Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had a palm pilot back when they actually called it that. Had palm II and a vx with an add on wireless external modem that made it the size of a brick. Had a treo 270, 600 and 650. I truly believe the palm os has been overextrnded. A half dozen resets a day not including the ones I had to do myself? Terrified to install a new app over fears of adding new levels of instability? Required to add all sorts of third-party patches and apps to improve stability? I know some users have found that holy grail of installed apps and utilities to keep their palm more or less stable, but I can't seem to get there. I love the concept of the palm and I hate the inflexibility of the BB. But the 650 would crash and reset insesently. It got so slow at times I had to wait 20 seconds or more to switch screens. I did a hard reset and installed the bare minimum apps I need (chatter, docs to go, vindigo and a few others) and daily resets began again. The phone would be in another room and often I'd hear the chimes of the phone starting up, meaning ANOTHER reset.

Maybe when the windows version comes out, I'll give it a look....but then it's not a palm anymore so why not give the BB a try? Anyway, I have to say that I am disappointed in the BB, its interface and most everything else it does but it DOES NOT CRASH.

Anyway, had to vent a bit, I've been posting here on and off for a long time....
    I'm afraid that over the next two years most of us Palm loyalists will migrate to other platforms. HTC and HP are offering better devices at competitive price points, and if we HAVE TO deal with the darkside, it may as well be someone with more experience at it. Besides, while Palm may try to migrate its good points to WM5, it brings the typical Palm laziness/bean counting as well (who would believe in a WM5 device with 32mb ram EXCEPT for Palm?)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3.    #3  
    I would have to agree - it seems that even Palm is dropping PalmSource. If Palm doesn't have faith in their software for the treo, then why should we.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm afraid that over the next two years most of us Palm loyalists will migrate to other platforms. HTC and HP are offering better devices at competitive price points, and if we HAVE TO deal with the darkside, it may as well be someone with more experience at it. Besides, while Palm may try to migrate its good points to WM5, it brings the typical Palm laziness/bean counting as well (who would believe in a WM5 device with 32mb ram EXCEPT for Palm?)
    How certain are you about that 32Mb figure? Just curious.
    I thought it was 64, but there isn't a list of specs available. Or is there?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My apologies about the 32mb comment. I saw review specs in another forum showing 25.4mb available ram for the user, and assumed it only started with 32mb. Apparently, something uses the first 39mb of the 64mb system RAM.

I'm afraid that over the next two years most of us Palm loyalists will migrate to other platforms.
    I guess I must be in the minority then....
    My apologies about the 32mb comment. I saw review specs in another forum showing 25.4mb available ram for the user, and assumed it only started with 32mb. Apparently, something uses the first 39mb of the 64mb system RAM.

The lovely but apparently HUGE WM5 and all those extra programs(Pocket Office related) probably installed, I bet. Assuming the Treo has the full WM5 version. If it weren't for Palm's shortcomings on phones, I'd stick with them.

I'm so tempted to just carry the TX and a phone(yes going back to 2 devices), and I don't even take the phone on errands lots of times. We'll see. No WM5 purchases have been made yet, except the one already mentioned.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sorry LT, but I just can't do two devices anymore, unless it's a phone connected to a full laptop.
    Sorry LT, but I just can't do two devices anymore, unless it's a phone connected to a full laptop.
    I agree....there are plenty of options that do not require you to go back to the stone age of carrying two devices.
    who would believe in a WM5 device with 32mb ram EXCEPT for Palm?
    i for one wouldnt, that's like selling someone a house and then telling them they only can live in the basement, it's ridiculous!! a real slap in the face if this is true,but if it is then i'm fine staying with the 650, anyway i'll be on the semi- darkside with a dell axim x51 521mhz ppc(in conjunction of course with the 650, that'll be interesting) soon to be in my possesion......!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    I know. But they aren't leaving us with much choice. IF you want updated features, that is. The Treo is good enough for most basic business tasks. And nothing beats that form factor!

I picked up a BB 7250 (Sprint) a few weeks ago as a add on second line. After having 3 Treo's I didn't really need it, I guess I just wanted to see what all the talk was about. Well I'm not going to bore you with a review, but I will say I've grown to like it enough to make it my primary phone, for now anyway. Still have my 650 as back up on second line now.

What I like:
    email, on antenna, longer battery life, feels good in hand, SOILD as a ROCK (in fact I show my Treo friends by doing about a three foot drop test on the table and then say "do that with your Treo") and much better sound quality from the phone, I don't get as many "what did you say". And of course no crashing, it's a very soild OS.

If and when the 700P does arrive, and if it has the BB connect and only if, I will switch back. There is NO app for the Palm, Snapper, Chatter, Versamail that compares to true BB service.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I know. But they aren't leaving us with much choice. IF you want updated features, that is. The Treo is good enough for most basic business tasks. And nothing beats that form factor!
    I don't know about that "form factor" thing. I've been using the Audiovox SMT5600 for about a month now (in between phones since I sent the Treo 650 to eBay heaven), and I love the form factor and features. I originally intended to do the Cingular 8125 (their version of the K-Jam) but I'm convinced to go with the Cingular 2125 (to add EDGE, 64mb ram, WM5, QVGA screen).

It is so small and light - you're carrying a cell phone again. And the sound/voice quality, compared to ANY former Treo, is incredible (whens the last time you used the Treo 650 for a day without 2-3 "what did you say" conversations?) Your contacts, calendar, and tasks are always there for reference when needed.

There is no qwerty keyboard - but I realized after about a week I do 80-90% of my Treo input/editing through Outlook 2003 anyway. T9 is marginal (at best) for input, but it does get the job done. And who was I kidding - I rarely ever tackled a large attachment, whether using Documents to Go or Pocket Word on my former PPC's. If I need to look at them, I can use Clearvue or fire up the 2.8 lb IBM X40 and have a real screen and keyboard.

And that became the new metaphor - if it was too big to view/use/browse at EDGE speeds on a QVGA, it deserved the notebook. With EDGE on the 2125, I'll be back to 128-175kbs, and can tether with the notebook. No matter how tricked out I made the Treo 650 (Docs to Go; Office 7; Snappermail; Chattermail; Presenter to Go - and then the PPC's with Textmaker and Planmaker), it NEVER worked as a notebook substitute.

Maybe the 8125 would come closer to the notebook replacement - but the 2125 is only 1/3 (or less) the volume of the 8125.

The next stop for me (after the Cingular 2125) will be in a year or so when HTC releases the "Blizzard" phones which are rumored to be full WM5 devices with a real telephone keypad and a touchscreen. Then, when the urge hits for a longer than T9 email response, you can use Calligrapher or the onscreen keyboard to tap it out.

For this converged junkie - form factor has begun to trump everything.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 12/12/2005 at 09:52 AM.
    The joystick is what kept me from jumping in and getting the 5600. And also no keyboard. Plus it's mini-SD, right? I was tempted about 3 times though, and I wonder what the price is on remaining stock . It would make a good back up. But then I'd finally have to get rid of the Treo, too many phones and devices lying around.

I'm always amazed to read things like this. My Treo 650 is rock solid stable, with 20 or 30 apps installed. I haven't used a WM5 device, but my experience with old version of WM is that they were at least as buggy and unstable as PalmOS.

Hey, buy whatever makes you happy, but don't assume your inability to configure a stable device is a reflection on the platform. It's a reflection on the quality of much of the cheap-*** software available from home based developers, perhaps, but the Treo 650 and P-OS work great for me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I'm always amazed to read things like this. My Treo 650 is rock solid stable, with 20 or 30 apps installed. I haven't used a WM5 device, but my experience with old version of WM is that they were at least as buggy and unstable as PalmOS.

Hey, buy whatever makes you happy, but don't assume your inability to configure a stable device is a reflection on the platform. It's a reflection on the quality of much of the cheap-*** software available from home based developers, perhaps, but the Treo 650 and P-OS work great for me.
    Not to challenge your thesis, but I've had nine years of setting up "stable" Palm OS devices, and only the Treo line is beset by rest problems AND poor voice/sound quality. You cannot tell me that you can go even one day without a caller asking "What did you say" or you asking the same thing of the caller.

As for stability, if Documents to Go, Snappermail, and DateBK5 are "Cheap-*** software" plaguing the Treo 650, then maybe someone needs to take a better look at the brains inside the Treo 650. I'm glad it's perfect for you - but that is not the case for all users.

No platform is perfect, Palm OS or WM5, but when I've had NO resets on my Audiovox SMT5600 or HP 4155 in four weeks, and NOT ONE PERSON has asked me "what did you say" on the 5600, then I know which one is better for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The joystick is what kept me from jumping in and getting the 5600. And also no keyboard. Plus it's mini-SD, right? I was tempted about 3 times though, and I wonder what the price is on remaining stock . It would make a good back up. But then I'd finally have to get rid of the Treo, too many phones and devices lying around.
    The joystick does take getting used to, and it is a mini-SD, but for me it is so nice to have a true cell phone size device, that actually WORKS as a phone. I just didn't find myself doing all those "notebook replacement" things with the Treo 650 that I used to evangelize around here. When you NEED to edit documents or spreadsheets, you need that ultralight laptop. Not exactly an epiphany, but an eye opener for me.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I got my wife a refurbed Audiovox SMT 5600 from the Cingular web site for $30! No rebate, just an awesome price. When I got it I couldn't believe how nice it was. I almost decided to keep it but in my effort to get my wife involved with smartphones I let her keep it. Best buy I've made in a long time. And no, they don't have anymore.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  20.    #20  
    well - the blackberry lasted about two weeks - haha. So inflexible and i hated the way their email combined incoming mail, sent mail and sms all in the same box. I now have an k-jam and i love it. It truly is an amazing device. not without its problems but seems much more stable than my treo did, and the apps just feel like you'd expect modern convergent apps to feel.. the palm apps still feel a bit 1995...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast