View Poll Results: Is the new I-Mate K-Jam a Treo Killer?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely is!

12 35.29%
  • No, not at all!

21 61.76%
  • Only if it was in the mainsteam US.

1 2.94%
  1.    #1  
    What's up guys? This is my first post under my new name UHWarrior, I used to be Watervillekid. Times have changed since I used to post on VisorCentral forums and TreoCentral when the Treo 180/270 we're around. I've had a Treo 650 Unlocked GSM since the beginning of the year and absolutely loved it. Since I've moved out to Hawaii for school my Treo has helped me in school and work. I even learned how to put Da Ali G show on it to watch, and it didn't look bad! A few weeks ago my Treo 650 was stolen out of my room while I was sleeping, so the decision has come to purchase a new phone.

I purchased a Sidekick II on Amazon (free after rebate) with a new service contract from T-Mobile. My plan WAS to sell the Sidekick II on ebay (for around $300) and put that $$ towards a new unlocked 650 (around $450) on ebay. Not bad, right?

Well I desperately tried to find a smartphone that was better than the Treo 650 and this was hard to do. In mainstream America the Treo 650 IS the best smartphone available. You can even buy it for $99.99 with an Earthlink Wireless plan!

I decided to check out some european sites and see what was available. I came accross the I-Mate K-Jam, a Windows Mobile 5.0 smartphone with similar dimensions as a Treo 650. It sports wifi, bluetooth, 1.3mp camera, full sliding keyboard and an ENOURMOUS screen.

If we check ebay, we see the K-Jam for over $650-700 dollars. Now I remember paying $850 for my Unlocked 650 when it came out, and over $700 for my Sony Ericsson p900 when it first came out. Is this really what it takes to be one of the first to sport these new phones? I think not.

I found the K-Jam on Amazon.co.uk for under $450 USD! So I decided to order it, only to find that Amazon UK won't ship mobile phones to the US. Then I decided to have it shipped to my brothers girlfriend, whose studying in London until this Thursday, she could bring the phone home for me.

Then I logged on to Expansys UK, and found that they ship to the US. The K-Jam is listed as 441 Euro SHIPPED - which turns out to be $519.00 USD.

So I decided to order the K-Jam and I'm very excited to check it out when it comes. It really does seem to be a Treo Killer! But you guys decide...

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=125518
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ... I wish I had a dime for each Treo Killer
    I know. I couldn't agree more. Is the WM5 easy to use like PALM OS? No! Then sorry. it is DEF NOT a Treo Killer. Many have tried. have fun with the iMate.
    It is a Treo killer in terms of features. It for sure kills the lame 700w. I will be getting the American release of the K-Jam. If you're getting the UK version, I think you'll need to make sure to get a US adapter.

However, I have to agree with Smileyboy about the OS. WM5 does NOT kill the Palm OS. Palm OS is more intuitive.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Uh, I hate to break this to you, but the UK does not use the Euro. The currency over there is the UK pound, which is what the symbol stands for. Big difference. At today's rates, 441.05 UK Pounds (Expansys price to US shipped) equals US$782.60! So, not a great deal.

If you want to pay in Euros, you could look at Expansys' Italian site. But the k-Jam there is priced at 674.95 ( is the sign for the Euro), which is US$807.95. So, also not a great deal.

On top of those prices, you have the import duty the US Customs will probably impose when the package clears customs. DHL will deliver COD and require you to pay the duty.

I hope you can still cancel your order.
    Good point Bram!

Here's some info for the original poster: I wasn't going to order from the UK site, because I think they have only have the European adapter. Mad Monkey has the American version for $739(at least I think that's the US version).

http://www.dweiniger.com/catalog/pro...1a6ec190761c38

That's where I was going to order from because someone else here ordered a Qtek 9100(same thing) from them, and they're American and mentioned no problems with the adapter. If you use Expansys, Expansys US is where Americans should order from, but it isn't selling the K-Jam. But it IS selling the Qtek 9100 for $745:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=124862
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What do you all think of the Motorola Q?

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu$tle
    The Moto Q won't have anything on the Treo 700w... it's nice a thin, but it's unproven.

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    In my opinion the Palm OS is too simple nowadays. Why isn't it capable of multiprocessing? Maybe the new OS will be better but definitely not what's on the 650. Well, that's obviously IMO. Palm also needs to chuck that antennae.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I feel great whenever I see a "treo killer" thread. It reminds me that my treo is the smartphone to beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    ... I wish I had a dime for each Treo Killer
    Man, I would settle for a penny for every Treo 650 reset!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I wish i had 1/10 of a penny for every reset on my stinky i730 - and then maybe 1/5 of a cent for every time the battery ran out on that multiprocessing fool bad boy. Oh, yeah - always at the worst time. And then there was all the other stuff.

I went back to my Treo 600 and I'm happy as a pig in you know what. Without EVDO, without bluetooth and without wifi. Features are nice if they don't get in the way of phone and pda functionality. The "power" of Windows Mobile gets in the way big time - at least pre WM5. WM5 would have to be a MAJOR change to fix that. If it is - never mind.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    My QTek 9100 aka K-Jam is the best converged device I have owned. That being said, I do not believe it is a "Treo Killer". Why? Because the Treo is an absolutely awesome device. If anyone kills the Treo it will be Palm .
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu$tle
    I like the Moto Q. I think it looks like a great phone with WM 5 built in. However it has 1 disqualifying feature.

The Moto Q does not have a touchscreen. Instead it has a jog dial like blackberry (hence the nickname razorberry.) Because of that I just won't have it. Too bad because it's perfect for me otherwise.

The Cingular HTC 8125 is coming out in January and is basically nearly identical to the i-mate k-jam (different look/feel though.)
    If you ask me, yes it is a Treo Killer in terms of it being completely better (and it should be if it comes out a year after Treo 650.) But in terms of is it going to take away substantial market share from Palm Treo? No, I don't think it's going to kill Treo sales so it's not a killer in that respect.

If someone comes out with something like the i-mate k-jam/HTC 8125 with 3G data speed, then yeah it'll blow away everything. But the Palm "Hollywood" is coming out in summer 2006 and will have 3G, so we'll see.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Now the 8125 has definitely been confirmed for January? Because that's the device I've really been waiting for! Otherwise it's unlocked K-Jam at a high price for me. My Cingular store didn't even know the 2125 was out on the website. They have none in stock yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Now the 8125 has definitely been confirmed for January? Because that's the device I've really been waiting for! Otherwise it's unlocked K-Jam at a high price for me. My Cingular store didn't even know the 2125 was out on the website. They have none in stock yet.
    Nothing has been definately confirmed for anything.

However, even back in November the Cingular employees were saying it was delayed til January and that's still what they say. I think it's likely to be January if anything.
    Are these corporate employees? The store employees know nothing. At least in Chicago.

I'm getting conflicting information. Some say B2B will have it before years end (20th or 22nd) and others are saying it'll be available Jan 6th.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...highlight=8125
    Just go to howardforums.com and do a search on '8125' (no quotes) , Check out the threads that come up as matches.
    By the way store sales people are still clueless, don't even bother asking them for a few weeks. They don't know and don't care. They don't even know what UMTS is and that's already launched in the bay area.
    Last edited by taylorh; 12/14/2005 at 01:21 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Aight guys, sorry for the delay. I purchased the phone off ebay for $715 and it will be here today (Friday). I will report back on how it compares to my Treo 650 when it comes. The reason I chose the PDA2K over the K-Jam is because the processor speed and the different kind of keyboard. The only thing I am afraid of is the size of the PDA2k. I never found any side by side photos of a PDA2K and Treo. I hope its not a brick...
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UHWarrior
    Aight guys, sorry for the delay. I purchased the phone off ebay for $715 and it will be here today (Friday). I will report back on how it compares to my Treo 650 when it comes. The reason I chose the PDA2K over the K-Jam is because the processor speed and the different kind of keyboard. The only thing I am afraid of is the size of the PDA2k. I never found any side by side photos of a PDA2K and Treo. I hope its not a brick...
    Not a brick at all. My brother loves that thing. Personally, I hate the keyboard as it contains a filmlike screen with tiny little indents but is not a keypress keyboard. Typing more than just a few letters was not fun. But hey, that's me. You might love the feel and I'm sure you'll enjoy all the features.