR, BT, Voice, Wifi, etc....will drain the battery of any phone fast. No matter if I had my Treo 600 or my PPC-6600, I use a lot of various kinds of transmissions and I go through batteries like crazy.....as would be expected no matter what phone I have.

My best advice to plan according to your usage. If you don't use BT, IR, only check your email once an hour, have your weather update once a day, make a normal amount of calls.....most phones will last the day. I don't have a 6700, but I do have the 6600, so I am speaking in more general terms of advice.
    I guess if your data and information is really important you might consider an AV. I would be interested to know how many people here using a ppc device are using an AV.

As for streaming media you can use Orb and The Core Pocket Media Player.
    Quote Originally Posted by dolo
    Everyone,

Hope all is well and hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Not to take this thread OT and no disrespect of course to the OP - but I have posted a thread for my 6700 that is for sale in the appropriate thread.

Just a FYI as I will be dumping it onto the open market in a few days.

Regards,
    dolo
    Are you getting one of the GSM versions to replace it? If so, we could use a good comparison between the devices.
    I guess if your data and information is really important you might consider an AV. I would be interested to know how many people here using a ppc device are using an AV.
    I'd be curious too. Actually, I'm more interested in a firewall application than the AV--although both would be advisable IMO. And thanks for the additional streaming video ideas!

Regarding battery life, I can understand it sucking down batteries with a lot of WIFI or Bluetooth activity. I probably wouldn't use WIFI that much during the day. More in the evening at home and I can charge it then.

Today, here's how I use my Treo 600:
    --Maybe an hour of talk time, but usually much less
    --2-3 hours of playing MP3s using PTunes
    --1 hour or so of web surfing and checking email with GoodLink

So essentially, I could use about 5 hours of activity in a day--with a couple of those hours being 'radio' activity--and I never run out of a battery charge in a day. Obviously I'd like to be able to do the same things, if not more, with the 6700. From what you all are saying, I think that I should be OK, especially if I can get in the habit of using the desktop cradle to charge my phone during the day.

With WM5, is it possible to turn off radios that you don't use--i.e. turn off WIFI and Bluetooth when you don't need it--in order to save battery life?

Thanks again, Mike
    With WM5, is it possible to turn off radios that you don't use--i.e. turn off WIFI and Bluetooth when you don't need it--in order to save battery life?
    You can turn off whichever radios you aren't using. In fact, the 6700 can be set to turn off Wifi after a few minutes of no network being detected.

I find that Wifi is indispensible for internal network stuff (anything I can't do over the Internet) - however I find that I actually do not use it very often. Normal 1xRTT (all I get at home) is fast enough for most of my e-mail and web-browsing needs. When I'm in town and get EVDO, Wifi is even less necessary (with the network exception noted above).

Additionally, automated retrieval of e-mail is a pain with Wifi since the phone has to wake up and re-establish its network connection at each retrieval interval. I have my phone set to keep my Vision connection alive all the time (undoubtedly this impacts battery life significantly, but I can live with it).

Thanks again, Mike
    Certainly....WIFI, BT, IR, and the Radio can be turned on or off at will.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Are you getting one of the GSM versions to replace it? If so, we could use a good comparison between the devices.
    You're not going to believe me...I wouldn't have believed myself not too long ago either.

I have switched to the BB 8700c.

It really is a tremendous device.

I know...I know...

lol!

Regards,
    dolo
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast